Reusing WINDOWS KEY?

Windows 10

so, I am planning on installing windows on an ssd, I have windows key that is already being used on one device can I no use that device and use that key in the new ssd?

Please post your threads in the proper sub-forum.

Thread moved to Windows. 

"It pays to keep an open mind, but not so open your brain falls out." - Carl Sagan.

"I can explain it to you, but I can't understand it for you" - Edward I. Koch

Which Windows?

OEM or Retail?

1 minute ago, deXxterlab97 said:

Which Windows?

OEM or Retail?

The one that came in sony laptop i don't know if it is oem or retail

3 hours ago, Windows 10 said:

That's OEM

3 hours ago, Windows 10 said:

So can I not reuse it?

An OEM key is bound to the device's motherboard that uses it. If it's for the same system, you'll be fine. If it's not for the same system, you're out of luck. 

2 minutes ago, Windows 10 said:

That's OEM. Transferring OEM licenses form machine to machine is against Windows terms. See 2. c. (iii) here. With that said, it's still doable to a degree but as per the rules of this forum, we don't discuss how to go about breaking laws and rules. 

7 minutes ago, Windows 10 said:

so, I am planning on installing windows on an ssd, I have windows key that is already being used on one device can I no use that device and use that key in the new ssd?

1 minute ago, Windows 10 said:

So can I not reuse it?

you should be able to re-use OEM on the same motherboard. There is a clause about replacing broken hardware so lets use that. Windows 10 is a bit different to older Windows. Older windows would throw a fit if you changed more than 2 or 3 hardware, but Windows 10 should be tied to EFI & motherboard. I experimented with an educational Windows license earlier this year and my key got blacklisted on the third installation, on the same day; so don't mess about re-installing it

☼

ψ ︿_____︿_ψ_   

Just now, SCHISCHKA said:

you should be able to re-use OEM on the same motherboard. There is a clause about replacing broken hardware so lets use that. Windows 10 is a bit different to older Windows. Older windows would throw a fit if you changed more than 2 or 3 hardware, but Windows 10 should be tied to EFI & motherboard. I experimented with an educational Windows license earlier this year and my key got blacklisted on the third installation, on the same day; so don't mess about re-installing it

yes it is the same motherboard

5 minutes ago, Naeaes said:

That's OEM. Transferring OEM licenses form machine to machine is against Windows terms. See 2. c. (iii) here. With that said, it's still doable to a degree but as per the rules of this forum, we don't discuss how to go about breaking laws and rules. 

i dont think hes breaking the OEM rules by upgrading his OS drive. Its still the same device

☼

ψ ︿_____︿_ψ_   

3 minutes ago, SCHISCHKA said:

i dont think hes breaking the OEM rules by upgrading his OS drive. Its still the same device

No, upgrade's not a violation. But I gathered from the OP that there are two computers, one of which OP intends to "not use anymore".

https://www.microsoft.com/OEM/en/licensing/sblicensing/Pages/licensing_faq.aspx#fbid=xpQJ0yKrMAj

A. Generally, an end user can upgrade or replace all of the hardware components on a computer—except the motherboard—and still retain the license for the original Microsoft OEM operating system software. If the motherboard is upgraded or replaced for reasons other than a defect, then a new computer has been created. Microsoft OEM operating system software cannot be transferred to the new computer, and the license of new operating system software is required. If the motherboard is replaced because it is defective, you do not need to acquire a new operating system license for the PC as long as the replacement motherboard is the same make/model or the same manufacturer's replacement/equivalent, as defined by the manufacturer's warranty.

The reason for this licensing rule primarily relates to the Microsoft Software License Terms and the support of the software covered by those terms. The Microsoft Software License Terms are a set of usage rights granted to the end user by the PC manufacturer, and relate only to rights for that software as installed on that particular PC. The system builder is required to support the software on the original PC. Understanding that end users, over time, upgrade their PCs with different components, Microsoft needed to have one base component "left standing" that would still define the original PC. Since the motherboard contains the CPU and is the "heart and soul" of the PC, when the motherboard is replaced (for reasons other than defect) a new PC is essentially created. The original system builder did not manufacture this new PC, and therefore cannot be expected to support it.

Who would have thought MS would use the words heart and soul

☼

ψ ︿_____︿_ψ_