USB Ports: How to Identify Intel USB Ports

Hello.

Okay from my basic 2-minute understanding chipsets are what controls USB ports, right? aaaandd I remember reading a while back that motherboards come with like, additional USB ports with 3rd-party USB controllers soldered on to the PCB (like VIA, etc). 

So as per the title, how to do you identify Intel USB Ports?

Some motherboard manuals will actually list which port is connected to which chipset, however you can also check it by using Device Manger in View by Connection mode and moving a USB device around.

1 minute ago, crowy said:

Some motherboard manuals will actually list which port is connected to which chipset, however you can also check it by using Device Manger in View by Connection mode and moving a USB device around.

Okay.sticking it in one at a time then, got it ;) Thanks!

I know that Intel USB 3 don't work without drivers even when you plug in a 2.0 devices like a mouse or keyboard. Well that's how I found out one time when doing a new build and my keyboard and mouse will not work during windows setup. Luckily there is a pair or USB 3 from Asmedia and that did work. After install the OS and Intel USB 3 drivers, the rest of the USB 3 works too.

Intel Xeon E5 1650 v3 @ 3.5GHz 6C:12T / CM212 Evo / Asus X99 Deluxe / 16GB (4x4GB) DDR4 3000 Trident-Z / Samsung 850 Pro 256GB / Intel 335 240GB / WD Red 2 & 3TB / Antec 850w / RTX 2070 / Win10 Pro x64

HP Envy X360 15: Intel Core i5 8250U @ 1.6GHz 4C:8T / 8GB DDR4 / Intel UHD620 + Nvidia GeForce MX150 4GB / Intel 120GB SSD / Win10 Pro x64

HP Envy x360 BP series Intel 8th gen

AMD ThreadRipper 2!

5820K & 6800K 3-way SLI mobo support list