r9 fury vs 1070

AndyGamming

Hi, I want to know if the r9 fury deserve and if is equal with a gtx 1070

Fury x is a little bit weaker than the gtx 1070, and 1070's drivers havent matured yet. Fury on the other hand doesnt even compare to it. its similar performance as the gtx 980

No, the Fury is slower. The Fury is a little behind a Fury X which is a bit slower than a 980Ti (aftermarket designs) which is a bit slower (at stock) than a GTX 1070, however if the price difference is considerable, the Fury is a viable choice that's faster than RX 480, R9 390X, R9 Nano, GTX 1060 6GB and GTX 980.

I very recently bought the best R9 Fury available: Sapphire R9 Fury Nitro, and I can tell you, got no regrets, the card is excellent in all aspects - performance, temperatures and silence.

CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 5800X3D GPU: AMD Radeon RX 6900 XT 16GB GDDR6 Motherboard: MSI PRESTIGE X570 CREATION
AIO: Corsair H150i Pro RAM: Corsair Dominator Platinum RGB 32GB 3600MHz DDR4 Case: Lian Li PC-O11 Dynamic PSU: Corsair RM850x White

I don't know what to do,upgrade now from a r9 280x to a r9 fury/rx 480 or just wait until christmas for a gtx 1070 (this depends if i sell the r9 280x)

The Fury is somewhere in between the 1060 and the 1070 in performance. However there's been some killer deals on the Fury selling for like 280 bucks. It's kinda sad that the card has been mostly forgotten since it does fit where no other card fits right now. The only con is probably the 4gb HBM vram. It should be relatively ok for 1440p (the card can certainly handle it) but don't be surprised if you have to scale back on a few settings on a few games in the future since as vram keeps increasing devs will get lazier and stop properly compressing their textures and shit.

EDIT: Just saw your last post: if you can go for a 1070 at xmas I'd do that instead: just substantially better since it's a good 20% faster and significantly lower TDP as well (150 watts on the 1070 vs 275 on the Fury)

-------

Current Rig

-------

10 minutes ago, AndyGamming said:

I don't know what to do,upgrade now from a r9 280x to a r9 fury/rx 480 or just wait until christmas for a gtx 1070 (this depends if i sell the r9 280x)

If you're to choose between the 480 and the Fury, get the Fury immediately. But if you can get a GTX 1070, that's a great choice albeit more expensive. But you need a powerful CPU to run it properly, what is your CPU? An i5 will limit 1070's performance at 1080p.

8 minutes ago, Misanthrope said:

The Fury is somewhere in between the 1060 and the 1070 in performance. However there's been some killer deals on the Fury selling for like 280 bucks. It's kinda sad that the card has been mostly forgotten since it does fit where no other card fits right now. The only con is probably the 4gb HBM vram. It should be relatively ok for 1440p (the card can certainly handle it) but don't be surprised if you have to scale back on a few settings on a few games in the future since as vram keeps increasing devs will get lazier and stop properly compressing their textures and shit.

EDIT: Just saw your last post: if you can go for a 1070 at xmas I'd do that instead: just substantially better since it's a good 20% faster and significantly lower TDP as well (150 watts on the 1070 vs 275 on the Fury)

I recently bought my R9 Fury Nitro for a bit less than an ASUS STRIX 1060 6GB and a tiny bit more than an RX 480 8GB - there really are good Fury deals out there ^^

CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 5800X3D GPU: AMD Radeon RX 6900 XT 16GB GDDR6 Motherboard: MSI PRESTIGE X570 CREATION
AIO: Corsair H150i Pro RAM: Corsair Dominator Platinum RGB 32GB 3600MHz DDR4 Case: Lian Li PC-O11 Dynamic PSU: Corsair RM850x White

1 minute ago, AndyGamming said:

I have an i5 4690k, I play only 1080p

Then there will be some certain games where your 4690K can bottleneck the 1070 at 1080p (examples: Battlefield 1, Witcher 3 in some areas), you need to remember that when choosing your GPU. But it's not gonna be every game so it's not gonna be that bad, you just need to keep in mind that you might not get maximum performance possible from the 1070.

I have an i5 4690k, I play only 1080p

The 4690k should be able to handle the 1070 on most situations (except perhaps 100+ fps at 1080p where it's a bit bottlenecked) but if you're staying at 60 FPS then the Fury will do more than great at that. Provided you don't pay much more than what you'd pay for a 1060 I'd go for the Fury most definitively.

-------

Current Rig

-------

3 minutes ago, AndyGamming said:

I have the same price on a r9 fury nitro and a gtx 1060

Get the Fury Nitro then, great price. Mine overclocks to 1150mhz core and 550mhz on HBM memory

6 minutes ago, AndyGamming said:

And it will handle a few years?

It will. For 1080p it's a card that handles basically anything at 60FPS. AMD tends to support their GPUs for a long time driver-wise, it's gonna be better in a long term than a GTX 1060 and it's better even now. It's also significantly better in higher resolutions such as 1440p.

2 minutes ago, AndyGamming said:

So,for next 2-3 years is fine.

Easily. Also, quote people when you respond so they get a notification.

is it noisy?

One of the quietest cards on the market (Sapphire R9 Fury Nitro). One of the coolest too.

4 minutes ago, AndyGamming said:

And one more question, it will fit in a Zalman Z11 Plus?

I'm not sure. It might be too long as it's a fairly long card. Around 31cm, check in your case manual or manufacturer's site what's maximum GPU length allowed

2 hours ago, Morgan MLGman said:

Get the Fury Nitro then, great price. Mine overclocks to 1150mhz core and 550mhz on HBM memory

Have you tried enabling the extra shaders on the core ?  I've seen people turn vanilla fury's into fury x without much effort . 

AMD Ryzen R7 1700 (3.8ghz) w/ NH-D14, EVGA RTX 2080 XC (stock), 4*4GB DDR4 3000MT/s RAM, Gigabyte AB350-Gaming-3 MB, CX750M PSU, 1.5TB SDD + 7TB HDD, Phanteks enthoo pro case

19 minutes ago, Coaxialgamer said:

Have you tried enabling the extra shaders on the core ?  I've seen people turn vanilla fury's into fury x without much effort . 

Not yet, so far I only had time to find a stable overclock that I mentioned above, but I've heard about that, apparently even if not all shaders are available to unlock, you can still unlock at least a part of them for free extra performance. I will definitely try doing that this weekend, or maybe even later today when I get home from work, if you want I can update you whether I succeeded or not :)

1 minute ago, Morgan MLGman said:

Not yet, so far I only had time to find a stable overclock that I mentioned above, but I've heard about that, apparently even if not all shaders are available to unlock, you can still unlock at least a part of them for free extra performance. I will definitely try doing that this weekend, or maybe even later today when I get home from work, if you want I can update you whether I succeeded or not :)

yeah , i'd be pretty interested to see how it turns out.

I did it on my 290 , it's a 290x now lol

AMD Ryzen R7 1700 (3.8ghz) w/ NH-D14, EVGA RTX 2080 XC (stock), 4*4GB DDR4 3000MT/s RAM, Gigabyte AB350-Gaming-3 MB, CX750M PSU, 1.5TB SDD + 7TB HDD, Phanteks enthoo pro case

Just now, Coaxialgamer said:

yeah , i'd be pretty interested to see how it turns out.

Sure ^^ R9 Fury got some HEAVY price cuts and can be had at RX 480/GTX 1060 price range at some locations (Poland for instance, hence why I got it) so it might become a quite popular card once more people realize that. What's funny is that Sapphire Nitro version that I got released in January of this year (!) and got a price cut of around 240$ since then... in 11 months, and that's just because new gens of GPUs released :o With that overclock I get close to 16000 GPU score in Firestrike, but people with unlocked ones get like 18000 cause it's basically an aircooled Fury X then :)

1 minute ago, Morgan MLGman said:

Sure ^^ R9 Fury got some HEAVY price cuts and can be had at RX 480/GTX 1060 price range at some locations (Poland for instance, hence why I got it) so it might become a quite popular card once more people realize that. What's funny is that Sapphire Nitro version that I got released in January of this year (!) and got a price cut of around 240$ since then... in 11 months, and that's just because new gens of GPUs released :o With that overclock I get close to 16000 GPU score in Firestrike, but people with unlocked ones get like 18000 cause it's basically an aircooled Fury X then :)

too bad i got my cards before checking . Oh well . 

Even the 200 series cards have gone WAY down in price . I got my second 290 ( a tri x model ) for 160$