is it safe to buy steam games from kinguin ?

maria2244
Go to solution Solved by manikyath,

they largely go trough the same buisiness model, and morally the right answer is to use neither.

both will (in the large majority of cases) get you a legitimate game key, but the way those keys are gotten are the questionable bit. it's mostly a case of "the most ruthless criminal will be the most profitable"

some means of getting keys that are unfortunately more common than we'd want them to be:

- impersonating a youtuber/livestreamer and getting keys from the devs

- bank fraud

- stolen credit cards

- shoplifting games that have their key in the box

basicly, you should buy a game in the mindset of your money going to the developer, with either of these websites, it's questionable if there's even any money at all going to the devs who put in the hard work to make the experience you are putting money into.

it is safe (in the large majority of cases) but you shouldnt, and there's been cases of game devs hammering down on these keys gotten trough illegitimate means, *surprisingly* hammering down on G2A really hard.

TLDR: if you want to spend money on a game, do so as close to the source as you can, so that source gets the cut they deserve, and they can buy the coffee required to make the next generation of your favourite game.

I don't trust G2A anymore

since 1 steam game I bought from them removed from my steam account 1 month later

what about kinguin ?

I'm MARIA 23 years old Girl (Female) .

Christmas is all about hope , and that hope is NOT possible without JESUS king of kings . I love Christmas .

1 minute ago, maria2244 said:

I don't trust G2A anymore

since 1 steam game I bought from them removed from my steam account 1 month later

what about kinguin ?

Ive never had a problem with G2A

Roses are red

My name is Roy

We caught the alligator that ate the De Luca boy

For all intents and purposes, Kinguin is the same as G2a.

PSU Tier List | CoC

Gaming Build | FreeNAS Server

Spoiler

i5-4690k || Seidon 240m || GTX780 ACX || MSI Z97s SLI Plus || 8GB 2400mhz || 250GB 840 Evo || 1TB WD Blue || H440 (Black/Blue) || Windows 10 Pro || Dell P2414H & BenQ XL2411Z || Ducky Shine Mini || Logitech G502 Proteus Core

Spoiler

FreeNAS 9.3 - Stable || Xeon E3 1230v2 || Supermicro X9SCM-F || 32GB Crucial ECC DDR3 || 3x4TB WD Red (JBOD) || SYBA SI-PEX40064 sata controller || Corsair CX500m || NZXT Source 210.

Kinguin doesn't follow the rules. buy at your own risk and be aware you are not buying a license and you are not paying for the rights to the software you are purchasing. What you are buying is Kinguin's side-stepping and flouting of the rules

☼

ψ ︿_____︿_ψ_   

they largely go trough the same buisiness model, and morally the right answer is to use neither.

both will (in the large majority of cases) get you a legitimate game key, but the way those keys are gotten are the questionable bit. it's mostly a case of "the most ruthless criminal will be the most profitable"

some means of getting keys that are unfortunately more common than we'd want them to be:

- impersonating a youtuber/livestreamer and getting keys from the devs

- bank fraud

- stolen credit cards

- shoplifting games that have their key in the box

basicly, you should buy a game in the mindset of your money going to the developer, with either of these websites, it's questionable if there's even any money at all going to the devs who put in the hard work to make the experience you are putting money into.

it is safe (in the large majority of cases) but you shouldnt, and there's been cases of game devs hammering down on these keys gotten trough illegitimate means, *surprisingly* hammering down on G2A really hard.

TLDR: if you want to spend money on a game, do so as close to the source as you can, so that source gets the cut they deserve, and they can buy the coffee required to make the next generation of your favourite game.

28 minutes ago, manikyath said:

TotalBiscuit talked about that in depth. Although, fwiw, with indie games aside, the dev isn't seeing much of the profit anyway. 

PSU Tier List | CoC

Spoiler

i5-4690k || Seidon 240m || GTX780 ACX || MSI Z97s SLI Plus || 8GB 2400mhz || 250GB 840 Evo || 1TB WD Blue || H440 (Black/Blue) || Windows 10 Pro || Dell P2414H & BenQ XL2411Z || Ducky Shine Mini || Logitech G502 Proteus Core

Spoiler

FreeNAS 9.3 - Stable || Xeon E3 1230v2 || Supermicro X9SCM-F || 32GB Crucial ECC DDR3 || 3x4TB WD Red (JBOD) || SYBA SI-PEX40064 sata controller || Corsair CX500m || NZXT Source 210.

3 minutes ago, djdwosk97 said:

TotalBiscuit talked about that in depth. Although, fwiw, with indie games aside, the dev isn't seeing much of the profit anyway. 

but the company behind the whole party is, and that company is who keeps the party rolling.

i'd totally agree that it matters in a much bigger degree for indie games or small time studios, but the EA's and ubisofts of this world need their coffee as well.

2 minutes ago, manikyath said:

but the company behind the whole party is, and that company is who keeps the party rolling.

i'd totally agree that it matters in a much bigger degree for indie games or small time studios, but the EA's and ubisofts of this world need their coffee as well.

I'm not saying they don't deserve to be paid, but the devs won't see much of a benefit from not using G2a/kinguin since they get reamed anyway. 

PSU Tier List | CoC

Spoiler

Spoiler