1080p on 1440p monitor: text gets blurred?

Alir

I have just bought a 1440p ultrawide monitor for PC usage: gaming, work and everything in between.

It's truly stunning for use on PC but I realised that this resolution is essentially 2x1080p meaning if you're going to display a 1080p resolution, the text gets disgustingly blurred, losing the sharpness of the text. This is disappointing for ancient tech such as the Xbox One and the Raspberry Pi that aren't capable of big boy resolutions.

1) Point being, is there anything I can do about this to make the text sharp again while using a 1080p resolution on a 1440p monitor?

2) Is this normal? I assume it is, it makes sense. It just didn't occur to me before.

If nothing can be done, this new awesome monitor will unfortunately be getting sent back :/

1 hour ago, Alir said:

I have just bought a 1440p ultrawide monitor for PC usage: gaming, work and everything in between.

It's truly stunning for use on PC but I realised that this resolution is essentially 2x1080p meaning if you're going to display a 1080p resolution, the text gets disgustingly blurred, losing the sharpness of the text. This is disappointing for ancient tech such as the Xbox One and the Raspberry Pi that aren't capable of big boy resolutions.

1) Point being, is there anything I can do about this to make the text sharp again while using a 1080p resolution on a 1440p monitor?

2) Is this normal? I assume it is, it makes sense. It just didn't occur to me before.

If nothing can be done, this new awesome monitor will unfortunately be getting sent back :/

It is normal, something called interpolation. There's nothing you can do to change it unfortunately.

22 minutes ago, Glenwing said:

It is normal, something called interpolation. There's nothing you can do to change it unfortunately.

How would this affect a 4k monitor running games at less than 4k? 

I want a 4k monitor, but plan to play on ultra with 1070, so native 4k in some games is out of the question. 

Would 1440p or '2k' suffer on a 4k montior ?

Thanks.

Just now, DaltonM said:

How would this affect a 4k monitor running games at less than 4k? 

I want a 4k monitor, but plan to play on ultra with 1070, so native 4k in some games is out of the question. 

Would 1440p or '2k' suffer on a 4k montior ?

Thanks.

It would have the same effect, but since 4K is such a high resolution it will be much more accurate, closer to native image.

Just now, Glenwing said:

It would have the same effect, but since 4K is such a high resolution it will be much more accurate, closer to native image.

aw thanks :) Good news. 

7 hours ago, Glenwing said:

:/

I really love this monitor (a £750 for £380 - pre-owned). Do you think a higher resolution on PC is worth the compromise of blurry text on 1080p resolutions?

I am considering returning it for a 1080p ultrawide - I already have one, it's just 25" - small.

If you're wondering why I'm asking you to make the decision for me, I'm bad at this stuff and I want an excuse xD