Girlfriend Looking for Handheld DSLR or otherwise Cam for YouTube Channel

My girlfriend is looking to start off and long-held initiative and start her own youtube channel. The challenge is that she needs a piece of mobile hardware that will allow her to take videos with high fidelity both in the house and on the go. For this reason, I've steered her in the direction of a DSLR with video capability...but seek the ineffable wisdom of the community for specific product recommendations, as the extend of my expertise ends with streaming webcams.

Thank you and L&R for the insight. 

This is the Craft of PC Building. Mastered. #AshlarPC

check out the sony RX100. It's a great little vlogging camera, with an articulating screen and stuff.

Also, the canon G7x

Snorlax: i7 5820k @4.5ghz, Asus X99 Pro, 32gb Corsair Vengeance LPX 2666, Cryorig R1 Ultimate, Samsung 850 evo 500gb, Asus GTX 1080 ROG Strix, Corsair RM850x, NZXT H440, Hue+

Smallsnor: Huawei Matebook X

Canon AE-1 w/ 50mm f/1.8 lens

Pentax KM w/ 55mm f/1.8 SMC lens

Zenit-E w/ 58mm f/2 Helios lens

Panasonic G7 with 14-42mm f/3.5 lens

Polaroid Spectra System

4 minutes ago, shadowbyte said:

check out the sony RX100. It's a great little vlogging camera, with an articulating screen and stuff.

Also, the canon G7x

No need for a DSLR or auto cap attachments?

Just now, Omnislash89 said:

No need for a DSLR or auto cap attachments?

no, they're both integrated lens cameras

It sounds like they'd suit here better than a massive DSLR

Snorlax: i7 5820k @4.5ghz, Asus X99 Pro, 32gb Corsair Vengeance LPX 2666, Cryorig R1 Ultimate, Samsung 850 evo 500gb, Asus GTX 1080 ROG Strix, Corsair RM850x, NZXT H440, Hue+

Polaroid Spectra System

3 minutes ago, shadowbyte said:

no, they're both integrated lens cameras

It sounds like they'd suit here better than a massive DSLR

She frankly is looking for something just underneath the creme of the crop. She sees alot of her Youtube models using DSLRs for video cap and wants to model off of them, but she is unsure of the specific models to look at (she knows it is going to be pricy). 

(think david dobrick and liza koshy or the gabbie show)

btw THANK YOU for your input. I am literally out of my element in this question.

She frankly is looking for something just underneath the creme of the crop. She sees alot of her Youtube models using DSLRs for video cap and wants to model off of them, but she is unsure of the specific models to look at (she knows it is going to be pricy). 

btw THANK YOU for your input. I am literally out of my element in this question.

ah, ok I see

in that case, take a look at the Panasonic G7 and GH4

Polaroid Spectra System

3 minutes ago, shadowbyte said:

ah, ok I see

in that case, take a look at the Panasonic G7 and GH4

The G7 (based on an amazon search) is about 1/3 the price of the GH4 and less expensive than the snapshots listed previously... is this normal??

The G7 (based on an amazon search) is about 1/3 the price of the GH4 and less expensive than the snapshots listed previously... is this normal??

yeah, I don't know

It's a bit of a pricing anomaly. It's a great camera afaik, and has 4K video capability. The GH4 is more premium, of course, but the G7 is more than adequate.

HardwareCanucks uses the GH4, H7, and RX100 personally.

Polaroid Spectra System

1 minute ago, shadowbyte said:

yeah, I don't know

It's a bit of a pricing anomaly. It's a great camera afaik, and has 4K video capability. The GH4 is more premium, of course, but the G7 is more than adequate.

So essentially, you've recommended a high end and mainstream option per the requirements so spoken thus far?

At a factor of 70% price premium, I think we've reached a decision :)

Thank you very much for your knowledge!

50 minutes ago, Omnislash89 said:

So of those same YouTube models of hers started doing drugs and said it's cool to become an addict... she's going to do whatever they say?

45 minutes ago, shadowbyte said:

yeah, I don't know

Have you explained to him how much needs to be invested in using a photo camera for video?  I don't see a list of audio, camera support, lighting, and if necessary focus and stabilization systems.

That is not dead which can eternal lie.  And with strange aeons even death may die. - The Call of Cthulhu

A university is not a "safe space". If you need a safe space, leave, go home, hug your teddy & suck your thumb until ready for university.  - Richard Dawkins

I'd think about getting an older DSLR like a T3i and installing Magic Lantern on it. You can do some pretty solid photography work with those, and they should be able to be had quite cheap. If she decides she really wants to go into it and she's doing well, that's when she could upgrade to something better and more expensive.

1 hour ago, AkiraDaarkst said:

So of those same YouTube models of hers started doing drugs and said it's cool to become an addict... she's going to do whatever they say?

Have you explained to him how much needs to be invested in using a photo camera for video?  I don't see a list of audio, camera support, lighting, and if necessary focus and stabilization systems.

Someone's a little cranky. How is that even related? She went to the effort of seeing what the people she watches use, and thought that'd be a good idea too. It has nothing to do with blindly following them.

Have you thought that maybe someone just starting out, who's doing it more for fun than anything doesn't need those extra things? Because you really don't.

CPU: Ryzen 9 5900 Cooler: EVGA CLC280 Motherboard: Gigabyte B550i Pro AX RAM: Kingston Hyper X 32GB 3200mhz

Storage: WD 750 SE 500GB, WD 730 SE 1TB GPU: EVGA RTX 3070 Ti PSU: Corsair SF750 Case: Streacom DA2

Monitor: LG 27GL83B Mouse: Razer Basilisk V2 Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red Speakers: Mackie CR5BT

MiniPC - Sold for $100 Profit

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i3 4160 Cooler: Integrated Motherboard: Integrated

RAM: G.Skill RipJaws 16GB DDR3 Storage: Transcend MSA370 128GB GPU: Intel 4400 Graphics

PSU: Integrated Case: Shuttle XPC Slim

Monitor: LG 29WK500 Mouse: G.Skill MX780 Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red

Budget Rig 1 - Sold For $750 Profit

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i5 7600k Cooler: CryOrig H7 Motherboard: MSI Z270 M5

RAM: Crucial LPX 16GB DDR4 Storage: Intel S3510 800GB GPU: Nvidia GTX 980

PSU: Corsair CX650M Case: EVGA DG73

OG Gaming Rig - Gone

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i5 4690k Cooler: Corsair H100i V2 Motherboard: MSI Z97i AC ITX

RAM: Crucial Ballistix 16GB DDR3 Storage: Kingston Fury 240GB GPU: Asus Strix GTX 970

PSU: Thermaltake TR2 Case: Phanteks Enthoo Evolv ITX

Monitor: Dell P2214H x2 Mouse: Logitech MX Master Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red

3 hours ago, dizmo said:

Someone's a little cranky. How is that even related? She went to the effort of seeing what the people she watches use, and thought that'd be a good idea too. It has nothing to do with blindly following them.

Have you thought that maybe someone just starting out, who's doing it more for fun than anything doesn't need those extra things? Because you really don't.

It doesn't matter if someone is starting out or not, if someone uses a photo camera for video, they will need an external mic.  The mics that are inside photo cameras are next to useless.

I'm guessing you don't use a DSLR for video.

she needs a piece of mobile hardware that will allow her to take videos with high fidelity both in the house and on the go.

A pretty decent camcorder can do this easily and it will be easier to use.

That is not dead which can eternal lie.  And with strange aeons even death may die. - The Call of Cthulhu

A university is not a "safe space". If you need a safe space, leave, go home, hug your teddy & suck your thumb until ready for university.  - Richard Dawkins

6 hours ago, AkiraDaarkst said:

It doesn't matter if someone is starting out or not, if someone uses a photo camera for video, they will need an external mic.  The mics that are inside photo cameras are next to useless.

I'm guessing you don't use a DSLR for video.

A pretty decent camcorder can do this easily and it will be easier to use.

Nope, not true, and yes, I have used a DSLR for video. I shot my gf's entire University project on one, including a great deal out outdoor shooting.

They're far from useless.

A mic is also a very cheap add on. Not entirely needed, but far from expensive.

CPU: Ryzen 9 5900 Cooler: EVGA CLC280 Motherboard: Gigabyte B550i Pro AX RAM: Kingston Hyper X 32GB 3200mhz

Storage: WD 750 SE 500GB, WD 730 SE 1TB GPU: EVGA RTX 3070 Ti PSU: Corsair SF750 Case: Streacom DA2

Monitor: LG 27GL83B Mouse: Razer Basilisk V2 Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red Speakers: Mackie CR5BT

Spoiler

RAM: G.Skill RipJaws 16GB DDR3 Storage: Transcend MSA370 128GB GPU: Intel 4400 Graphics

Spoiler

OG Gaming Rig - Gone

Spoiler

RAM: Crucial Ballistix 16GB DDR3 Storage: Kingston Fury 240GB GPU: Asus Strix GTX 970

Monitor: Dell P2214H x2 Mouse: Logitech MX Master Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red

2 hours ago, dizmo said:

Nope, not true, and yes, I have used a DSLR for video. I shot my gf's entire University project on one, including a great deal out outdoor shooting.

They're far from useless.

A mic is also a very cheap add on. Not entirely needed, but far from expensive.

Audio is more important than video! Everyone focuses on getting a pretty picture but that doesn't matter at all if it sounds like youre in an echo chamber no one will enjoy watching it.

It is entirely needed. 

I'd get a Rode SmartLav+... it plugs into a smart phone and has great quality for the price. 

12 hours ago, dizmo said:

I'd think about getting an older DSLR like a T3i and installing Magic Lantern on it. You can do some pretty solid photography work with those, and they should be able to be had quite cheap. If she decides she really wants to go into it and she's doing well, that's when she could upgrade to something better and more expensive.

You need to calm down because you clearly have no idea what you're talking about.

3 minutes ago, mama_fluxus said:

Audio is more important than video! Everyone focuses on getting a pretty picture but that doesn't matter at all if it sounds like youre in an echo chamber no one will enjoy watching it.

It is entirely needed. 

I'd get a Rode SmartLav+... it plugs into a smart phone and has great quality for the price. 

Depends on the acoustics of the room ;)

I did say it'd be advantageous but it really depends on the content.

You could also get a mic that goes on the desk, you don't need one that plugs into the camera.

1 minute ago, mama_fluxus said:

You need to calm down because you clearly have no idea what you're talking about.

Except for my friends that have done it with a DSLR, right? Right. 9_9

Spoiler

Spoiler

OG Gaming Rig - Gone

Spoiler

3 minutes ago, dizmo said:

Depends on the acoustics of the room ;)

I did say it'd be advantageous but it really depends on the content.

You could also get a mic that goes on the desk, you don't need one that plugs into the camera.

Except for my friends that have done it with a DSLR, right? Right. 9_9

What acoustics would effect a lav mic?

And yeah I'v shot shorts for ESPN played on national TV so I might know a thing or two as well ;) 

3 minutes ago, dizmo said:

Depends on the acoustics of the room

Only if one is trying to record a band.  For most audio for video, it depends on the mic setup.  And generally speaking, all the mics that are built into DSLRs and Mirrorless cameras, and even worse, compact cameras are pretty much the worst.  Because they're tiny, they're placed inside camera bodies near stuff like mechanical shutters, the camera bodies themselves can sort of act as echo chambers, nearly all the audio recorded by those mics require a lot of post processing to make them clean if it can be processed at all.  But it's not just the mics, the pre-amps that are built into the cameras are also bad.  The dynamic range and noise floor of audio systems built into photo cameras are generally SHIT.

If someone wants clean high quality audio, an external mic is necessary when using a DSLR/Mirrorless photo camera for video.  Even low end camcorders should be using external mics, however because camcorders are designed for video use the audio package they come with are a bit better than those inside photo cameras.

So someone who is a beginner, like the OP's girlfriend, using a photo camera for video will require some extra accessories besides the camera itself, while if she spends $500 (that's about the same price as a Panasonic G7 on B&H and Adorama with their current deal) she will get a pretty nice camcorder with nice image quality and one which will be easier to use anywhere.  I looked up the names the OP mentioned

14 hours ago, Omnislash89 said:

and I have a fairly good idea of what his girlfriend wants to do.  I think a camcorder will be easier and faster for her to use than a photo camera video rig.

As others have said if she really want to use a fullsize dslr she will need to get a good external mic. If the plan is to make vlogs then you will probably talk quite a bit and well you will want that audio to be clean and good. And the recording places will probably less than ideal several times like windy or in a large crowd of peole where a good mic will be needed for the content to be enjoyed. 

Just think of it how you feel when you listen to a song in a really low quality, (if you have ever done that) its a horrible experience. 

And other accessorices that can be nice to have is a gorillapod with a ball head as Casey Neistat does which will make your life a bit easier and also a ring light could be useful at times. 

Camera wise the G7 is probably a good choice but I have also seen people using Leica Q's (which however is very pricey) but have a great look that will stand out from the crowd and is also very small and lightweight. Similar cameras to that would be a Sony A6300 which is very small and easy to carry around with the downside being battery life. 

FX-8350 GTX760 16GB RAM 250GB SSD + 1TB HDD

"How many roads must a man walk down?" "42"