MSI M3, M5, M7, M9.. Makes me dizzy

Andzon

I wish there was just a simple pick when it comes to PC parts, but there's a jungle of different things with slight differences and prices. Black Friday is tomorrow, and I'm getting a lot of new stuff. I had an MSI Z170 M9 Gaming on my shopping list until i browsed through their website and found out all different kinds of M*s and more. I'm a simple dude, I just want a GTX1080, no SLI. What are the differences in all of these versions, an extra port here and there, better overclocking? I think I waste most of my free time after work with this and it gets more confusing each time. My vision is getting blurry. Help!

Just now, KeFy said:

take a look at this 

I know which GPU I want, this thread was for a motherboard specifically.

the cheapest Z170 one with the features you want, dont get a super expensive motherboard and save that cash for other things :) 

I spent $2500 on building my PC and all i do with it is play no games atm & watch anime at 1080p(finally) watch YT and write essays...  nothing, it just sits there collecting dust...

Builds:

The Toaster Project! Northern Bee!

The original LAN PC build log! (Old, dead and replaced by The Toaster Project & 5.0)

Spoiler

"Here is some advice that might have gotten lost somewhere along the way in your life. 

#1. Treat others as you would like to be treated.

#2. It's best to keep your mouth shut; and appear to be stupid, rather than open it and remove all doubt.

#3. There is nothing "wrong" with being wrong. Learning from a mistake can be more valuable than not making one in the first place.

Follow these simple rules in life, and I promise you, things magically get easier. " - MageTank 31-10-2016

6 minutes ago, KeFy said:

take a look at this 

???

he was referring to mobo

2 minutes ago, Bananasplit_00 said:

the cheapest Z170 one with the features you want, dont get a super expensive motherboard and save that cash for other things :) 

i agree

2 minutes ago, Bananasplit_00 said:

I just dont know if the cheapest has everything i want, can it limit my GPU or CPU in any way? Say if i pick M3 over M9, will my in game performance be the same?

1 minute ago, Andzon said:

I just dont know if the cheapest has everything i want, can it limit my GPU or CPU in any way? Say if i pick M3 over M9, will my in game performance be the same?

yes, the only thing that may change is overclocking stability when doing more higher end overclocks where the cheapest may not have the same amount of power fases and cheaper VRMs compared to other ones but if you dont plan on doing watercooling and OCing all you can out of your CPU there will be no change here, it dosent limit preformance at all just what you can put in there and how far you can overclock sometimes

I spent $2500 on building my PC and all i do with it is play no games atm & watch anime at 1080p(finally) watch YT and write essays...  nothing, it just sits there collecting dust...

Builds:

The original LAN PC build log! (Old, dead and replaced by The Toaster Project & 5.0)

Spoiler

"Here is some advice that might have gotten lost somewhere along the way in your life. 

#2. It's best to keep your mouth shut; and appear to be stupid, rather than open it and remove all doubt.

#3. There is nothing "wrong" with being wrong. Learning from a mistake can be more valuable than not making one in the first place.

Follow these simple rules in life, and I promise you, things magically get easier. " - MageTank 31-10-2016

1 minute ago, Bananasplit_00 said:

yes, the only thing that may change is overclocking stability when doing more higher end overclocks where the cheapest may not have the same amount of power fases and cheaper VRMs compared to other ones but if you dont plan on doing watercooling and OCing all you can out of your CPU there will be no change here, it dosent limit preformance at all just what you can put in there and how far you can overclock sometimes

Perfect answer, thank you a lot!

Just now, Andzon said:

Perfect answer, thank you a lot!

yah dont over spend on motherboards lol, i litteraly got the cheapest Z97 motherboard that was ATX that i could find when i got mine and i have a really solid OC right now with my 4690K at 4.7GHz :D 

Builds:

Spoiler