College student looking for a laptop

Hi there people!
I am a college student and I am currently in the market looking for a laptop. I am utterly confused with all the options. I will be using it for programming and media consumption(little to no gaming). I was looking at getting a Macbook Air but I would like your opinion.

All I am looking for in the laptop is good build quality and linux compatibilty. My budget is around the $900. Also I am from India. We get very few laptops here so it would be nice if you suggest more than one laptop as some may not be available here. 

Thank You.

1 minute ago, vogonjeltz said:

Hi there people!
I am a college student and I am currently in the market looking for a laptop. I am utterly confused with all the options. I will be using it for programming and media consumption(little to no gaming). I was looking at getting a Macbook Air but I would like your opinion.

All I am looking for in the laptop is good build quality and linux compatibilty. My budget is around the $900. Also I am from India. We get very few laptops here so it would be nice if you suggest more than one laptop as some may not be available here. 

Thank You.

Xps 13

Unsure what power supply to pick?

Check out my HTPC build.

Quote me/others so we can help you

Comic sans is the best font

Just now, vogonjeltz said:

Hi there people!

Thank You.

How serious will your programming be?  Also, i'd consider increasing your budget to $1200 so that you can get 16GB RAM and possibly an i7.

If it's not that serious (as in smaller projects) then i'd recommend a Dell XPS 13.

If it's serious (As in large scale projects where quad cores are needed) then i'd recommend an XPS 15 (I know this isn't in your budget but i'm just making you aware of it)

Judge a product on its own merits AND the company that made it.

How to setup MSI Afterburner OSD | How to make your AMD Radeon GPU more efficient with Radeon Chill | (Probably) Why LMG Merch shipping to the EU is expensive

Oneplus 6 (Early 2023 to present) | HP Envy 15" x360 R7 5700U (Mid 2021 to present) | Steam Deck (Late 2022 to present)

Mid 2023 AlTech Desktop Refresh - AMD R7 5800X (Mid 2023), XFX Radeon RX 6700XT MBA (Mid 2021), MSI X370 Gaming Pro Carbon (Early 2018), 32GB DDR4-3200 (16GB x2) (Mid 2022

Noctua NH-D15 (Early 2021), Corsair MP510 1.92TB NVMe SSD (Mid 2020), beQuiet Pure Wings 2 140mm x2 & 120mm x1 (Mid 2023),

for build quality I know of levono thinkpad laptops which list a long time and build well. XPS from Dell also look really nice and depending on the configuration would do fine. 

I also agree with AluminiumTech