cheap 4p folding rig

post-2542-0-77642000-1382683701_thumb.jp

its ugly i know its a work in progress haha

Hello guys after a few weeks of planning I have put together this folding build. I decided to go with a bundle I saw on ebay its not whalers but will do.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Supermicro-H8QME-2-4-Quad-Socket-Motherboard-4-x-AMD-Opteron-8216-16GB-Memory/111184827835?_trksid=p2047675.m1850&_trkparms=aid%3D222002%26algo%3DSIC.FIT%26ao%3D1%26asc%3D11%26meid%3D1919996448255886457%26pid%3D100011%26prg%3D1005%26rk%3D1%26rkt%3D5%26sd%3D141078982938%26

Specs

Motherboard Supermicro H8QME-2+

Cpu  opteron 8431

Ram 16GB ddr2 pc 5300

PSU 700w

Keyboard and mouse what I had sitting around

Monitor An old dell lcd I had sitting around.

Hard drive An old 120GB sata hard drive.

Motherboard arrived today after initial testing to make sure it work correctly I updated the bios to support my hexa core cpu’s 

The bios update went without a problem the cpu upgrade was a deferent story. 

after a couple hours of swapping  cpus and some help from whaler i found out i received a bad cpu so its only a 3p server now but i will get it replaces vary soon.

post-2542-0-04400300-1382683536_thumb.jp

a;ojrgb;oaJBG;Jbsd;kb...........all this is glarb.......so dont read it

But, It looks.....

100%25%20to%20chairty!.jpg

I'm the Forum Owl

*Who*

Very nice!  :)

Also submit it on the other post with 4p folding rig's

"You can get more of what you want with a kind word and a gun than you can with just a kind word." -- Al Capone.

Dang you I was in the process of doing a cheap P3 machine just got most of the psrts picked out asked whaler for some tips.

Sorry for any thing wrong with this post 1st time send from phone

I love how its called supermicro and how did you get intel coolers on the opertons

cpu: intel i5 4670k @ 4.5ghz Ram: G skill ares 2x4gb 2166mhz cl10 Gpu: GTX 680 liquid cooled cpu cooler: Raijintek ereboss Mobo: gigabyte z87x ud5h psu: cm gx650 bronze Case: Zalman Z9 plus

Listen if you care.

Cpu: intel i7 4770k @ 4.2ghz Ram: G skill  ripjaws 2x4gb Gpu: nvidia gtx 970 cpu cooler: akasa venom voodoo Mobo: G1.Sniper Z6 Psu: XFX proseries 650w Case: Zalman H1

I love how its called supermicro and how did you get intel coolers on the opertons

He has just stuck the intel fans on, he isnt using the intel heatsink

Is it really worth it for 35k PPD?

Looks like you are running the v7 client in ubuntu? If so, I think you are missing the bigadv option.

Please check my links on using the [H]ard ubuntu desktop install. This runs the v6 client with a bunch of optimizations that actually will yield better performance as it is all tweaked and already enabled for bigadv. The only thing with v6, you don't get the nice client. You will need to use say HFM.NET from a Windows system to monitor, but simple enough to setup. It's in the FAQ. :)

Forum Links - Community Standards, Privacy Policy, FAQ, Features Suggestions, Bug and Issues.

Folding/Boinc Info - Check out the Folding and Boinc Section, read the Folding Install thread and the Folding FAQ. Info on Boinc is here. Don't forget to join team 223518. Check out other users Folding Rigs for ideas. Don't forget to follow the @LTTCompute for updates and other random posts about the various teams.

Follow me on Twitter for updates @Whaler_99

$149 for 4p? What kind of PPD are you getting?

[spoiler=»--((¯`·._.·¤~●oO му яιg Oo●~¤·._.·´¯))--«] Case: Corsair 600T White       CPU: Core i7 3930k @ 4.3GHz                     SSD: Crucial M500 480GB

MB:    Asus P9X79 LE         GPU: Nvidia GTX 780 Reference             HDD: WD Caviar Green 3TB

PSU:   Seasonic X-1050      RAM: G.Skill Trident X 32GB @ 2.4GHz   ☃ There are 10 types of people in this world. Those who understand binary and those who don't.

$149 for 4p? What kind of PPD are you getting?

35k (top right corner of his cores picture) but he isn't doing BigAdv so that could easily be... a lot more if he switches over. Also, it's more than $150 because the processors in the motherboard he linked are dual cores, so that's 8 total which doesn't let you in to BigAdv. It sounds like he had to buy the hexa-cores separately, so it costs well over $150. Still cheap for a 4P rig, compared to Whaler's 32-core anyway.

My previous 4P Folding & current Personal Rig

I once was a poor man, but then I found a crown.

it came to about $450 for the hexa core cpus and the motherboard im only running 3 cpus because the forth was DOA. need to replace the 4th one.

im only testing the stability before i try a bigadv so thats why i am running v7

i have a problem i followed the install guide and when i start trying to fold in v6 it wont get any work it says cant connect. 

Looks awesome man! I hopefully when i get a better job i'll be able to get one

And then you realize your shoes are filled with peanut butter, what then?! >:L

it came to about $450 for the hexa core cpus and the motherboard im only running 3 cpus because the forth was DOA. need to replace the 4th one.

im only testing the stability before i try a bigadv so thats why i am running v7

i have a problem i followed the install guide and when i start trying to fold in v6 it wont get any work it says cant connect. 

Connection problem? Weird. So, in the same ubuntu install, v6 won't connect but v7 will?

Forum Links - Community Standards, Privacy Policy, FAQ, Features Suggestions, Bug and Issues.

Folding/Boinc Info - Check out the Folding and Boinc Section, read the Folding Install thread and the Folding FAQ. Info on Boinc is here. Don't forget to join team 223518. Check out other users Folding Rigs for ideas. Don't forget to follow the @LTTCompute for updates and other random posts about the various teams.

If there is a connection problem, double check the network is online before you launch the client.

On my old Cisco switch, it can take up to 40sec for it to establish a link.

The v7 client doesn't care much if the network is down, but the v6 will (in my experience). Could this be a problem?

Sent from my SCH-R530X using Tapatalk

~Judah

Yes, if you can surf on the box, shouldn't be an issue. Remember, bigadv will look like nothing is going on, for a while. :) The work units a a lot bigger. Also...

browse to \\x.x.x.x\fah and you can take a look at the logs to see if you can sort out what is going on...

Sweet! :)

i have all sorted out and received my first bigadv work unit my estimated ppd is 120k 

with the V7 client? :)

EOC folding stats - Folding stats - My web folding page stats

Summer Glau: Quote's The future is worth fighting for. Serenity

My linux setup: CPU: I7 2600K @4.5Ghz, MM: Corsair 16GB vengeance @1600Mhz, GPU: 2 Way Radeon his iceq x2 7970, MB: Asus sabertooth Z77, PSU: Corsair 750 plus Gold modular

My gaming setup: CPU: I7 3770K @4.7Ghz, MM: Corsair 32GB vengeance @1600Mhz, GPU: 2 Way Gigabyte RX580 8GB, MB: Asus sabertooth Z77, PSU: Corsair 860i Platinum modular

with the V7 client? :)

I believe it is a V6 client with many provision in the software to help improve PPD

There are 10 types of people in the world: Those who understand binary, and those who don't.

Just some helpful stuff: You're - You are, Your - Your car, They're - They are, Their - Their car, There - Over there.

Folding @ Home Install Guide and Links | My Build

its v6 i was using v7 just to test but uninstalled it and installed v6 for bigadv.

• 3 weeks later...

update received my replacement cpu yesterday so its a 4p folding rig agian.

but i installed it and now ubuntu wont boot it beep and turns off. i have windows server installed as well and windows runs fine but not ubuntu.

update received my replacement cpu yesterday so its a 4p folding rig agian.

but i installed it and now ubuntu wont boot it beep and turns off. i have windows server installed as well and windows runs fine but not ubuntu.

You might need more RAM, my 16-core wouldn't install Ubuntu without 24GBs and some systems can be tricky... It says in your picture you have around 12, maybe upping it to 16 if you haven't already?

My previous 4P Folding & current Personal Rig

I once was a poor man, but then I found a crown.

its working now i had a 700w power supply with it but when i installed the new cpu it would not power the server so i took apart my gaming rig and put a corsair 850w and it works fine.

And there is 16gb of ram when i had 3 cpu it disabled a couple of ram Dimms on the motherboard once i installed the fourth it recognized them.  

• 2 weeks later...

update

i finally put it on a shelf and cleaned it up a little :lol:

bezpew.jpg