i7 vs i5 arma 3

brebis123

HI, I want to build a new gaming pc and I will play primaly arma 3 online ( king of the hill etc...) I heard that arma is very cpu intense and I was wondering which one would be better

Get i5 and make sure to install ARMA on SSD as that makes HUGE difference not just in loading times but especialy in KotH mode it drasticaly reduces stuttering.

Arma 3 (and the rest of the Arma series) are CPU limited, but not exceptionally CPU intensive. The games are basically very bad at utilising multiple cores. There shouldn't be much or any difference in performance for Arma 3 as the main difference in the CPUs is hyperthreading, which Arma 3 doesn't use well. 

Yea there's no real reason to go above an i5 6600k for gaming (I'm sure there are some exceptions). Grab an i7 6700k if you do any type of editing, 3d modeling, etc.

For Arma3 in particular it wont realy matter that much.

Because Arma3 basicly doesnt realy take that much of an advantage of HT.

a lot of the fps is server sided, so the better connection, the better the engine can take advantage of your hardware.

I would go for the 6700k

FPS on arma is never consistent and you will never get a solid number

I generally think that an i7 is better for gaming. However, Arma 3 is a unique case, in that it is very poorly optimized, and doesn't handle hyper-threading very well. I lost a lot of FPS going from an i5 2500k to an i7 2600k, at the same game and CPU settings.

You own the software that you purchase - Understanding software licenses and EULAs

"We’ll know our disinformation program is complete when everything the american public believes is false" - William Casey, CIA Director 1981-1987

If you can afford it, why not go with the 6700k?

Also, messing with your config files and installing the game on a fast SSD will work WONDERS!

This game is so terribly optimized its absolutely insane.

Even DayZ runs better than Arma anymore.