Steam inhome streaming on a NAS

Hi,

I did some searching, but found nothing that really says yes or no. Just presumptions, but no real test. I'm getting a new QNAP NAS (TS-251A) in a few days and want to virtualize SteamOS on it. So im hoping to stream Steam games over it on the TV, without the need of a more power hungry HTPC. The NAS supports a virtualisation station and even Docker, so I think installing SteamOS should be no problem. It should have enough power to run the stream right? It comes with 4GB RAM, maybe I'll upgrade it to 8. For control I would use a wireless gamepad. 

The NAS will be connected direct to the TV with HDMI, and to the network with Cat.7 cables. So I have the infrastructure, but does streaming perform well enough on it?

It has a Celeron N3060 and yes, HDMI out. It's even supposed to be plugged in direct to the TV.

35 minutes ago, White_Helix said:

Hi,

I did some searching, but found nothing that really says yes or no. Just presumptions, but no real test. I'm getting a new QNAP NAS (TS-251A) in a few days and want to virtualize SteamOS on it. So im hoping to stream Steam games over it on the TV, without the need of a more power hungry HTPC. The NAS supports a virtualisation station and even Docker, so I think installing SteamOS should be no problem. It should have enough power to run the stream right? It comes with 4GB RAM, maybe I'll upgrade it to 8. For control I would use a wireless gamepad. 

The NAS will be connected direct to the TV with HDMI, and to the network with Cat.7 cables. So I have the infrastructure, but does streaming perform well enough on it?

do you have an nvidia gpu? because you can emulate an nvidia shield in a script (incredibly lightweight, it can run smoothly of a rasberry pi) and stream to that, which i think allows for more flexibility than steam OS. although this might be a bit more difficult to set up. i dunno if you can do anything usefull with this info but i threw it in there just in case :P

I do have, thanks for the hint. I will try that if it doesn't work out on the NAS, somehow im not the big Raspberry Pi guy. I got one as OpenVPN server but I didn't want to get one for the TV. There are a Chromecast, a FireTV Stick and the WiiU of my girlfriend already :D 

For the price of the Raspberry Pi you could just buy a Steam Link and it'd work far better than anything you could hack together. o.O

Like I said, if I have a NAS that's connected to the TV anyways, theres no reason to get an additional Raspberry. I got the NAS today, I hope I have time to test it this weekend.