Laptop 4K screen. What's the point?

Hello, 

(Sorry in advance if this is not in the right section or some other related subject)

So I have a question. I realized that a lot of laptops now a days have a 4K screen. But sometimes the GPU can't support 4K, such as a 960m 2gb. Or can it? I honestly don't know. 

So I'm looking for answers; Why do Laptops have 4K screens if the gpu is not powerful enough? Or am I wrong and can almost any gpu run 4k? and is a 960m 2gb even enough for 4k screens. 

Mainstream video editing and non gaming 4K. Not that you have a dedicated gpu you must game on it

Actually I'm with OP on this one:

1) Gaming? Nope, upscaling 1080p is the best you can hope for and well why not just get a 1080p screen then for less $

2) Productivity and editing: On a screen that fucking small? What is this DPI for eagles? It's just damn uncomfortable. At least Mac OS and Linux scale better with high dpi screens so if that's what you're using it goes from a "nope" to a "meh, maybey"

3) 4k video content: If it has a blueray player that can run 4k off it. But opticals are out mostly and streaming 4k content at crap bit rates is hardly worth it vs a 1080p or 1440p laptop screen.

4k screens for laptops are just pointless to me no matter the angle.

-------

Current Rig

-------

2 hours ago, Misanthrope said:

What is this DPI for eagles?

LOLed. 

3 hours ago, Misanthrope said:

For video and photo editors there is value. Anyone who needs to work with color cause in 90% of the times, the 4k display option that manufacturer offer have better color and everything than the 1080p screens. 

Laptop Main

(Retired) Zbook 15: i7-6820HQ, M2000M, 32gb, 512gb SSD + 2tb HDD, 4k Dreamcolor

(Retired) Alienware 15 R3: i7-6820HK, GTX1070, 16gb, 512 SSD + 1tb HDD, 1080p

(Retired) T560: i7-6600U, HD520, 16gb, 512gb SSD, 1620p

(Retired) P650RS: i7-6820HK, 1070, 16gb, 512gb + 1tb HDD, 4k Samsung PLS

(Retired) MBP 2012 Retina: i7-3820QM, GT650M, 16gb, 512gb SSD, 1800p

7 minutes ago, Pendragon said:

LOLed. 

For video and photo editors there is value. Anyone who needs to work with color cause in 90% of the times, the 4k display option that manufacturer offer have better color and everything than the 1080p screens. 

Ok that's a bit counter-intuitive: you get the 4k screen not because of the resolution but cause of color accuracy. I can see that being reasonable...still leaves you wanting eagle eyes though.

-------

Current Rig

-------

11 hours ago, Misanthrope said:

Coming from someone who still owns and presumably uses a 768p monitor, and likely has never owned a 4k screen for themselves. I have the highest end Dell XPS15 and it's 4k screen is amazing. It's simply a pleasure just to look at. 

If you boil things down to "what's the point?" then you can do that for most things. Do you really need a GTX 1070 for 1080p gaming? Do you really need a 1440p or is 1080p enough? Is 16GB of ram even necessary if all you do is gaming? Even video editing doesn't use that much unless you're pushing 4k and high bitrate footage from expensive cameras. For photography(photoshop) it's great by the way. Video editing not as much.

There doesn't have to be a reason, it's because we damn well please, and we can. 4k looks beautiful, and it works on the laptop just as your phone does. High DPI looks crystal clear.

5 hours ago, Andrewf said:

Coming from someone who still owns and presumably uses a 768p monitor, and likely has never owned a 4k screen for themselves. I have the highest end Dell XPS15 and it's 4k screen is amazing. It's simply a pleasure just to look at. 

If you boil things down to "what's the point?" then you can do that for most things. Do you really need a GTX 1070 for 1080p gaming? Do you really need a 1440p or is 1080p enough? Is 16GB of ram even necessary if all you do is gaming? Even video editing doesn't use that much unless you're pushing 4k and high bitrate footage from expensive cameras. For photography(photoshop) it's great by the way. Video editing not as much.

There doesn't have to be a reason, it's because we damn well please, and we can. 4k looks beautiful, and it works on the laptop just as your phone does. High DPI looks crystal clear.

My phone is higher DPI by far than your stupid laptop, not impressed with your rant. You certainly can waste your money stupidly it's a free country after all, have at it.

-------

Current Rig

-------