My Java Project Requirements - Help!

alanp1995

So I just received this semesters Java Project requirements and wanted to come on here to get a few ideas! You will find all requirements listed below!

PLEASE NOTE: I plainly just want some cool ideas of what I could do for this project. I do not want help to make the idea, I just want to get a few ideas of what I could do.

Thanks in advance for anybody who takes the time to throw a few ideas at me :)

Project Specification (minimum requirements):

·         At least three classes required (at least 2 of which are instantiable)

·         At least one of the classes is a GUI class, having a menu system plus at least three other ‘J’ components

·         Each instantiable class should model a different aspect of a system (for

example a Book and a Student, as part of a Library system).

·         The application should contain a ‘substantial’ processing element (an algorithm for doing something!). At a minimum, your system should allow the user to process at least one transaction involving an object from each class (eg process the return of a particular Book by a particular Student).

·         Demonstrate superclass/subclass inheritance and/or composition/aggregation

·         System should allow you to add, display and hold in memory in an appropriate data structure (yet to be covered) instances of each instantiable class,

·         Save the data structure to file (yet to be covered) and load it up again.

·         At least one class should be fully commented with Javadoc comments

·         The evolution of the project must be clearly demonstrated. Using git/github as a version control system is mandatory.

Note:

Classes used as examples in class or featuring on lab sheets are not acceptable but can be used to form the basis of your classes. Each student should choose a different topic. All choices subject to lecturer approval.

Documentation to be handed in:

Requirement Specification (word), more than one paragraph, less than one page

Class diagrams for all classes (word), done up in Visio

Outline VOPC diagram for the GUI application (word)

Program code (.java)

Javadoc output for the javadoc commented class

Printout of github logs

You will also be asked to give a quick demonstration of your working project on the week beginning 5th December, No demo = no marks. As part of your demonstration you will be asked about your code.

Indicative marking scheme: Projects will be graded using the following criteria:

·         Scope/Complexity- safe, narrow, broad.           (30%)

·         Code features (classes, methods, structure choices, inheritance/composition, going beyond what we have covered)           (30%)

·         Quality of code (e.g. naming conventions, comments, indentation, methods, usability) (10%)

·         Presentation (functioning, usability, design)     (15 %)

Documentation (15%)

Project Specification (minimum requirements unless agreed with Lecturer):

·         At least three classes required (at least 2 of which are instantiable)

·         At least one of the classes is a GUI class, having a menu system plus at least three other ‘J’ components

·         Each instantiable class should model a different aspect of a system (for

example a Book and a Student, as part of a Library system).

·         The application should contain a ‘substantial’ processing element (an algorithm for doing something!). At a minimum, your system should allow the user to process at least one transaction involving an object from each class (eg process the return of a particular Book by a particular Student).

·         Demonstrate superclass/subclass inheritance and/or composition/aggregation

·         System should allow you to add, display and hold in memory in an appropriate data structure (yet to be covered) instances of each instantiable class,

·         Save the data structure to file (yet to be covered) and load it up again.

·         At least one class should be fully commented with Javadoc comments

·         The evolution of the project must be clearly demonstrated. Using git/github as a version control system is mandatory.

Documentation to be handed in:

Requirement Specification (word), more than one paragraph, less than one page

Class diagrams for all classes (word), done up in Visio

Outline VOPC diagram for the GUI application (word)

Program code (.java)

Javadoc output for the javadoc commented class

Printout of github logs

Indicative marking scheme: Projects will be graded using the following criteria:

·         Scope/Complexity- safe, narrow, broad.           (30%)

·         Code features (classes, methods, structure choices, inheritance/composition, going beyond what we have covered)           (30%)

·         Quality of code (e.g. naming conventions, comments, indentation, methods, usability) (10%)

·         Presentation (functioning, usability, design)     (15 %)

Documentation (15%)

• Partial fountain
  • Mandlebrot zoom
  • Mandlebulb zoom
  • Matching squares game with:
    • Selectable difficulty
    • Scores
    • Animations
    • 3D graphics

The single biggest problem in communication is the illusion that it has taken place.

You could build a car database application for inventory tracking for a car dealership. (Thats what I did for a very similar project for a advanced java class. :P )