Hard Drive Sounds Like Coffee Maker

PuuR

For about a week now my hard drive has made a percolating noise such as a coffee maker, at first i thought it was the CPU fan but upon further inspection it seems to be comming from the hard drive. The drive is not a month old but was the cheapest hard drive i could find on pcpart picker cus my budget was low. It is still working fine but from what i have read that means it is bound to fail.. I have no clue what im doing when it comes to tech stuff so any input is very appreciated. The hard drive is:   HGST Ultrastar 3.5-Inch 1TB 7200RPM SATA II

2 minutes ago, PuuR said:

For about a week now my hard drive has made a percolating noise such as a coffee maker, at first i thought it was the CPU fan but upon further inspection it seems to be comming from the hard drive. The drive is not a month old but was the cheapest hard drive i could find on pcpart picker cus my budget was low. It is still working fine but from what i have read that means it is bound to fail.. I have no clue what im doing when it comes to tech stuff so any input is very appreciated. The hard drive is:   HGST Ultrastar 3.5-Inch 1TB 7200RPM SATA II

Might want to return it for a refund and get a WD or Seagate drive, the are much higher build quality and are worth the extra cash.

I would avoid going cheap on anything crucial to the machine, like a hard drive! I would recommend you move you data to a drive from a known brand like WD or Seagate! Don't even risk losing your data!

Yes, it's 2871 as in the year 2871. I traveled all this way, back in time, just to help you. And you thought your mama lied when she said you were special-_-

Assuming your and my coffee maker make the same sound i would return it since my coffee maker sounds half like somrone drinking with a 10 feet straw and half someone drowning when it is turned on, that isnt a sound any component in a pc should make

CPU:R7 5800X    Motherboard: asrock x470 taichi ultimate   RAM: 32GB G.Skill Ripjaws-V 2X16GB    GPU: Gigabyte GTX1080TI gaming oc 11g   Case: Corsair 600Q Storage: 1TB Samsung 870(boot), samsung 850evo 500GB, 2TB Corsair MX500, samsung 2TB 970 evo plus, WD 5TB black    PSU: Corsair AX860    CPU cooling: Corsair H105

3 minutes ago, SCHISCHKA said:

so it does not make good coffee?

I'm sure the spinning platters are good at grinding up coffee beans 

Alright thanks guys i guess ill have to attempt to return it and get a better one.

3 hours ago, iamdarkyoshi said:

Well is the smart data (download crystaldiskinfo) concerning?

wat

Just now, PuuR said:

wat

http://crystalmark.info/redirect.php?product=CrystalDiskInfoInstaller-en

Download this, tell me what your drive looks like

For example...

This is fine

14801090901801259667346.jpg

This isn't

14801091270132136779383.jpg

http://crystalmark.info/redirect.php?product=CrystalDiskInfoInstaller-en

Download this, tell me what your drive looks like

For example...

This is fine

14801090901801259667346.jpg

This isn't

14801091270132136779383.jpg

http://prntscr.com/dbt7nb 

says its good, but i already got the go ahead from the company to return the product so im going to return it and get a better drive. 

22 minutes ago, PuuR said:

http://prntscr.com/dbt7nb 

says its good, but i already got the go ahead from the company to return the product so im going to return it and get a better drive. 

Well, its got very little use on it and the smart data is good, hitachi drives are generally pretty solid, I'd say the noise was just a normal sound

Well, its got very little use on it and the smart data is good, hitachi drives are generally pretty solid, I'd say the noise was just a normal sound

The noise is constant, as soon as i turn the computer on and until i turn it off. Also i just noticed that while i played games such as the new need for speed and battlefield 1 the usage goes up to 99%. 

20 hours ago, PuuR said:

The noise is constant, as soon as i turn the computer on and until i turn it off. Also i just noticed that while i played games such as the new need for speed and battlefield 1 the usage goes up to 99%. 

Yeah, that's what a hard drive does, it spins and makes noise. All of my past 5 hard drives sounded like they were raping the side of my case, which is why I switched to an SSD.

As for the CPU usage, it's fine, especially for high end games like those.

On 11/26/2016 at 10:20 AM, Mornincupofhate said:

Yeah, that's what a hard drive does, it spins and makes noise. All of my past 5 hard drives sounded like they were raping the side of my case, which is why I switched to an SSD.

As for the CPU usage, it's fine, especially for high end games like those.

i can literally feel the virbation from it in my desk and it will move my mouse a little bit if i put it off the mousemat lol. The computer isnt on my desk either.... I already sent it back and ordered one from WD.

1 hour ago, PuuR said:

i can literally feel the virbation from it in my desk and it will move my mouse a little bit if i put it off the mousemat lol. The computer isnt on my desk either.... I already sent it back and ordered one from WD.

All of my WD blacks shook my case. Buy a cheap 256 gig SSD and put your OS on it then use your hdd for game storage and what not.

• 10 months later...

i had hdd's that made coffeemaker sounds, almost grinding sound with really old ones, but its fine. Your data is not at risk, the drive is just noisy