What kind of key switches you think is best?

I've been doing some window shopping for a mechanical keyboard for a good 6 months now and even got myself a switch tester to know the feel of a mechanical keyboard as I've been accustomed to "good enough is all you need for a keyboard" and membrane was always the default choice.

I finally jumped in and placed an order on massdrop for a full-size mech keyboard that uses Outemu switches. I did a bit of digging online and they seem to be a cheaper version of Cherry switches but with relatively good quality to them. I would have prefferred Cherry MX Brown or the hybrid purple one just to see how it feels on a daily basis, but Outemu Blacks are what I am going for this time around.

I started wondering what people think of less expensive alternatives to Cherry switches, so I'm asking the opinion of the aphionadoes and enthusiasts alike what makes a key switch stand out for you? The clicky sound or the feel of the key you're pressing? I am just curious to know.

3 minutes ago, Jean-Nicholas said:

I've been doing some window shopping for a mechanical keyboard for a good 6 months now and even got myself a switch tester to know the feel of a mechanical keyboard as I've been accustomed to "good enough is all you need for a keyboard" and membrane was always the default choice.

I finally jumped in and placed an order on massdrop for a full-size mech keyboard that uses Outemu switches. I did a bit of digging online and they seem to be a cheaper version of Cherry switches but with relatively good quality to them. I would have prefferred Cherry MX Brown or the hybrid purple one just to see how it feels on a daily basis, but Outemu Blacks are what I am going for this time around.

I started wondering what people think of less expensive alternatives to Cherry switches, so I'm asking the opinion of the aphionadoes and enthusiasts alike what makes a key switch stand out for you? The clicky sound or the feel of the key you're pressing? I am just curious to know.

MX Cherry blues/browns are my favorite tbh. I like that tactile feel to them. Rip off cherry switches aren't actually that bad.

My Current Rig:

CPU: Intel Core i5-6600K CPU Cooler: Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO GPU: ASUS STRIX OC 1070 Motherboard: MSI Z170-A Gaming M5 Memory: Corsair Vengeance LPX 2 x 8GB DDR4-2400 Storage: A-Data Premier 240GB SSD/Seagate Barracuda 2TB 7200RPM Case: NZXT S340 PSU: Corsair RM750i Monitors: Acer R240HY/ Dell S2716DG

https://pcpartpicker.com/list/xwcjLD

i have the kailth or whatever ones, i like them i guess 

Everyone should own a vive.

Mx Speed because every second counts in CSGO

3 minutes ago, Percenary said:

MX Cherry blues/browns are my favorite tbh. I like that tactile feel to them. Rip off cherry switches aren't actually that bad.

Yeah, same here. I thought I liked Blues until I tried a MX Blue K70 at Best Buy and realized that it was actually a really loud click, annoyed me quite a bit. My first mech KB, a Strafe with MX Browns, is coming on December 6th. Picked it up for $70. I like browns for the tactile feel, but relative quietness while retaining the deep, satisfying clack of mech KBs.

-----> Official Unofficial Favorite Keyswitch Type Survey <-----

OWNER OF THE FASTEST INTEL iGPU ON LTT UNIGINE SUPERPOSITION [lol]

GAMING RIG "SNOWBLIND"

CPU i5-13600k | COOLING Corsair H150i Elite Capellix 360mm (White) | MOTHERBOARD Gigabyte Z690 Aero G DDR4 | GPU Gigabyte RTX 3070 Vision OC (White) | RAM  16GB Corsair Vengeance Pro RGB (White)SSD Samsung 980 Pro 1TB | PSU ASUS STRIX 850W (White)CASE  Phanteks G360a (White) | HEADPHONES  Beyerdynamic DT990 Pro | KEYBOARD Zoom75 (KTT Strawberry w/ GMK British Racing Green keycaps) | MOUSE  Cooler Master MM711 (White) MONITOR HP X32 1440p 165hz IPS

WORK RIG "OVERPRICED BRICK"

Mac Studio (M2 Ultra / 128GB / 1TB) | HEADPHONES  AirPods Pro 2 | KEYBOARD Logitech MX Mechanical Mini | MOUSE  Logitech MX Master 3S MONITOR 2x Dell 4K 32"

SECONDARY RIG "ALCATRAZ"

CPU i7-4770K OC @ 4.3GHz | COOLING Cryorig M9i (review| MOTHERBOARD ASUS Z87-PROGPU Gigabyte 1650 Super Windforce OC | RAM  16GB Crucial Ballistix Sport DDR3 1600 MHzSSD Samsung 860 Evo 512GB | HDD Toshiba 3TB 7200RPMPSU EVGA SuperNOVA NEX 750WCASE  NZXT H230 | HEADPHONES  Sony WH-1000XM3  | KEYBOARD Corsair STRAFE - Cherry MX Brown | MOUSE  Logitech G602 MONITOR LG 34UM58-P 34" Ultrawide

HOLA NIGHT THEMERS

GET YOUR ASS ON NIGHT THEME

OTHER TECH I OWN:

MacBook Pro 16" [M1 Pro/32GB/1TB] | 2022 Volkswagen GTI | iPhone 14 Pro | Sony a6000 | Apple Watch Series 8 45mm | 2018 MBP 15" | Lenovo Flex 3 [i7-5500U, HD5500 (fastest on the forum), 8GB RAM, 256GB Samsung 840 Evo] | PS5, Xbox One & Nintendo Switch [Home Theater setup] | DJI Phantom 3 Standard | AirPods 2 | Jaybird Freedom (two pairs) & X2 [long story, PM if you want to know why I have 3 pairs of Jaybirds]

Just now, MANIDY inc said:

i have the kailth or whatever ones, i like them i guess 

Kailth and Gateron aren't exactly Cherry clones from what I read and they feel a bit smoother to use, not as rough or as thick of a plastic casing IIRC.

I definitely recommend getting a switch tester to get a taste on all kinds of switches. This is the one I have https://mechanicalkeyboards.com/shop/index.php?l=product_detail&p=1620 Choose the master kit, which comes with less-common switches as well, like the Outemus you got. Sadly though the tester doesn't come with every switch out there, such as Topres or Zealios. 

Honestly the difference between switch manufacturers is quite subtle so it'll be difficult to tell from one another in a blind test. But rest assured there is a difference, like Gaterons feel a little smoother than cherry MX. 

The Outemus you got there are pretty much chinese MX knock-offs, but they're not the only ones. They're still quite good, just not genuine MX switches. Sometimes you'll have to part with MX if you want something like a nice transparent casing, which Gaterons typically have. Other stuff, like springs or lubrication, are taken to account as well but I don't know too much about that. You can also install o-rings which can help cushion key travel 

Personally I'm liking MX clears and whites/milky. I am pretty drawn to tactile switches honestly. 

5 minutes ago, Jean-Nicholas said:

Kailth and Gateron aren't exactly Cherry clones from what I read and they feel a bit smoother to use, not as rough or as thick of a plastic casing IIRC.

They are clones.

-----> Official Unofficial Favorite Keyswitch Type Survey <-----

OWNER OF THE FASTEST INTEL iGPU ON LTT UNIGINE SUPERPOSITION [lol]

GAMING RIG "SNOWBLIND"

CPU i5-13600k | COOLING Corsair H150i Elite Capellix 360mm (White) | MOTHERBOARD Gigabyte Z690 Aero G DDR4 | GPU Gigabyte RTX 3070 Vision OC (White) | RAM  16GB Corsair Vengeance Pro RGB (White)SSD Samsung 980 Pro 1TB | PSU ASUS STRIX 850W (White)CASE  Phanteks G360a (White) | HEADPHONES  Beyerdynamic DT990 Pro | KEYBOARD Zoom75 (KTT Strawberry w/ GMK British Racing Green keycaps) | MOUSE  Cooler Master MM711 (White) MONITOR HP X32 1440p 165hz IPS

WORK RIG "OVERPRICED BRICK"

Mac Studio (M2 Ultra / 128GB / 1TB) | HEADPHONES  AirPods Pro 2 | KEYBOARD Logitech MX Mechanical Mini | MOUSE  Logitech MX Master 3S MONITOR 2x Dell 4K 32"

SECONDARY RIG "ALCATRAZ"

CPU i7-4770K OC @ 4.3GHz | COOLING Cryorig M9i (review| MOTHERBOARD ASUS Z87-PROGPU Gigabyte 1650 Super Windforce OC | RAM  16GB Crucial Ballistix Sport DDR3 1600 MHzSSD Samsung 860 Evo 512GB | HDD Toshiba 3TB 7200RPMPSU EVGA SuperNOVA NEX 750WCASE  NZXT H230 | HEADPHONES  Sony WH-1000XM3  | KEYBOARD Corsair STRAFE - Cherry MX Brown | MOUSE  Logitech G602 MONITOR LG 34UM58-P 34" Ultrawide

HOLA NIGHT THEMERS

GET YOUR ASS ON NIGHT THEME

OTHER TECH I OWN:

MacBook Pro 16" [M1 Pro/32GB/1TB] | 2022 Volkswagen GTI | iPhone 14 Pro | Sony a6000 | Apple Watch Series 8 45mm | 2018 MBP 15" | Lenovo Flex 3 [i7-5500U, HD5500 (fastest on the forum), 8GB RAM, 256GB Samsung 840 Evo] | PS5, Xbox One & Nintendo Switch [Home Theater setup] | DJI Phantom 3 Standard | AirPods 2 | Jaybird Freedom (two pairs) & X2 [long story, PM if you want to know why I have 3 pairs of Jaybirds]

9 minutes ago, Shiv78 said:

They are clones.

I meant in the same way as Outemu switches are. My bad.

11 minutes ago, Technicolors said:

I definitely recommend getting a switch tester to get a taste on all kinds of switches. This is the one I have https://mechanicalkeyboards.com/shop/index.php?l=product_detail&p=1620 Choose the master kit, which comes with less-common switches as well, like the Outemus you got. Sadly though the tester doesn't come with every switch out there, such as Topres or Zealios. 

Honestly the difference between switch manufacturers is quite subtle so it'll be difficult to tell from one another in a blind test. But rest assured there is a difference, like Gaterons feel a little smoother than cherry MX. 

The Outemus you got there are pretty much chinese MX knock-offs, but they're not the only ones. They're still quite good, just not genuine MX switches. Sometimes you'll have to part with MX if you want something like a nice transparent casing, which Gaterons typically have. Other stuff, like springs or lubrication, are taken to account as well but I don't know too much about that. You can also install o-rings which can help cushion key travel 

Personally I'm liking MX clears and whites/milky. I am pretty drawn to tactile switches honestly. 

I already have the Cooler Master switch tester, but if I hadn't, I'd definetly be looking to get one of those. I do find that MX Black have a nice feel to them, they aren't too loud compared to Blues and Greens. I just wish it wasn't a bad purchase though... I'd be rather upset to see my MKB fail on me after a couple of weeks of gaming because I can't afford a new keyboard every month. Hence why I am moving away from membrane.