Is it safe to clean your PC outside when it is -5-10 celcius (23-14 degrees)

Qrko
Go to solution Solved by Mira Yurizaki,

The only worry would be thermal stressing. i.e., you don't want to have everything at near freezing then power it up and fire up a game or something. Otherwise there's no issue with doing this.

Moisture would only be a problem if the components are at the dew point of the inside temperature. Otherwise, I would imagine since inside warmer air tends to have lower relative humidity, this shouldn't be much of a problem either.

So I started to planning to clean my pc and I wanted to clean my pc somewhere else than where I usually use it. So I thought outside but the weather is snowy and cold around 5-10 celsius (23-14 degrees) and that got me wondering is that good for my pc if I'm gonna be outside around 15-45 minutes cleaning it.

Does anyone have experience or knowledge in this matter ?

2 minutes ago, Qrko said:

So I started to planning to clean my pc and I wanted to clean my pc somewhere else than where I usually use it. So I thought outside but the weather is snowy and cold around 5-10 celsius (23-14 degrees) and that got me wondering is that good for my pc if I'm gonna be outside around 15-45 minutes cleaning it.

Does anyone have experience or knowledge in this matter ?

For an extended period of time you will want to let it sit and warm back up to room temperature before turning it on. 

Just now, Christopher_ said:

I should be ok as long as it dosent get any moisture.

Well the air is quite dry in the winter so I think it doesn't get dangerous amounts of moisture. But if it does get a bit moist can't I just let it dry out a bit and then it would be okay ?

The only worry would be thermal stressing. i.e., you don't want to have everything at near freezing then power it up and fire up a game or something. Otherwise there's no issue with doing this.

Moisture would only be a problem if the components are at the dew point of the inside temperature. Otherwise, I would imagine since inside warmer air tends to have lower relative humidity, this shouldn't be much of a problem either.

2 minutes ago, M.Yurizaki said:

Okay I'm just a bit worried about when you come from outside to inside it tends to create kind of mist / water condensing in surfaces so will that create issues.

1 minute ago, Qrko said:

Okay I'm just a bit worried about when you come from outside to inside it tends to create kind of mist / water condensing in surfaces so will that create issues.

Oh, speaking of humidity...

Since I mentioned inside air tends to be warmer with less relative humidity, that means it's easier to generate static. So be careful.

2 minutes ago, M.Yurizaki said:

Oh, speaking of humidity...

Since I mentioned inside air tends to be warmer with less relative humidity, that means it's easier to generate static. So be careful.

But this will be safe, but I just have to be careful with static electricity and let the computer warm up to the room temperature before using it. Anything else come to mind ?

Used to abuse a laptop in -20°C (was in car overnight) -> Turn on in warm room. Never had a problem with it. But I still wouldn't recommend doing that. You should definitely let it warm up to room temp and check for condensation before turning it on.

1 hour ago, Qrko said:

do you run a humidifier in the house to include putting on a pot of water to let steam to raise the indoor humidity?

22 hours ago, Thunderpup said:

do you run a humidifier in the house to include putting on a pot of water to let steam to raise the indoor humidity?

No, I just notice the water condencing to my glasses when I come inside after being outside +30 mins.

Asking as you eliminate moisture and dust you should be fine, but if your thinking about cleaning it outside, dust probably isn't a problem.

3 hours ago, Qrko said:

No, I just notice the water condencing to my glasses when I come inside after being outside +30 mins.

That is because the air inside the house is more humid and because your glasses are colder, the water from the air accumulates there.

Cold air stores less humidity.

Main rig: Shockwave - MSI Z170 Gaming 7 MOBO, i7-6700k, 16GB DDR4 3000 MHz RAM, KFA2 GTX 980ti HOF, Corsair RM1000 PSU, Samsung 850 EVO 250GB SSD, WD 7200RPM 3TB, Corsair Air 540 White, ASUS P278Q 1440p 144Hz display.

Laptop: Lenovo Y510p, i7-4700HQ, 12 GB (8+4) 1600MHz DDR3 RAM, GT755 2GB SLI graphis card, 1366x768 display.