Anynone with the FT05

Zulkkis

Have you actually ever tried to rotate the case back into the normal orientation? From what I've heard is that natural convention isn't really a thing in a PC case because the fans are much stronger than that.

I have a feeling that the case's air cooling performance has next to nothing to do with the motherboard orientation and net to everything to do with using extra-thick 180 mm fans to pull the air in. It could be interesting if there was a case that actually had a standard orientation with the same intake setup and you wouldn't have to have all the issues with a cumbersome I/O access. Could be even a case project at some point.

4 minutes ago, Zulkkis said:

Have you actually ever tried to rotate the case back into the normal orientation? From what I've heard is that natural convention isn't really a thing in a PC case because the fans are much stronger than that.

I have a feeling that the case's air cooling performance has next to nothing to do with the motherboard orientation and net to everything to do with using extra-thick 180 mm fans to pull the air in. It could be interesting if there was a case that actually had a standard orientation with the same intake setup and you wouldn't have to have all the issues with a cumbersome I/O access. Could be even a case project at some point.

I forget who did it, but someone did a test where they took the first case they did with the 90 degree rotation and a normal case and tested whether the rotation helped or not. But I do remember their conclusion: having a vertical orientation helped a little, but not enough to really matter. Like maybe a handful of degrees.

And yeah, I don't believe natural convection impacts cooling performance all that much. Otherwise the Power Mac G4 Cube should've been just fine. Airflow and breathability are more important than "hot air rises"