Headphone Dilemma

Hi everyone, I'm on the lookout for a pair of headphones, so far only used closed-portable ones (like the Monopice 8323 and the like).
Want something for home use mostly for music, some movies here and there, although nothing MichaelBay-esque (no explosions and such). Looking for something that has great soundstage, $300 tops. So far, I've seen that the AKGS and the Fidelio X2 both have good soundstage, but kind of mixed reviews about the Fidelios (v-shaped sound, grainy, shouty), although they don't need an amp. AKG soundstage may be somewhat "artificial" sounding acording to some reviews, and also require proper amplification. As for amp/dac, I've at my dissposal my sister's E10K and a friend GO450, I'm planning on buying whichever sounds the best.

After reading the recommended gear post here and a few reviews on the internet, Im considering K701/702(the 702 doesn't seem to have those bumps on the headband anymore according to amazon) or Fidelio X2 as of now. HE 400i is $249 but they have small soundstage apparently. Don't know about the soundstage of the HD600. Not considering Massdrop editions.

Do you know of other hps with good soundstage that I've missed? Any imput will be appreciated. Thanks.

1 hour ago, SheetProject said:

Hi everyone, I'm on the lookout for a pair of headphones, so far only used closed-portable ones (like the Monopice 8323 and the like).
Want something for home use mostly for music, some movies here and there, although nothing MichaelBay-esque (no explosions and such). Looking for something that has great soundstage, $300 tops. So far, I've seen that the AKGS and the Fidelio X2 both have good soundstage, but kind of mixed reviews about the Fidelios (v-shaped sound, grainy, shouty), although they don't need an amp. AKG soundstage may be somewhat "artificial" sounding acording to some reviews, and also require proper amplification. As for amp/dac, I've at my dissposal my sister's E10K and a friend GO450, I'm planning on buying whichever sounds the best.

After reading the recommended gear post here and a few reviews on the internet, Im considering K701/702(the 702 doesn't seem to have those bumps on the headband anymore according to amazon) or Fidelio X2 as of now. HE 400i is $249 but they have small soundstage apparently. Don't know about the soundstage of the HD600. Not considering Massdrop editions.

Do you know of other hps with good soundstage that I've missed? Any imput will be appreciated. Thanks.

HD600 has very little sound stage. HD650 has a larger one, but it still isn't big. 

Maybe a used pair of HD700 if you can find them?

Hey! New SIgnature! 

I'm supposedly a person on the Internet, but you'll never know if I'm human or not ;)

45 minutes ago, KaminKevCrew said:

HD600 has very little sound stage. HD650 has a larger one, but it still isn't big. 

Maybe a used pair of HD700 if you can find them?

IDK if HD700 are the best option unless one tests them first.

n0ah1897, on 05 Mar 2014 - 2:08 PM, said:  "Computers are like girls. It's whats in the inside that matters.  I don't know about you, but I like my girls like I like my cases. Just as beautiful on the inside as the outside."

3 hours ago, spwath said:

IDK if HD700 are the best option unless one tests them first.

Yeah, very mix reviews about those, so not really interested in ordering them.

So basically, is a "pick your poison" situation, between the headphones I listed (K702/Fidelio X2), right? Will the GeekOut 450 or the E10k be enough to drive the K702?

2 hours ago, SheetProject said:

Yeah, very mix reviews about those, so not really interested in ordering them.

So basically, is a "pick your poison" situation, between the headphones I listed (K702/Fidelio X2), right? Will the GeekOut 450 or the E10k be enough to drive the K702?

ATH AD-1000X. Known for larger than average soundstage along with the rest of the AD line. Should have a smoother signature than Beyer DT line, X2, or AKG 7xx, and great mids for vocals.

Caveat is that it has the funky ATH head cradle arrangement which I forget the name of at the moment.

Also of general note: soundstage is going to sound "unnatural" with headphones, period. You're just not going to get the spatial cues with two-channel material over headphones that you would with decent speakers.

3 hours ago, SSL said:

ATH AD-1000X. Known for larger than average soundstage along with the rest of the AD line. Should have a smoother signature than Beyer DT line, X2, or AKG 7xx, and great mids for vocals.

Caveat is that it has the funky ATH head cradle arrangement which I forget the name of at the moment.

Also of general note: soundstage is going to sound "unnatural" with headphones, period. You're just not going to get the spatial cues with two-channel material over headphones that you would with decent speakers.

Yeah, never even considered the Audio Technica line-up because of that. Tried them once (AD-700) and boy were those uncomfortable. But this was years ago, and if its soundstage is great... I'll check out reviews/impressions on them.

And yes, I'm aware soundstage in headphones will always be unnatural compared to a proper 2.0/2.1 system. What I ment was that the AKG usually get the reputation to being even more so, or so I've read.

Anyways, as of now I'm thinking of going with the K702. Do you think an E10k or GO450 could be able to drive them well enough?

4 hours ago, SheetProject said:

Yeah, never even considered the Audio Technica line-up because of that. Tried them once (AD-700) and boy were those uncomfortable. But this was years ago, and if its soundstage is great... I'll check out reviews/impressions on them.

And yes, I'm aware soundstage in headphones will always be unnatural compared to a proper 2.0/2.1 system. What I ment was that the AKG usually get the reputation to being even more so, or so I've read.

Anyways, as of now I'm thinking of going with the K702. Do you think an E10k or GO450 could be able to drive them well enough?

I would skip Fiio.

AKG K/Q701's are a good choice, if you wanted a bit more bass i'd go with the K7xx

6 hours ago, SSL said:

I would skip Fiio.

I've searched info about the AD1000X, and ended intrigued by the non-x AD2000 instead. Sadly, it's the same as the MA900: hard to find and overpriced as of now.

As for amps, I'll look into the GO1000 or some schiit then... If you have any other amp recommendations under $300 that could work well with the K702, I'd love to hear them. Thanks!

6 hours ago, Smoka said:

AKG K/Q701's are a good choice, if you wanted a bit more bass i'd go with the K7xx

I think the 702 sounds kind of the same to the 712/7xx now since they use the new earpads.

Looks like the K7xx are on Massdrop if you wanted those