Can PC's download while in sleep mode?

VagabondWraith
Go to solution Solved by mariushm,

No, it can't, because hard drives are powered off and everything goes to sleep, just the memory sticks remain powered to keep the data in ram refreshed. In deeper sleep modes (hybernation for example) even the ram contents is dumped to hard drive and the ram is no longer refreshed.

PS4/ Xbones don't actually download in stand-by... well, actually what they mean by stand-by is not the same stand-by computers have.  In stand-by Xbox one from what I see on various sites uses 92 watts.  Computers in stand-by hover at something like 10-25 watts... in hybernation, they barely use any watts.

Most modern computers adjust the frequency of cpu cores down when they're not used, so the power consumption drops a lot. Video cards also have very low power consumptions when idle, in windows.. talking about 5-10 watts. Also, you can configure your computer to turn off things that aren't actively used, like for example turn off hard disks that aren't used after 10-15 minutes of no access.

So it's quite possible for a computer downloading a file over night accessing just one hard disk, to use as little as 25-30 watts depending on what processor you have.

I've wondered this. I have a bunch of games I would like to download overnight without leaving the PC fully on. Is it possible for a desktop PC? 

The PS4/Xbone is able to download in standby, so that got me thinking... why not PC's?

CPU: Intel Core i7 7820X Cooling: Corsair Hydro Series H110i GTX Mobo: MSI X299 Gaming Pro Carbon AC RAM: Corsair Vengeance LPX DDR4 (3000MHz/16GB 2x8) SSD: 2x Samsung 850 Evo (250/250GB) + Samsung 850 Pro (512GB) GPU: NVidia GeForce GTX 1080 Ti FE (W/ EVGA Hybrid Kit) Case: Corsair Graphite Series 760T (Black) PSU: SeaSonic Platinum Series (860W) Monitor: Acer Predator XB241YU (165Hz / G-Sync) Fan Controller: NZXT Sentry Mix 2 Case Fans: Intake - 2x Noctua NF-A14 iPPC-3000 PWM / Radiator - 2x Noctua NF-A14 iPPC-3000 PWM / Rear Exhaust - 1x Noctua NF-F12 iPPC-3000 PWM

Mostly because PC (or at least Windows) sleep mode shuts down pretty much everything other than RAM and USB ports (there's obviously other parts that are still running, but those two are very important). Downclocking the CPU and GPU would do something similar to a standby mode, which basically puts everything into low power mode, unlike sleep mode, which actually shuts down a lot of the system. 

No, it can't, because hard drives are powered off and everything goes to sleep, just the memory sticks remain powered to keep the data in ram refreshed. In deeper sleep modes (hybernation for example) even the ram contents is dumped to hard drive and the ram is no longer refreshed.

PS4/ Xbones don't actually download in stand-by... well, actually what they mean by stand-by is not the same stand-by computers have.  In stand-by Xbox one from what I see on various sites uses 92 watts.  Computers in stand-by hover at something like 10-25 watts... in hybernation, they barely use any watts.

Most modern computers adjust the frequency of cpu cores down when they're not used, so the power consumption drops a lot. Video cards also have very low power consumptions when idle, in windows.. talking about 5-10 watts. Also, you can configure your computer to turn off things that aren't actively used, like for example turn off hard disks that aren't used after 10-15 minutes of no access.

So it's quite possible for a computer downloading a file over night accessing just one hard disk, to use as little as 25-30 watts depending on what processor you have.

I know PS4 can download while sleeping because it has a second CPU system for networking. PCs do not have this. I think MACs can do it.

☼

ψ ︿_____︿_ψ_   

Great! Thank you guys!

CPU: Intel Core i7 7820X Cooling: Corsair Hydro Series H110i GTX Mobo: MSI X299 Gaming Pro Carbon AC RAM: Corsair Vengeance LPX DDR4 (3000MHz/16GB 2x8) SSD: 2x Samsung 850 Evo (250/250GB) + Samsung 850 Pro (512GB) GPU: NVidia GeForce GTX 1080 Ti FE (W/ EVGA Hybrid Kit) Case: Corsair Graphite Series 760T (Black) PSU: SeaSonic Platinum Series (860W) Monitor: Acer Predator XB241YU (165Hz / G-Sync) Fan Controller: NZXT Sentry Mix 2 Case Fans: Intake - 2x Noctua NF-A14 iPPC-3000 PWM / Radiator - 2x Noctua NF-A14 iPPC-3000 PWM / Rear Exhaust - 1x Noctua NF-F12 iPPC-3000 PWM