Need some opinions on my first build

Go to solution Solved by Jake Dalay,

Personally, I think that you don't really need the air cooler at $49, could spend a little more and go AIO water, or less and get fine performance with something a little simpler like a Cooler Master 212 EVO or similar.

I would say that when/if you ever desire to upgrade your CPU to a K series part for overclocking, you will find that you want an AIO water solution anyway. But since the AIO solution won't provide much benefit if any in terms of your experience using the standard clocked i5, I would save the money now and go with the 212 Evo or similar. Put that money into an SSD, and you won't feel so bad about ditching the $50 air cooler later when you want to upgrade.

I myself started with a CM 212 EVO, but seeing as I had a K series i5 that was hot as hell, I upgraded to a h100i from Corsair for overclocking. Ultimately proved futile, as my little chip is just about worthless for overclocking. Many hours of tweaking, low voltages, high voltages, aiming at modest clockspeed boosts and still no stability. Eventually decided to just run it stock, keep the AIO cooler for an upgrade.

If you are only interested in the specified cooler for aesthetic reasons, then I suppose this argument won't sway you much, but the clean metal finish and black fans common to most tower air coolers wouldn't likely be an eyesore. Especially if it is only temporary pending an upgrade as discussed.

Long story short that's my two cents, good luck on the build, and an overall nice job picking parts for your budget. Shame that you'll have to buy an OS, but that's the way the cookie crumbles.

So I'm going to be building my first pc soon, I'll mostly be using it for gaming. Games like bf1, overwatch, csgo, h1z1, and gta on max setting over 60fps. I'd like to keep it under $800 and I'm hoping to get some nice deals during Black Friday/ Cyber Monday which is around the time I'll be buying the parts. It's a white and black theme and I want the pc to look great (to show off to my friends and stuff xD) but also be great for gaming. Any suggestions on parts and stuff would be great. Thanks :) 

The cpu is missing because I'm putting my i5 4460 in from my prebuilt and I have a hard drive too

Heres the build http://pcpartpicker.com/list/hgdCFd

2 minutes ago, Sportmax8 said:

So I'm going to be building my first pc soon, I'll mostly be using it for gaming. Games like bf1, overwatch, csgo, h1z1, and gta on max setting over 60fps. I'd like to keep it under $800 and I'm hoping to get some nice deals during Black Friday/ Cyber Monday which is around the time I'll be buying the parts. It's a white and black theme and I want the pc to look great (to show off to my friends and stuff xD) but also be great for gaming. Any suggestions on parts and stuff would be great. Thanks :) 

The cpu is missing because I'm putting my i5 4460 in from my prebuilt and I have a hard drive too

Try and find a decent i5 on sale, the 6500 is the best cost per dollar one I do believe, maybe if you're on a budget don't be so chosey on the white theme? I have to sacrifice my red and black theme and use the corsair 200r, no window but decent cheap case.

Please Quote me when replying.
CPU
 - Ryzen 7 5800X3D | RAM - 32GB DDR4 4000Mhz | MB - MSI B550 A-PRO | Boot - 2TB NVME 980 Evo Plus | GPU - EVGA FTW3 RTX 3090 24GB

Just now, OnionRings said:

Try and find a decent i5 on sale, the 6500 is the best cost per dollar one I do believe, maybe if you're on a budget don't be so chosey on the white theme? I have to sacrifice my red and black theme and use the corsair 200r, no window but decent cheap case.

Already have a cpu like I said, might be upgrading it in the future though to a i7 4790k. And I was thinking about a red and black build, but I'm pretty set on the white and black theme, I think it can work for my budget since I already have a cpu 

You don't need the z97 MB because you have non-K CPU. YOu don't need to buy windows 10 KEy if you have an old windows 7 Key from old pc or laptop

You can invest the money in SSD or smt.

Just now, Sportmax8 said:

Already have a cpu like I said, might be upgrading it in the future though to a i7 4790k. And I was thinking about a red and black build, but I'm pretty set on the white and black theme, I think it can work for my budget since I already have a cpu 

Idk how TF I missed that bold black text... *facepalm* anyway you won't need an i7 unless you want to do content creation, hyper threading doesn't benefit games enough to match the cost. And if you do get an i7 the 6700k would be fine, clock it higher for better single core performance which games benfit more from VS more cores (over 4). Other then that it looks fine, if you get a lot of parts on sale you should be good, scan kinguin or other sites for cheap but legit windows keys, I got mine for 20$ USD windows 10 pro. About the CPU if I might suggest, the 6600k, when you do decide to upgrade or if they go on sale really cheap or something, it'd be a damn good gaming cpu and can be OC'd 

CPU
 - Ryzen 7 5800X3D | RAM - 32GB DDR4 4000Mhz | MB - MSI B550 A-PRO | Boot - 2TB NVME 980 Evo Plus | GPU - EVGA FTW3 RTX 3090 24GB

8 minutes ago, Slottr said:

Throw in an SSD, get windows from /r/microsoftsoftwareswap

how safe is using microsoftswap and I'm kinda worried that I'll get a fake key or something 

5 minutes ago, SmashinMachine said:

You don't need the z97 MB because you have non-K CPU. YOu don't need to buy windows 10 KEy if you have an old windows 7 Key from old pc or laptop

You can invest the money in SSD or smt.

I like the look of it, I'll likely be upgrading my cup in the future,  can't transfer windows from a prebuilt to a new build 

Just now, Sportmax8 said:

How save

how safe is using microsoftswap and I'm kinda worried that I'll get a fake key or something 

I haven't heard of that site, look up reviews on youtube maybe, I know kinguin is good, Paul uses it. And the SSD is a luxury, not for us budgeters. But if you do want one for your longer load time games there is I think an 840 pro 250g for like 90$ somewhere, unless that was a sale, but you might find a decent sale on cyber monday/BF but honestly mechanical drives are often overlooked, unless you need to create content really fast or are just super impatient, save your money. Not saying they aren't worth it, I want one myself eventually but HDDs are underrated.

CPU

9 minutes ago, Sportmax8 said:

Why do you need a Z97? If you do want a full white motherboard have a look at the Z97 Sabertooth Mark S(pricey but pretty). Adding a 65$ OCZ trion 150 240GB or an 80$ Crucial MX300 275GB will improve system performance drastically.

Just now, OnionRings said:

I haven't heard of that site, look up reviews on youtube maybe, I know kinguin is good, Paul uses it. And the SSD is a luxury, not for us budgeters. But if you do want one for your longer load time games there is I think an 840 pro 250g for like 90$ somewhere, unless that was a sale, but you might find a decent sale on cyber monday/BF but honestly mechanical drives are often overlooked, unless you need to create content really fast or are just super impatient, save your money. Not saying they aren't worth it, I want one myself eventually but HDDs are underrated.

Yeah I've heard about kinguin and I was gonna use it but I found some people saying its a scam, what's your experience with it?

4 minutes ago, Sportmax8 said:

Ive gotten multiple keys off of it, and all have worked.

Community Standards || Tech News Posting Guidelines

---======================================================================---

CPU: R5 3600 || GPU: RTX 3070|| Memory: 32GB @ 3200 || Cooler: Scythe Big Shuriken || PSU: 650W EVGA GM || Case: NR200P

4 minutes ago, YaqinHasan said:

Why do you need a Z97? If you do want a full white motherboard have a look at the Z97 Sabertooth Mark S(pricey but pretty). Adding a 65$ OCZ trion 150 240GB or an 80$ Crucial MX300 275GB will improve system performance drastically.

Thanks I'll look into an ssd, as for the saber tooth mark, I don't see it in stock anywhere

7 minutes ago, Sportmax8 said:

Yeah I've heard about kinguin and I was gonna use it but I found some people saying its a scam, what's your experience with it?

Never used it but Paul's hardware does and I highly doubt a channel of his size would advertise a scam site.

CPU

Personally, I think that you don't really need the air cooler at $49, could spend a little more and go AIO water, or less and get fine performance with something a little simpler like a Cooler Master 212 EVO or similar.

I would say that when/if you ever desire to upgrade your CPU to a K series part for overclocking, you will find that you want an AIO water solution anyway. But since the AIO solution won't provide much benefit if any in terms of your experience using the standard clocked i5, I would save the money now and go with the 212 Evo or similar. Put that money into an SSD, and you won't feel so bad about ditching the $50 air cooler later when you want to upgrade.

I myself started with a CM 212 EVO, but seeing as I had a K series i5 that was hot as hell, I upgraded to a h100i from Corsair for overclocking. Ultimately proved futile, as my little chip is just about worthless for overclocking. Many hours of tweaking, low voltages, high voltages, aiming at modest clockspeed boosts and still no stability. Eventually decided to just run it stock, keep the AIO cooler for an upgrade.

If you are only interested in the specified cooler for aesthetic reasons, then I suppose this argument won't sway you much, but the clean metal finish and black fans common to most tower air coolers wouldn't likely be an eyesore. Especially if it is only temporary pending an upgrade as discussed.

Long story short that's my two cents, good luck on the build, and an overall nice job picking parts for your budget. Shame that you'll have to buy an OS, but that's the way the cookie crumbles.

PC hardware still on a budget, 2 graduate degrees later.

CPU: Ryzen 5 3600

GPU: EVGA Geforce GTX 780

2 hours ago, Jake Dalay said:

Thanks for the advice, yeah I'm mostly looking at that cooler because it's white and looks nice but I'll look into getting a AIO cooler because it would still look nice or even better and be better for overclocking when I upgrade my cpu. Yeah it sucks I have to buy an OS since I already have one but apparently can't somehow transfer it from my prebuilt :(

I'm not an expert on OS transfer, but I would add that my guess is that newer systems, like at least windows 8+ based builds, they come from factory install keyed to your particular device based on something pre-startup, like BIOS level. At least, I feel like I remember reading something about that ages ago. Something about not being able to just get your key, make install media, and go with that. However, with one other poster linking to rather affordable $40 keys (not a direct link, but the source he referred to contains such prices) it's not nearly so bad as full price. I'd probably take the "risk" in making such a purchase. But if I were you I would make absolutely certain there was no way to get that old OS on the new PC, do some real homework on the subject, and try some suggestions. If it works, even if you already purchased a Windows 10 key, you can always save it for later or sell it—assuming it is actually legit to begin with.

PC hardware still on a budget, 2 graduate degrees later.

CPU: Ryzen 5 3600

GPU: EVGA Geforce GTX 780