Laptop hard drive maximum temperature tolerance

Having seen the video reviewing the new Sager laptop (the one with 2 1080s in it) from LinusTechTips, I decided to empty my bank account and eat nothing but rocks in order to buy one.

However, this laptop has a serious issue. Its vapour chamber cooling solution does cool the graphics card well enough, but the 2 2.5inch hard drives on the other side of the graphics card are getting toasted by the heat produced by the GPU. In fact, the hard drive will get as hot as 76C after long gaming periods! Regardless of a cooling mat blowing at maximum speed.

As you can see here, my config only has one GTX 1080 (because I can't afford 2 of them obviously), the one drive sits near the GPU gets insanely hot while the other one's perfectly fine.

So, my question is, how long can the hard drive survive in this kind of condition? 76C is definitely too hot and I have no doubt it would die young, it's only a matter of time.

And, what's the solution if possible? The graphics card works perfectly fine, so I think there's nothing wrong with the cooling system, it's just a design flaw. Maybe they shouldn't provide us with the HDD option and restrict it to SSD only, in that case I personally will just leave those two slots empty, and not having to deal with this problem.

English is not my native language so please forgive me for poorly constructed sentences.

Sager HDD.PNG

Sager HDD2.PNG

Just now, Electronics Wizardy said:

Look at the temps under load, it could have peaked at the 76 once to never hit that temp again.

For life span, these drives should last 2-3 years+.

Actually I hope that's the case but it's not. With Furmark stressing the GPU, I can reproduce the 70C-ish scenario every time. So maybe not 76C all the time, but when the GPU's under load, the drive will be operating at very high temperatures.

It's irritating that one of them is OK, I would prefer both of them overheats and die together to one of them survives and I have a wasted RAID-0 array.

2 minutes ago, FreshGuy6204 said:

Actually I hope that's the case but it's not. With Furmark stressing the GPU, I can reproduce the 70C-ish scenario every time. So maybe not 76C all the time, but when the GPU's under load, the drive will be operating at very high temperatures.

It's irritating that one of them is OK, I would prefer both of them overheats and die together to one of them survives and I have a wasted RAID-0 array.

back it up and you have a warranty so you fine.

Also furmark runs the gpu's much hotter than most games.

You definitely do not want your drives operating at that temperature for extended periods of time. I would recommend storing all important data on the OTHER hdd, unless they are in a raid0. Use the "hot" drive for programs and games and other things that aren't a big deal if you lose them.

Definitely seems like a 'yuge design flaw on Sager's behalf.

When in doubt, re-format.