Win10 Product key question & Dual boot

Ok so, some of you may know that I made the change to Linux Lite 3.0 because I kinda messed up in Windows as the copy to SSD didn't work at all. So, recently my friends have been complaining that I cannot be seen in Skype (because Skype for Linux is terrible and the online beta does not support video chat yet...) so they wan't me to get windows. I don't want to spend money on Windows particularly when I can use Linux for free and still talk to them in Skype but they just can't see me. That is the only problem they have. So, I have come to the conclusion that PERSONALLY Linux is the superior over the two but I am still going to buy Win10 just for them and because I can't play my favourite game Fallout 4 anymore. 

Will Windows 10 recognise that it was installed on my PC previously and then activate the product key or will I have to buy the product key again?

Second, I still wanna use Linux Lite 3.0 so can I still dual boot but do this from starting with Linux?

Thanks, Brennan Price.

My Rig:

Xeon E5 1680 V2 @ 4.5GHz - Asus Rampage IV Extreme X79 Mobo - 64GB DDR3 1600MHz - 8 x 8GB Corsair Vengeance Low Profile - CAS 10-10-10-27 - AMD Radeon RX 6700XT Sapphire Pulse 12GB - DeepCool E-Shield E-ATX Tempered Glass Case - 1 x 1TB Crucial P1 NVMe SSD - BeQuiet Straight Power 11 850W Gold+ Quad rail - Fractal Design Celsius S36 & 6 x 120mm silent fans - Lenovo KBBH21 - Corsair Glaive RGB Pro - Windows 10 Pro 64-Bit

Monitors - 3 x Acer Nitro 23.8" 1080p 75Hz IPS 1ms Freesync Panels = AMD Eyefinity @ 75Hz

I know this is not the best solution , but i think unless you dont mind , can spend little of your resources to make a virtual machine . (installing windows on it - just for skype) wont need much performance to give it ... This is unless  you play high performance games or whatever. This is just for you not to spend money on Win10. 

Usually the previous windows can save only if you havent reset clean up the partition before installing Linux, if you have . then you might need a new key if was a one time only key. and not a permanent key . i might be wrong.

You can use two OS , but dont delete the partition when installing the other one ,  usually thats how it used to work. ( 8 yrs ago ) on xp

3 minutes ago, George Cristea said:

I know this is not the best solution , but i think unless you dont mind , can spend little of your resources to make a virtual machine . (installing windows on it - just for skype) wont need much performance to give it ... This is unless  you play high performance games or whatever. This is just for you not to spend money on Win10. 

Usually the previous windows can save only if you havent reset clean up the partition before installing Linux, if you have . then you might need a new key if was a one time only key. and not a permanent key . i might be wrong.

You can use two OS , but dont delete the partition when installing the other one ,  usually thats how it used to work. ( 8 yrs ago ) on xp

Ok right, I was thinking about a virtual machine too but then like I said I won't be able to play Fallout 4 which I now miss. Also, I do not think I completely removed everything on the HDD fully... However I did format it in Linux Lite 3.0 pen drive so I may have removed the 1's and 0's so idk...

My Rig:

Xeon E5 1680 V2 @ 4.5GHz - Asus Rampage IV Extreme X79 Mobo - 64GB DDR3 1600MHz - 8 x 8GB Corsair Vengeance Low Profile - CAS 10-10-10-27 - AMD Radeon RX 6700XT Sapphire Pulse 12GB - DeepCool E-Shield E-ATX Tempered Glass Case - 1 x 1TB Crucial P1 NVMe SSD - BeQuiet Straight Power 11 850W Gold+ Quad rail - Fractal Design Celsius S36 & 6 x 120mm silent fans - Lenovo KBBH21 - Corsair Glaive RGB Pro - Windows 10 Pro 64-Bit

Monitors - 3 x Acer Nitro 23.8" 1080p 75Hz IPS 1ms Freesync Panels = AMD Eyefinity @ 75Hz

Usually if you have two OS on the desktop it should ask you when the PC boots to select which one you prefer to boot.

Unless it changed within the 8years but i doubt , because bios wont have a preference , will let you make the choice.

if you have a windows , just start installing it , and try to use the key, without deleting the partition , then if the key doesnt work or gives error, you can anytime go back and quit the installation using your linux for the time being , but anyway i doubt you will get to partition before inserting the key, ( if you dont have the previews key then i dont think theres anything to do ) unless you use you know ,, the other version (of windows) ... we all know it.. (just for the time being) 

3 minutes ago, George Cristea said:

Usually if you have two OS on the desktop it should ask you when the PC boots to select which one you prefer to boot.

Unless it changed within the 8years but i doubt , because bios wont have a preference , will let you make the choice.

Yeah, I know that part but it is just the other stuff that I need to know. I guess I will just have to install Win10 along side Linux and see what happens then. Will I have to make the Linux partition a seperate partition to Win10 to get dual booting? I guess I will wont I.

My Rig:

Better try installing over a different drive(partition) , it can be install over the same one too but just keep them separate for best. in case of anything.

Just now, George Cristea said:

Better try installing over a different drive(partition) , it can be install over the same one too but just keep them separate for best. in case of anything.

Yeah don't worry. I know about partitions mate. It is just the Product key BS that I need to know cuz Microsoft aren't easy to work with sometimes.

My Rig: