Linux ubuntu problem

When I installed linux ubuntu it instaled into a 4.4 gb section of the hard drive i now freed up the old windows partition and want to add it to the ubuntu section can anyone help?

I already have gone into the disk manager and when i try anything the disk is in use or a partition is in use. I would like to not have to reinstall the os,

My rig  case- Graphite 600t white CPU-i5 3570k OC 4.0Ghz RAM- 8gb Vengeance memory HDD-WD Black 1tb PSU-tx650 GPU- MSI 770 gameing edition 2gb , gtx 650 1gb Motherboard- asrock extreme 3 z77 Fan controller- NZXT sentry lx CPU cooler- H60 Peripherals- g300 mouse G630 headset k70 silver cherry mx red switches  my free nas nas Case- Dell something.. Ram- 8 gb ecc ddr 2 CPU - Pentium D 3.0ghz HDD currently 160 gb adding 3tb wd red “Sucking at something is the first step to being sorta good at something” –Jake the Dog

You need to make a live USB. You will need a .iso of Ubuntu from their website. http://www.ubuntu.com/download/desktop/create-a-usb-stick-on-ubuntu

Boot it up and instead of installing (because you already have Ubuntu installed) go into gparted/disk manager. From what you have said I think you should have a Linux partition (probably ext4) and a Windows partition (ntfs). Delete the ntfs partition so it is now unallocated space. Then resize the Linux partition as large as you want.

[spoiler=My Current PC]AMD FX-8320 @ 4.2 Ghz | Xigmatek Dark Knight Night Hawk II | Gigabyte GA-990FXA-UD3 | 8GB Adata XPG V2 Silver 1600 Mhz RAM | Gigabyte 3X Windforce GTX 770 4GB @ 1.27 Ghz/7.25 Ghz | Rosewill Hive 550W Bronze PSU | Fractal Design Arc Midi R2 | Samsung Evo 250 GB SSD | Seagate Barracuda 1TB HDD | ASUS VS239H-P | Razer Deathadder 2013 Partlist

LTT Build-Off Thread: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/35226-the-ltt-build-off-thread-no-building-required/

You need to make a live USB. You will need a .iso of Ubuntu from their website. http://www.ubuntu.com/download/desktop/create-a-usb-stick-on-ubuntu

Boot it up and instead of installing (because you already have Ubuntu installed) go into gparted/disk manager. From what you have said I think you should have a Linux partition (probably ext4) and a Windows partition (ntfs). Delete the ntfs partition so it is now unallocated space. Then resize the Linux partition as large as you want.

I already deleted and formated ntfs (windows) partition i just need to add it. I am going to try this thank you for the help. Will mark as solved when i am done

My rig  case- Graphite 600t white CPU-i5 3570k OC 4.0Ghz RAM- 8gb Vengeance memory HDD-WD Black 1tb PSU-tx650 GPU- MSI 770 gameing edition 2gb , gtx 650 1gb Motherboard- asrock extreme 3 z77 Fan controller- NZXT sentry lx CPU cooler- H60 Peripherals- g300 mouse G630 headset k70 silver cherry mx red switches  my free nas nas Case- Dell something.. Ram- 8 gb ecc ddr 2 CPU - Pentium D 3.0ghz HDD currently 160 gb adding 3tb wd red “Sucking at something is the first step to being sorta good at something” –Jake the Dog

so i am confused it now no longer wants to boot to the flash drive and not working. I also just completely wiped thje drive thinking it would be better so that i could have all of the drive dedicated to this instead of it being in multiple partitions. so any suggestions?

the boot order is set to boot from a flashdrive

@CornOnJacob so i am currently unable to get it to boot into the linux on the flashdrive it keeps going into the ubuntu loading screen and then to a command line saying that there is no aactive file system on the drive. I keep having this come up any ideas?

@CornOnJacob so i am currently unable to get it to boot into the linux on the flashdrive it keeps going into the ubuntu loading screen and then to a command line saying that there is no aactive file system on the drive. I keep having this come up any ideas?

I'm not sure. Try using Unetbootin to make the live usb. If that doesn't work, you could try make a gparted live usb, instead of a full ubuntu (because gparted is all you really need for partition management).

If neither of those works, you could make another thread on it or ask me about a specific error.

[spoiler=My Current PC]AMD FX-8320 @ 4.2 Ghz | Xigmatek Dark Knight Night Hawk II | Gigabyte GA-990FXA-UD3 | 8GB Adata XPG V2 Silver 1600 Mhz RAM | Gigabyte 3X Windforce GTX 770 4GB @ 1.27 Ghz/7.25 Ghz | Rosewill Hive 550W Bronze PSU | Fractal Design Arc Midi R2 | Samsung Evo 250 GB SSD | Seagate Barracuda 1TB HDD | ASUS VS239H-P | Razer Deathadder 2013 Partlist

LTT Build-Off Thread: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/35226-the-ltt-build-off-thread-no-building-required/

I'm not sure. Try using Unetbootin to make the live usb. If that doesn't work, you could try make a gparted live usb, instead of a full ubuntu (because gparted is all you really need for partition management).

If neither of those works, you could make another thread on it or ask me about a specific error.

OK i have it ready but i have a weird error with my flash drive where there is 3 volumes. One is 2.1 mb and the other 2 equal the other 8 gb of the drive. In disk management i only have the option toi reformat the 2.1 mb section and can not add or do anything with the other 2

Fixed the usb iussue just about to install it

Edited by Qpm5

Fixed the usb iussue just about to install it

Good luck :)

I have given up now nothing i have done is working it no longer boots from the flashdrive which i tested on my pc also. Disks do not work either would not boot from it at all and every time i try it keeps saying boot failure and not working. It is all my faulkt but now i have an extra 80 gb to add to my Nas since the drive still does work. @CornOnJacob thank you for your help

Sometimes when I have live USB issues with Ubuntu I try a different USB port. Really, it matters! And sometimes I have to perform multiple formats of the USB and burn the iso again for it to work properly. (BTW, I use http://www.pendrivelinux.com/universal-usb-installer-easy-as-1-2-3/ on windows or good ol' dd in linux)

Sometimes when I have live USB issues with Ubuntu I try a different USB port. Really, it matters! And sometimes I have to perform multiple formats of the USB and burn the iso again for it to work properly. (BTW, I use http://www.pendrivelinux.com/universal-usb-installer-easy-as-1-2-3/ on windows or good ol' dd in linux)

I already tried all of them.... I also tried that tool, unebootin, and one other. I am now just going to be using the windows version and putting it on my laptop.