Is it right to gloat yet?

Hi All,

I'm new to overclocking and PC building, but have got my i7 5820k to 4.5Ghz and it's not crashing in Unigene Valley, Heaven, 3dMark Time Spy or Aida64*.

Parts list is here: http://uk.pcpartpicker.com/list/rT8wcc

At idle, the temps run around 28 to 33 degrees.

I've upped the CPU multiplier to 45 and memory to XMP profile 1 (2666Mhz) and it runs at 72 degrees indefinitely (over 3 hours so far) with CPU, Memory and GPU tick boxes selected (not FPU, cache or local disks). Also, I've pressed the physical GPU higher power limit button on the graphics card, I'm running the graphics card at 1100Mhz via Trixx, and I've upped the Trixx software power limit to +50%.

I haven't changed any other settings, and the CPU core voltage builds from 1.19v to 1.243v in CPUID. I believe the core voltage is set to variable voltage as again, I haven't changed anything else.

However, When I run the AIDA64 system stability test with every tick box selected aside from "stress local disks", the system will crash within seconds, hence the asterisk (*) above.

When I'm gaming or running the visual benchmarks mentioned, It's not crashed once for over a month now.. only while stress testing above in AIDA64 with FPU, Cache and local disks selected .

Should I just leave it be and be happy with the OC (and likely start gloating), or does the FPU or Cache test crashes indicate a problem yet to surface if / when I start encoding videos.

All the best,

ChrisDiz

Don't start gloating yet bud ;)

(look at my signature)

Nice OC though; awesome voltage, extra performance on my 5820k is great! Wonder how high you can get yours to clock at 1.35-1.4V provided you have the cooler to handle it.

Gaming - Ryzen 5800X3D | 64GB 3200mhz  MSI 6900 XT Mini-ITX SFF Build

Home Server (Unraid OS) - Ryzen 2700x | 48GB 3200mhz |  EVGA 1060 6GB | 6TB SSD Cache [3x2TB] 66TB HDD [11x6TB]

You can gloat if you can get one stable at 5-6Ghz, 4.5Ghz is a pretty average overclock. 

•E5-2670 @2.7GHz • Intel DX79SI • EVGA 970 SSC• GSkill Sniper 8Gb ddr3 • Corsair Spec 02 • Corsair RM750 • HyperX 120Gb SSD • Hitachi 2Tb HDD •

Haha.. Fair enough! Thanks guys and / or girls! It's good to know I've got some headroom to play with.

I'll push it some more in a few months then, but for now, should I be worried about the FPU AIDA64 stress tests?

What does the FPU actually test or do? I read somewhere it pumps Prime95 level voltages (the bad kind) into Haswell-E chips.. Is FPU not a good option to select, or is my OC not as good as it could be?

Ps. I just noticed the core voltage sits at 0.973v at idle too, went up to 1.246v, and the Max temp was 72, average temp hovered around 66. I'm guess I'm fairly happy!! 8D

ChrisDiz