Scientists invent concrete that can shield from EMPs

Faraday cages are known for being a container or room that is able to block electrostatic and electromagnetic influence 

The first cages were made to demonstrate ingenious ideas from Faraday, Franklin and Beccaria which focused on electricity

Later on, Electromagnetic pulses were first observed during the nuclear bombing tests in 1945

We can understand the difficulty of transmitting signals during the explosion when we consider that the gamma rays from the reaction will ionize the air and other material within hundreds of yards.  Fermi has calculated that the ensuing removal of the natural electrical potential gradient in the atmosphere will be equivalent to a large bolt of lightning striking that vicinity. . . .  All signal lines were completely shielded, in many cases doubly shielded.  In spite of this many records were lost because of spurious pickup at the time of the explosion that paralyzed the recording equipment.

Scientists have been finding ways to shield against electromagnetic influence with the military playing a key role in its development 

Though it sometimes comes out of necessity with labs requiring control in their set-ups 

Scientists from the University of Nebraska-Lincoln have developed concrete that can now be used to replace the metal usually required in Faraday Cages

EMP-shielding concrete stemmed from Tuan and Nguyen's partnership to study concrete that conducts electricity. They first developed their patented conductive concrete to melt snow and ice from surfaces, such as roadways and bridges. They also recognized and confirmed it has another important property - the ability to block electromagnetic energy.

Their technology works by both absorbing and reflecting electromagnetic waves. The team replaced some standard concrete aggregates with their key ingredient - magnetite, a mineral with magnetic properties that absorbs microwaves like a sponge. Their patented recipe includes carbon and metal components for better absorption as well as reflection. This ability to both absorb and reflect electromagnetic waves makes their concrete more effective than existing shielding technologies.

It's also more cost-effective and flexible than current shielding methods, Tuan said. Today's shielding technologies employ metal enclosures that require expensive metal panel or screen construction, limiting their feasibility in large structures.

The team of scientists claim that the concrete may actually exceed military shielding requirements which is 

They look to further improving the technology with current markets being the military and financing sector, both require their equipment to be shielded 

Sources: Phys Org, Popular Mechanics, Futurescience 

I will be pouring this stuff into my walls. Those commies wont be emp-ing my build!!

ACER Aspire-V-Nitro                      vn7-592g-77lb

gtx 960m, 16gigs DDR4, i-7 6700HQ quad core, 3tb

Somehow I think it's just concrete with a decent % of metal in it, causing it to basically act like a Faraday cage.

Remember kids, the only difference between screwing around and science is writing it down. - Adam Savage

PHOΞNIX Ryzen 5 1600 @ 3.75GHz | Corsair LPX 16Gb DDR4 @ 2933 | MSI B350 Tomahawk | Sapphire RX 480 Nitro+ 8Gb | Intel 535 120Gb | Western Digital WD5000AAKS x2 | Cooler Master HAF XB Evo | Corsair H80 + Corsair SP120 | Cooler Master 120mm AF | Corsair SP120 | Icy Box IB-172SK-B | OCZ CX500W | Acer GF246 24" + AOC <some model> 21.5" | Steelseries Apex 350 | Steelseries Diablo 3 | Steelseries Syberia RAW Prism | Corsair HS-1 | Akai AM-A1

D.VA coming soon™ xoxo

Sapphire Acer Aspire 1410 Celeron 743 | 3Gb DDR2-667 | 120Gb HDD | Windows 10 Home x32

Vault Tec Celeron 420 | 2Gb DDR2-667 | Storage pending | Open Media Vault

gh0st Asus K50IJ T3100 | 2Gb DDR2-667 | 40Gb HDD | Ubuntu 17.04

Diskord Apple MacBook A1181 Mid-2007 Core2Duo T7400 @2.16GHz | 4Gb DDR2-667 | 120Gb HDD | Windows 10 Pro x32

Firebird//Phoeniix FX-4320 | Gigabyte 990X-Gaming SLI | Asus GTS 450 | 16Gb DDR3-1600 | 2x Intel 535 250Gb | 4x 10Tb Western Digital Red | 600W Segotep custom refurb unit | Windows 10 Pro x64 // offisite backup and dad's PC

Saint Olms Apple iPhone 6 16Gb Gold

Archon Microsoft Lumia 640 LTE

Gulliver Nokia Lumia 1320

Werkfern Nokia Lumia 520

Hydromancer Acer Liquid Z220

This should be really helpful in outer earth bases too eh?

Nonetheless, i suppose important businesses will have scryscrapers using such shielding in the long run, when 100 years from now all deaths will be digital xD.

Groomlake Authority

Just now, VerticalDiscussions said:

This should be really helpful in outer earth bases too eh?

Nonetheless, i suppose important businesses will have scryscrapers using such shielding in the long run, when 100 years from now all deaths will be digital xD.

This guy gets it

3 hours ago, sventhegreat2 said:

I will be pouring this stuff into my walls. Those commies wont be emp-ing my build!!

Yea but then your wifi will be useless.

3 minutes ago, MoonSpot said:

Yea but then your wifi will be useless.

Tin Foil Hatter-y 101:

You only put it on external walls.

PSU Tier List | CoC

Gaming Build | FreeNAS Server

Spoiler

i5-4690k || Seidon 240m || GTX780 ACX || MSI Z97s SLI Plus || 8GB 2400mhz || 250GB 840 Evo || 1TB WD Blue || H440 (Black/Blue) || Windows 10 Pro || Dell P2414H & BenQ XL2411Z || Ducky Shine Mini || Logitech G502 Proteus Core

Spoiler

FreeNAS 9.3 - Stable || Xeon E3 1230v2 || Supermicro X9SCM-F || 32GB Crucial ECC DDR3 || 3x4TB WD Red (JBOD) || SYBA SI-PEX40064 sata controller || Corsair CX500m || NZXT Source 210.

30 minutes ago, M.Yurizaki said:

In addition to what @djdwosk97 said, it'll actually be better now that everyone else's Wi-Fi will stop interfering with yours.

Except if you turn on the microwave.

Accidentally leave the microwave oven's door open and the whole house cooks...

I like the tech though, if it is an economically competitive concoction I'd consider it.

That's awesome.

| Ryzen 7 7800X3D | AM5 B650 Aorus Elite AX | G.Skill Trident Z5 Neo RGB DDR5 32GB 6000MHz C30 | Sapphire PULSE Radeon RX 7900 XTX | Samsung 990 PRO 1TB with heatsink | Arctic Liquid Freezer II 360 | Seasonic Focus GX-850 | Lian Li Lanccool III | Mousepad: Skypad 3.0 XL / Zowie GTF-X | Mouse: Zowie S1-C | Keyboard: Ducky One 3 TKL (Cherry MX-Speed-Silver)Beyerdynamic MMX 300 (2nd Gen) | Acer XV272U | OS: Windows 11 |

7 hours ago, DatSpeed said:

Faraday cages are known for being a container or room that is able to block electrostatic and electromagnetic influence 

The first cages were made to demonstrate ingenious ideas from Faraday, Franklin and Beccaria which focused on electricity

Later on, Electromagnetic pulses were first observed during the nuclear bombing tests in 1945

Scientists have been finding ways to shield against electromagnetic influence with the military playing a key role in its development 

Though it sometimes comes out of necessity with labs requiring control in their set-ups 

Scientists from the University of Nebraska-Lincoln have developed concrete that can now be used to replace the metal usually required in Faraday Cages

The team of scientists claim that the concrete may actually exceed military shielding requirements which is 

They look to further improving the technology with current markets being the military and financing sector, both require their equipment to be shielded 

Sources: Phys Org, Popular Mechanics, Futurescience 

... coming soon the great wall of mexico will be EMP safe start building your future home behind it . when mexico gets pissed for having to pay for it

main rig

Spoiler

corsair 750d | evga 1000w g2 | Gigabyte x99 soc champ | 5820k 4.0GHz | 1tb wd blue | 250gb samsung 840 evo  | Crucial Ballistix Sport XT 16GB 8x2 DDR4-2400 | MSI GTX 970 x2 | monitor Acer B286HK 28" 4K | razor chroma blackwidow  | razor death adder chroma

CENTOS 7 SERVER (PLEX&docker stuff)

Spoiler

NZXT s220 | evga 500w 80+ | AMD FX 8320e | ASUS M5A78L-M/USB3 | 2x8gb non ecc ddr3 WD red 2TBx2 | seagate 160gb microcenter 8gb flashdrive OS

12 hours ago, djdwosk97 said:

Tin Foil Hatter-y 101:

You only put it on external walls.

Bah!  That's what ethernet cables are for; wifi is for streaming music out to the yard and garage when I have to do things.

Jokes aside, one would think that if this is infact affordable and credible, that most corporate HQ's (that deal with sensitive material) and Gov building would use it in up coming projects and renovations.