How do you identify if either motherboard or CPU is dead

Ilyas123

So I built this PC around two months ago, everything seemed fine but yesterday when I tried turning on my PC everything that was connected to the mobo isn't working but every fan and Led that is connected to my PSU works, I tried removing all cables and reinstalling, switch ram sticks, trying ram one at a time, clearing CMOS nothing seems to work.. it once or twice randomly started working again but after an hour of use it goes back to the way it is.. the motherboard has a small red led beside the where it says "CPU" indicating that there is an error with the CPU but I still can't be sure whether it's the cpu or mobo.. I don't have another system to test this on, what should I do send both the cpu and mobo or is there a way to identify whether it's the cpu or mobo 

Motherboard: H110i PRO AC

CPU: i5 6500

PSU: EVGA supernova 550 G2

(everything is less then two months old)

3 minutes ago, Ilyas123 said:

So I built this PC around two months ago, everything seemed fine but yesterday when I tried turning on my PC everything that was connected to the mobo isn't working but every fan and Led that is connected to my PSU works, I tried removing all cables and reinstalling, switch ram sticks, trying ram one at a time, clearing CMOS nothing seems to work.. it once or twice randomly started working again but after an hour of use it goes back to the way it is.. the motherboard has a small red led beside the where it says "CPU" indicating that there is an error with the CPU but I still can't be sure whether it's the cpu or mobo.. I don't have another system to test this on, what should I do send both the cpu and mobo or is there a way to identify whether it's the cpu or mobo 

Can you give us every single spec

The geek himself.

The likelihood of a CPU death is minuscule, very very rare. It's most likely something else.

i7 4790K || R9 290X + R9 290 || 16GB G.Skill TridentX 1866 || Gigabyte Z97MX Gaming 5 || Crucial MX100 256GB || WD Caviar Blue 1TB

9 minutes ago, Dawson Wehage said:

Can you give us every single spec

RAM DDR4 8x2gb 2400ghz

CPU cooler: H100i GTX (yes that she overkill I know)

9 minutes ago, Litargirio said:

The likelihood of a CPU death is minuscule, very very rare. It's most likely something else.

You think it's the motherboard?

4 minutes ago, Ilyas123 said:

Sadly there's no sure-fire way of telling which is bricked without known-good replacement hardware. Sometimes, but not often the symptoms change depending on whether or not you have the CPU installed. So if you're desperate enough, breadboard the motherboard and only plug in the PSU, the CPU and the CPU fan. pay close attention to how the fan spins. How long it takes to start, how fast it spins up, if it spins up to full speed right away or just nudges a tiny bit and so on. Then take the CPU out and see if anything at all changes. This is by no means certain but if your CPU bricked and the board is ok, there should be a change in the way it behaves.

If I were you, I'd comb though the motherboard looking for scratches and bent pins. Front and back and not just the CPU socket but the PCI-E and DIMMs too. Shining a bright light from like the flash on your phone makes it easier to find cut traces. There's a layer of lacquer on the PCB but if there's a scratch that cuts a trace, the copper shines clearly back. Most common places are around the screw holes and along the side to the left of the board where the I/O bracket of the GPU would scrape. Might take a keen/trained eye though.

This doesn't apply to you but maybe someone in the future can use it: If an AMD CPU is bricked or has come loose, often the ODD instantly pulls the tray back in once it's opened.

theres no bent pins on the cpu/socket?

☼

ψ ︿_____︿_ψ_   

6 minutes ago, SCHISCHKA said:

theres no bent pins on the cpu/socket?

I don't think so 

How cheap is the lowliest i3, for testing purposes?

Black Knight-

Ryzen 5 5600, GIGABYTE B550M DS3H, 16Gb Corsair Vengeance LPX 3000mhz, Asrock RX 6800 XT Phantom Gaming,

Seasonic Focus GM 750, Samsung EVO 860 EVO SSD M.2, Intel 660p Series M.2 2280 1TB PCIe NVMe, Linux Mint 20.2 Cinnamon

Daughter's Rig;

MSI B450 A Pro, Ryzen 5 3600x, 16GB Corsair Vengeance LPX 3000mhz, Silicon Power A55 512GB SSD, Gigabyte RX 5700 Gaming OC, Corsair CX430