I7 920xm viable in cheap laptop?

Go to solution Solved by SLAYR,
45 minutes ago, Juggern0ttt said:

If you really pay attention to those charts the parts are basically neck and neck. Where as the 920xm beats out the A10 in some areas , and the 5870 beats out the r7 in some areas. The biggest hits are in this like value and market share which isn't exactly a fair comparison. I'm not trying to argue that a desktop build would be better, but I'm looking at the value of this laptop for my father to play starcraft and browse the web mostly. 

Well the value of that laptop is more around $150USD, and with 4Gb of ram even just web browsing can use that up quick, and since it is a nehelam chip it most likey also lacks sata 6gbps most likely so the ssd in it is also being held back by that.

With a ram upgrade it will do web browsing fine, possibly starcraft since that is older, and if it has the 5870m with 1gb of gddr5, but you should also consider that it will run very hot, you have a 55W cpu, and 50W gpu in that, if it hasn't been taken care properly, thermal throttling is going to be an issue.

So in question is a laptop supporting a I7 920xm paired with a HD 5870. Is this a viable entry solution for around 250$?

received_10205748341466623.jpeg

1 minute ago, wrathoftheturkey said:

Once you account for battery life, not really

Battery life isn't a key concern , this is going to be for my father if I get it. He'll likely leave it plugged in most of the time and use it for auto cad, and maybe some starcraft or civilization 

1 hour ago, Juggern0ttt said:

Battery life isn't a key concern , this is going to be for my father if I get it. He'll likely leave it plugged in most of the time and use it for auto cad, and maybe some starcraft or civilization 

My last laptop had an i7-840 QM and a Mobility Radeon HD 5850. I don't know about Civilization, but it runs Starcraft 2 on medium-high'ish settings without issue.

Current Build:

CPU: Ryzen 7 5800X3D

GPU: RTX 3080 Ti FE

RAM: 32GB G.Skill Trident Z CL16 3200 MHz

Mobo: Asus Tuf X570 Plus Wifi

CPU Cooler: NZXT Kraken X53

PSU: EVGA G6 Supernova 850

Case: NZXT S340 Elite

Current Laptop:

Model: Asus ROG Zephyrus G14

CPU: Ryzen 9 5900HS

GPU: RTX 3060

RAM: 16GB @3200 MHz

Old PC:

CPU: Intel i7 8700K @4.9 GHz/1.315v

RAM: 32GB G.Skill Trident Z CL16 3200 MHz

Mobo: Asus Prime Z370-A

42 minutes ago, Emberstone said:

My last laptop had an i7-840 QM and a Mobility Radeon HD 5850. I don't know about Civilization, but it runs Starcraft 2 on medium-high'ish settings without issue.

I mean do you think it's possible to build something better for around 250/300$. Our do you think it's a good value for the price ? 

32 minutes ago, Juggern0ttt said:

I mean do you think it's possible to build something better for around 250/300$. Our do you think it's a good value for the price ? 

Horrible deal if it is USD, now of days that cpu, and gpu are extremely low end, and a cheap amd apu can do better, and the 5870m would play games 720p low to mid settings, and 4gb of ram just isn't enough 8gb is pretty much a minimum.

If you can build a computer I would suggest this.

http://pcpartpicker.com/list/Qt3ZFd

http://gpu.userbenchmark.com/Compare/AMD-Mobility-Radeon-HD-5870-vs-AMD-Radeon-R7-Graphics/m8764vsm8791

http://cpu.userbenchmark.com/Compare/Intel-Core-X-920-vs-AMD-A8-7650K-APU/m7179vsm27184

For $250/$300 you shouldn't expect mind blowing performance though, if you need it to do more intense tasks in the future you may want to consider stepping up to something like an i3, and a decent dgpu like a rx 460.

•E5-2670 @2.7GHz • Intel DX79SI • EVGA 970 SSC• GSkill Sniper 8Gb ddr3 • Corsair Spec 02 • Corsair RM750 • HyperX 120Gb SSD • Hitachi 2Tb HDD •

15 minutes ago, SLAYR said:

Horrible deal if it is USD, now of days that cpu, and gpu are extremely low end, and a cheap amd apu can do better, and the 5870m would play games 720p low to mid settings, and 4gb of ram just isn't enough 8gb is pretty much a minimum.

If you can build a computer I would suggest this.

http://pcpartpicker.com/list/Qt3ZFd

http://gpu.userbenchmark.com/Compare/AMD-Mobility-Radeon-HD-5870-vs-AMD-Radeon-R7-Graphics/m8764vsm8791

http://cpu.userbenchmark.com/Compare/Intel-Core-X-920-vs-AMD-A8-7650K-APU/m7179vsm27184

For $250/$300 you shouldn't expect mind blowing performance though, if you need it to do more intense tasks in the future you may want to consider stepping up to something like an i3, and a decent dgpu like a rx 460.

If you really pay attention to those charts the parts are basically neck and neck. Where as the 920xm beats out the A10 in some areas , and the 5870 beats out the r7 in some areas. The biggest hits are in this like value and market share which isn't exactly a fair comparison. I'm not trying to argue that a desktop build would be better, but I'm looking at the value of this laptop for my father to play starcraft and browse the web mostly. 

45 minutes ago, Juggern0ttt said:

Well the value of that laptop is more around $150USD, and with 4Gb of ram even just web browsing can use that up quick, and since it is a nehelam chip it most likey also lacks sata 6gbps most likely so the ssd in it is also being held back by that.

With a ram upgrade it will do web browsing fine, possibly starcraft since that is older, and if it has the 5870m with 1gb of gddr5, but you should also consider that it will run very hot, you have a 55W cpu, and 50W gpu in that, if it hasn't been taken care properly, thermal throttling is going to be an issue.

•E5-2670 @2.7GHz • Intel DX79SI • EVGA 970 SSC• GSkill Sniper 8Gb ddr3 • Corsair Spec 02 • Corsair RM750 • HyperX 120Gb SSD • Hitachi 2Tb HDD •

24 minutes ago, SLAYR said:

Cool that's what I was looking for. Thanks for the feed back, obviously getting it used so maybe I can back him down some on price.