Turning an External HDD into Internal

Scarfold
Just now, batatas said:

Yes it is possible after all a external HDD is just a regular HDD in a enclosure.

But depends sometimes, some smaller one's are made abit differently? (May be wrong, but I got one that seems smaller).

| Intel i5 4670k @ 4.3GHz | XFX RX 480 8 GB | Asus Z87i-Pro | 8.0 GB Kinston DDR3 | Samsung Evo 120GB SSD |

Just now, OLS said:

But depends sometimes, some smaller one's are made abit differently? (May be wrong, but I got one that seems smaller).

Well depends there are 2.5 HDD and the regular 3.5 ones that we use in desktop pcs normally, the 2.5 is the size of a normal ssd, but it is possible to make them even smaller if you use a pci ssd and make it into an external drive.

You can! It's really easy, usually. :) Just open the shell and pull out the drive. :D

Yes, it's 2871 as in the year 2871. I traveled all this way, back in time, just to help you. And you thought your mama lied when she said you were special-_-

it depends, I know the USB 3.0 2.5" 1tb WD externals we have use a proprietary connection when opened up, realistically you have to open it and see what the connections are like.

Long time ago, it's possible. Now it's almost impossible. They either have the USB directly soldered to the HDD or the HDD uses some encryption where it will only work with the controller it came with.

Intel Xeon E5 1650 v3 @ 3.5GHz 6C:12T / CM212 Evo / Asus X99 Deluxe / 16GB (4x4GB) DDR4 3000 Trident-Z / Samsung 850 Pro 256GB / Intel 335 240GB / WD Red 2 & 3TB / Antec 850w / RTX 2070 / Win10 Pro x64

HP Envy X360 15: Intel Core i5 8250U @ 1.6GHz 4C:8T / 8GB DDR4 / Intel UHD620 + Nvidia GeForce MX150 4GB / Intel 120GB SSD / Win10 Pro x64

HP Envy x360 BP series Intel 8th gen

AMD ThreadRipper 2!

5820K & 6800K 3-way SLI mobo support list

1 hour ago, Scarfold said:

Is it possible, and if so how safe is it?

Depends on the drive.  I Had external 4gb drive that when I took it out of the enclosure and plugged it into my PC only showed up as a 2.5gb HDD, but If I connected it back to the enclosure it would show as 4gb again.

Case - Fractal Design Arc Mini R2 : Mobo - Asus Maximus VI Gene : PSU - Corsair AX760 : CPU - Intel i7 4790k w/ EK-Supremacy EVO Copper/Acetal Water Block  : Memory - Corsair Vengence Pro 24gb 1600mhz : GPU - Evga GTX 780 Ti Classified w/ EK-FC780 GTX Classy - Acetal+Nickel Water Block : Storage - Samsung 840 Evo 250gb & 850 Evo 1tb SSDs, 2x 6TB External HDDs : Fans - 5x Noctua NF-F12 & 1x NF-S12A : Display - 24in Benq XL2420TE : Rads - Darkside LPX360 & LP240 : Pump/Res - EK-XRES 140 D5 Vario Pump

1 hour ago, Xanthe_2871 said:

You can! It's really easy, usually. :) Just open the shell and pull out the drive. :D

It's not always easy to open up external hard drives.

"It pays to keep an open mind, but not so open your brain falls out." - Carl Sagan.

"I can explain it to you, but I can't understand it for you" - Edward I. Koch

19 hours ago, Ryoku said:

Depends on the drive.  I Had external 4gb drive that when I took it out of the enclosure and plugged it into my PC only showed up as a 2.5gb HDD, but If I connected it back to the enclosure it would show as 4gb again.

That's some small ass HDD.

Intel Xeon E5 1650 v3 @ 3.5GHz 6C:12T / CM212 Evo / Asus X99 Deluxe / 16GB (4x4GB) DDR4 3000 Trident-Z / Samsung 850 Pro 256GB / Intel 335 240GB / WD Red 2 & 3TB / Antec 850w / RTX 2070 / Win10 Pro x64

HP Envy X360 15: Intel Core i5 8250U @ 1.6GHz 4C:8T / 8GB DDR4 / Intel UHD620 + Nvidia GeForce MX150 4GB / Intel 120GB SSD / Win10 Pro x64

HP Envy x360 BP series Intel 8th gen

AMD ThreadRipper 2!

5820K & 6800K 3-way SLI mobo support list

4 hours ago, NumLock21 said:

That's some small ass HDD.

sorry meant tb not gb.

Case - Fractal Design Arc Mini R2 : Mobo - Asus Maximus VI Gene : PSU - Corsair AX760 : CPU - Intel i7 4790k w/ EK-Supremacy EVO Copper/Acetal Water Block  : Memory - Corsair Vengence Pro 24gb 1600mhz : GPU - Evga GTX 780 Ti Classified w/ EK-FC780 GTX Classy - Acetal+Nickel Water Block : Storage - Samsung 840 Evo 250gb & 850 Evo 1tb SSDs, 2x 6TB External HDDs : Fans - 5x Noctua NF-F12 & 1x NF-S12A : Display - 24in Benq XL2420TE : Rads - Darkside LPX360 & LP240 : Pump/Res - EK-XRES 140 D5 Vario Pump

Let me answer this correctly and dispel the information above. 

The answer is "most likely." The VERY large majority of external drives are simply SATA drives with a (sometimes proprietary) usb to SATA interface. 

If the drive has SATA power and data ports, then yes, you can make it work.

However, there are caveats. Some drives (most notably the WD my book drives) have a "proprietary encryption" that makes the data on the drive unreadable when you pull it out of the enclosure. HOWEVER, a simple reformat will make the drive work internally with your computer. You'll have to go into disk management on windows to reformat the drive. It's not hard. Just make sure you back up the data elsewhere, (because you will lose all of the data on the drive.) then reformat the drive. 

It's completely safe, so long as you back up your data elsewhere before hand. If it's a non WD drive, then just try taking it out of the enclosure and putting it in your computer. It may work right away. You can always put it back IN the enclosure to back up the data...

EDIT: Let me rephrase a bit of what I said above about WD. Not ALL of their drives have this hardware based proprietary encryption, but the majority (or all, I do not know for sure) of their 3.5" external drives do. As far as I know, their "My Book" is their only external 3.5" drive enclosure, and as far as I know, all of their "My Book" drives use hardware encryption. (Both of my "My Books" had it.)

On 11/16/2016 at 4:09 PM, Godlygamer23 said:

It's not always easy to open up external hard drives.

I'll agree with this. I scavenged an enclosure form e-waste to try to pull out the drive to see if it still worked, but it was this ridiculous enclosure that was GLUED shut. You had to cut it open to get the drive out. It was very stupid.

The WD My Books though are pretty easy to take apart. Just a few snaps (that you'll probably break if you take it apart) hold it together. 

On 16.11.2016 г. at 11:44 PM, Scarfold said:

~snip~

Hi there :)

What's the drive's brand and model? 

Generally, as the guys pointed out, you may be able to do that as there is a regular HDD inside the enclosure. 

Mind that some external drives feature hardware encryption which prevents the data on the drive to be read outside the enclosure and you may need to reformat it.

Other drives feature soldered USB connectors on the drive itself so you can't really connect them to a SATA port. 

Usually, removing the drive from its enclosure voids the warranty on the drive and the enclosure so I'd check that too.

Captain_WD. 

If this helped you, like and choose it as best answer - you might help someone else with the same issue. ^_^
WDC Representative, http://www.wdc.com/