Is a Soundcard worth it?

Inrix

PBTech's having a big sale and I'm getting a new computer... I'm considering getting a soundcard for my DT 990 Pro's but I dont know if its worth it to spend 100-200+ on something like that... I already have an external amp so would it really be worth it?

~ Main Rig ~

- Ryzen 9 3950X 16 Core 32 Threads - EVGA 3090 KINGPIN HYBRID - 32GB DDR4 3600mhz - 

- 6TB SSD Array + 2TB MP600 NVME Gen4 Boot - 

- Gigabyte X570 AORUS MASTER - Lian li O11 Dynamic XL - NZXT Kraken X73 + 16 Noctua NF-A12x25 Fans - 

~ Accessories ~

- Logitech G915 + G903 - LG C9 OLED PG279Q 27'' [1440p 165hz G-Sync] +  PG27AQ27'' [4k 60hz G-Sync] -
2x 1440p Portrait 25'' Dell - DT 990 Pro Headphones -

~ Servers ~

- 100TB NAS + Server's w/ 6700k - 32 + 64GB Ram - NVME Boot - Gigabit Unlimited Fiber -

30 minutes ago, Inrix said:

PBTech's having a big sale and I'm getting a new computer... I'm considering getting a soundcard for my DT 990 Pro's but I dont know if its worth it to spend 100-200+ on something like that... I already have an external amp so would it really be worth it?

Soundcards generally only make sense if your onboard audio is shit or doesn't have enough power to drive your headphones. So if you have an amp and right now your audio's fine, you don't need a sound card

WHIPLASH

CPU: Intel Core i7 6700k @4.7GHz

RAM: Corsair Vengeance RGB DDR4 2x8GB @3000MHz

MOBO: Asus ROG Maximus VIII Ranger

GPU: EVGA GTX 1080 FTW2

PSU: EVGA Supernova 650GS

CASE: Fractal Design Define S

Since you already have a amp I would rather recommend a dac,  as with a dac you will have even less em interference as it is outside the case. A sound card wouldn't make a huge difference and for the price a decent dac would be better.

[cnyrmb@TheBeast-Arch ~]$ java -jar print_footer.jar

Main Rig:

i7-4790K - Asrock Z97 Extreme 6 - EVGA 1070 FTW - 16GB HyperX Fury @ 1866 - 120GB 840 EVO -  1TB WD Blue - XFX XTR 750W (80+ Gold) - Arch Linux/Win10

~ Main Rig ~

- Ryzen 9 3950X 16 Core 32 Threads - EVGA 3090 KINGPIN HYBRID - 32GB DDR4 3600mhz - 

- Gigabyte X570 AORUS MASTER - Lian li O11 Dynamic XL - NZXT Kraken X73 + 16 Noctua NF-A12x25 Fans - 

~ Accessories ~

- Logitech G915 + G903 - LG C9 OLED PG279Q 27'' [1440p 165hz G-Sync] +  PG27AQ27'' [4k 60hz G-Sync] -

~ Servers ~

- 100TB NAS + Server's w/ 6700k - 32 + 64GB Ram - NVME Boot - Gigabit Unlimited Fiber -

3 hours ago, Inrix said:

that one is basically just a decent onboard amp. It is not very powerful at all, I am 90% sure that my onboard amp is more powerful, so I would say that it is a waste of money.

Before you buy amp and dac.  My thoughts on the M50x  Ultimate Ears Reference monitor review I might have a thing for audio...

My main Headphones and IEMs:  K612 pro, HD 25 and Ultimate Ears Reference Monitor, HD 580 with HD 600 grills

DAC and AMP: RME ADI 2 DAC

Speakers: Genelec 8040, System Audio SA205

Receiver: Denon AVR-1612

Desktop: R7 1700, GTX 1080  RX 580 8GB and other stuff

Laptop: ThinkPad P50: i7 6820HQ, M2000M. ThinkPad T420s: i7 2640M, NVS 4200M

Feel free to pm me if you have a question for me or quote me. If you want to hear what I have to say about something just tag me.

4 hours ago, Dackzy said:

that one is basically just a decent onboard amp. It is not very powerful at all, I am 90% sure that my onboard amp is more powerful, so I would say that it is a waste of money.

The 990's Dont need much power but I get what your saying :) I got it more so I could use them portable than anything else as its actually surprisingly good at getting the headphones to deliver decent sound. I can def notice the difference between with and without it using a comp and IPod even with the volume maxed.

But I have already got it :) Ill probably stick with on-board for now and see what happens in the future.

~ Main Rig ~

~ Accessories ~

~ Servers ~

There are various reasons to get a soundcard. If your onboard audio is realtek than a soundcard with its own CPU will be a lot better. Other than that it depends on what features you use such as the ports and software. The creative zxr i have offloads some tasks onto the soundcard itself and does come with its own software. Its not the best soundcard for the choice but it does have high quality inputs even optical in and sounds a lot better than onboard realtek with higher quality headphones.

If you have an optical amp you dont need a soundcard to drive it as the sound quality and analogue part is done by it, only if you need to supplement it digitally such as IO and processing if it doesnt have what you need.

For sound quality you will not hear a difference between onboard and dedicated amp if the speaker is crap. If its a good speaker you will hear the difference and the ideal soundcard will have a flat response profile with high resolution audio with its own cpu rather than what beats does. People will say that audio is modified from the studio but you dont want to modify it again and ruin it, rather the soundcard should give you control over the audio profile.

Soundcards are everywhere mainly in dedicated amps. Any stage even a small one has a bunch of them for all the channels they need, to drive the speakers and to modify the audio as needed, all tuned manually. The speakers used need a lot of power to drive them and you cant do that with onboard sound.

So get yourself a soundcard/dedicated amp if you need the IO, or want to offload processing, modify audio and if you need to drive better speakers.

The other reason is drivers (such as for software audio routing). Something like virtual sound card but done on hardware instead of CPU. I dont think a creative soundcard supports this feature.

I almost never recommend a sound card in a pc build for 2 main reasons.

1.) inside a pc case is a very bad place for sound to be transmitted, even with shielding. It may not provide the experience you desire.

2.) more importantly, for the price of most (good) soundcards, it's worthwhile to invest in an external DAC. It has the shielding you need for optimal audio, supports much higher ohm ratings, and doesn't exist in the electronic battlefield of your pc so it won't have (nearly) any interference.

28 minutes ago, lettuce head said:

I almost never recommend a sound card in a pc build for 2 main reasons.

1.) inside a pc case is a very bad place for sound to be transmitted, even with shielding. It may not provide the experience you desire.

2.) more importantly, for the price of most (good) soundcards, it's worthwhile to invest in an external DAC. It has the shielding you need for optimal audio, supports much higher ohm ratings, and doesn't exist in the electronic battlefield of your pc so it won't have (nearly) any interference.

I think the whole notion of "interference" is overstated, at least with regards to external DACs being necessarily less susceptible. USB connections are plenty capable of picking up interference and dirty power from the system.

As for the second statement, external DACs do not support "high ohm ratings". Aside from this being a meaningless metric of load difficulty, you cannot drive a load directly from a standalone DAC.