AVG Safe search

SO I got the AVG secure search bs and I got rid of it except in Google Chrome, it has the AVG logo (photo attached)  and when I search AVG in my files the chrome files come up... but I can't delete them for whatever reason... so what should I do?  Also what harm will AVG do? 

post-26103-0-63883200-1382768429.png

AVG should do no harm whatsoever. Did AVG secure search change your default search provider?

No... but I don't want grossness that I didn't install, in principle!  I tried reinstalling chrome same story any idea how to get rid of it, it seems to only be in chrome... I hunted down all the other files! 

No, probably a plugin....

Go to the Tools -> Extensions and remove it.

Then set default search back to google in the settings tab.

I've had that stupid thing be an actual program and install itself on every thing it could get its grubby paws on. I guess it depends which bloatware it was, but I'd check the Windows Uninstall anyway to be sure it's gone.

My previous 4P Folding & current Personal Rig

I once was a poor man, but then I found a crown.

I've had that stupid thing be an actual program and install itself on every thing it could get its grubby paws on. I guess it depends which bloatware it was, but I'd check the Windows Uninstall anyway to be sure it's gone.

I see the stupid AVG search bundled with AVG frequently. Even uninstalling AVG doesn't remove it.... (With revo it might but I'm not sure)

I actually just removed the safe search from my grandmothers computer a few weeks ago. Was installed as a plugin in both IE and Chrome.

The only toolbar I frequently see actual in the installed program list is Ask and bing.

I see the stupid AVG search bundled with AVG frequently. Even uninstalling AVG doesn't remove it.... (With revo it might but I'm not sure)

I actually just removed the safe search from my grandmothers computer a few weeks ago. Was installed as a plugin in both IE and Chrome.

The only toolbar I frequently see actual in the installed program list is Ask and bing.

I've never used AVG so I have no clue where it came from, must not have unchecked a box in a program or something. I had BitTorrent force Yahoo on me once, that was also some obscurely-named program.

My previous 4P Folding & current Personal Rig

I once was a poor man, but then I found a crown.

I've never used AVG so I have no clue where it came from, must not have unchecked a box in a program or something. I had BitTorrent force Yahoo on me once, that was also some obscurely-named program.

Well utorrent now includes conduit..

CPU: i7 4770k | GPU: Sapphire 290 Tri-X OC | RAM: Corsair Vengeance LP 2x8GB | MTB: GA-Z87X-UD5HCOOLER: Noctua NH-D14 | PSU: Corsair 760i | CASE: Corsair 550D | DISPLAY:  BenQ XL2420TE

Firestrike scores - Graphics: 10781 Physics: 9448 Combined: 4289

"Nvidia, Fuck you" - Linus Torvald

It's an actual program, something snuck bloatware by you. Go into Windows uninstall and find AVG Search somewhere in there, that'll get rid of it.

I got rid of the program and the extension, then I went into my files, and obliterated every AVG file I could find... The only thing left is in chrome I showed it in the picture... I re installed chrome it did nothing can't find any other confi files

Hmmm, try clearing your Appdata for chrome

C:\Users\XXXXXX\AppData\Local\Google\Chrome

Also, be sure to poke around in chromes settings and make sure that the avg toolbar isn't tied to your google account.

I suppose you could also try reinstalling it and then letting the auto-cleanup tool try and fix it: http://www.avg.com/ww-en/faq.num-5200%23num-5200

Hmmm, try clearing your Appdata for chrome

C:\Users\XXXXXX\AppData\Local\Google\Chrome

Also, be sure to poke around in chromes settings and make sure that the avg toolbar isn't tied to your google account.

I suppose you could also try reinstalling it and then letting the auto-cleanup tool try and fix it: http://www.avg.com/ww-en/faq.num-5200%23num-5200

Ok thanks, I will try tomorrow and I will let you know!

Ok thanks, I will try tomorrow and I will let you know!

wait so does clearing it mean delete everything?

wait so does clearing it mean delete everything?

What I would do...

Cut/paste it to the desktop or somewhere else safe.

Launch chrome. Chrome will remake all the files and ask you to login and what else...

If this solves the problem import your bookmarks and other personal things from the old files.

If not, just copy the old files back.

SO I got the AVG secure search bs and I got rid of it except in Google Chrome, it has the AVG logo (photo attached)  and when I search AVG in my files the chrome files come up... but I can't delete them for whatever reason... so what should I do?  Also what harm will AVG do? 

I would just uninstall it from the control panel, AVG secure search that is.  You can also disable it in extensions and even turn it off in the software itself.  However AVG is a legit program.  Unless you downloaded a fake version, so out of all honesty theres no reason to be worried.  Its probably just communicating with the AVG server or maybe your default search is AVG secure search. Try see what your default search is, change it to Google.  See if that helps.

I would just uninstall it from the control panel, AVG secure search that is.  You can also disable it in extensions and even turn it off in the software itself.  However AVG is a legit program.  Unless you downloaded a fake version, so out of all honesty theres no reason to be worried.  Its probably just communicating with the AVG server or maybe your default search is AVG secure search. Try see what your default search is, change it to Google.  See if that helps.

What I would do...

Cut/paste it to the desktop or somewhere else safe.

Launch chrome. Chrome will remake all the files and ask you to login and what else...

If this solves the problem import your bookmarks and other personal things from the old files.

If not, just copy the old files back.

I did it and it still had AVG what I figured out is if I don't sync everything from my google account, just bookmarks and history it goes away which is fine with me!

I didn't download AVG I got the facebook messenger which included it!

I did it and it still had AVG what I figured out is if I don't sync everything from my google account, just bookmarks and history it goes away which is fine with me!

I didn't download AVG I got the facebook messenger which included it!

Well. Just remove any AVG products from the uninstall menu, and if you have trouble.  Remove AVG linkscanner manually.  I recommend have FileAssasin and Ccleaner to help (also dont forget to set a restore point, also remember that if you mess up, im not responsible). So just locate the AVG software in Program files or Program files x86 and open the folder with the application files inside.  Highlight all the files.  And hit delete, any file it cant delete just skip.  After that restart your computer.  After you've booted up delete the rest of the files.  You can use File Assasin on any files that you cant delete due to it being locked.  After you've deleted all the AVG files you think you need.  Run Ccleaner and run the registry component, delete the keys that have stuff to do with AVG (make sure to backup).  Then Set a restore point.  You can open chrome and try to remove or disable the addons and change back your search.  If this fails just reset Chrome to its defaults.  Hope this helps. :)