Is overclocking bad ?

Well this is my question, by how much is your cpu life going to go down by overclocking because when I build my pc I plan to achieve a oc of 4.2-4.6 hopefully for my first time 

If you need to ask if it's bad or not, you probably shouldn't be overclocking.

"Say it, do it, preach it, shout it, but never, absolutely never, believe your own bullshit"   

Credited with the whole female avatar trend

Your thoughts here http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/67178-your-top-three/

depends, the actual act of increasing your CPU ratio will not, however, to achieve a stable overclock on a high frequency, you will need increase the voltage, which will reduce lifespan.
In my opinion, it's great, since intel does barely anything to increase performance over each generation, I can just overclock to make that minuet difference that they have.
also, it makes CPU's such as the FX 8320/50 a viable option, if they had a locked CPU multiplier, I guarantee you that no enthusiast/gamer would buy that chip

Unlocked CPUs can cope with it, if you have a good enough cooler of course. If you plan on doing some serious overclocking which may require quite high voltages then the CPU lifespan will decrease.

As an example I tend to get 4-5 years out a CPU and I overclock the snot out of them (currently my i5 3570k is sitting at 4.5 GHz, winter is coming I'm going to try for 4.6). If you keep you chip cool you should be fine, always invest in aftermarket cooling, its not expensive, its quieter, and it keeps the chip cool, a Cooler Master Hyper 212 Evo is like $35, I had my CPU up to 4.3 on a 212 before I switched back to water. The things that kill computers (all components, not just CPU's) are heat, dust, and electrical surges, if you have good cooling, keep the dust out, and have a good power supply and a surge suppressor a computer will last a long time.

Intel 3570k @ 4.4 GHz |Asus Sabertooth Z77 |EVGA GTX 660 Ti FTW |Kingston HyperX Beast 16 Gb DDR3 1866 (2x8Gb)

|Samsung 840 250 GB |Western Digital Green 2TB 2x |Cooler Master 850w 80+ Gold |Custom Water Cooling Loop |Noctua NF-F12 4x
|Noctua NF-A14 3x |Corsair Carbide 500R (White) |Corsair K95 |Razer Mamba |Razer Megalodon |Samsung SyncMaster T220 2x Computer Bucket List   Greatest Thread Ever   WAN Show Drinking Game  GPU Buyers Guide

Well this is my question, by how much is your cpu life going to go down by overclocking because when I build my pc I plan to achieve a oc of 4.2-4.6 hopefully for my first time 

How long do you want your computer to last.

Adding more voltage will lower the lifespan of the cpu. In any case, your cpu will still probably last longer than you need it to.

If you ever need help with a build, read the following before posting: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/3061-build-plan-thread-recommendations-please-read-before-posting/
Also, make sure to quote a post or tag a member when replying or else they won't get a notification that you replied to them.

Adding more voltage will lower the lifespan of the cpu. In any case, your cpu will still probably last longer than you need it to.

I agree mostly, however, at least on the Intel side the CPUs tend to be overvolted at stock (at least in my opinion) which allows you at achieve a stable overclock without pushing the voltage much (if any).

Intel 3570k @ 4.4 GHz |Asus Sabertooth Z77 |EVGA GTX 660 Ti FTW |Kingston HyperX Beast 16 Gb DDR3 1866 (2x8Gb)

|Samsung 840 250 GB |Western Digital Green 2TB 2x |Cooler Master 850w 80+ Gold |Custom Water Cooling Loop |Noctua NF-F12 4x
|Noctua NF-A14 3x |Corsair Carbide 500R (White) |Corsair K95 |Razer Mamba |Razer Megalodon |Samsung SyncMaster T220 2x Computer Bucket List   Greatest Thread Ever   WAN Show Drinking Game  GPU Buyers Guide

You'd already be upgrading to new CPU long before those overclocking will have any negative impact on your CPU life tbh. Just be extra considerate with the voltage and keep the temp in check with adequate cooling.

My oc'd 2500K (4.5ghz) has been running nearly everyday for almost 3years now and still working just fine.

You'd already be upgrading to new CPU long before those overclocking will have any negative impact on your CPU life tbh. Just be extra considerate with the voltage and keep the temp in check with adequate cooling.

My oc'd 2500K (4.5ghz) has been running nearly everyday for almost 3years now and still working just fine.

I agree. Before you start to see your CPU degrade, you're already going to have a new one, if not an entirely new system. Don't worry too much about it, only the most extreme overclocks (5.5+) could put strain on your CPU to the point where it might degrade quickly, but this is entirely dependent on your CPU. 4.6 is a fine max OC.

Spoiler

I agree. Before you start to see your CPU degrade, you're already going to have a new one, if not an entirely new system. Don't worry too much about it, only the most extreme overclocks (5.5+) could put strain on your CPU to the point where it might degrade quickly, but this is entirely dependent on your CPU. 4.6 is a fine max OC.

Sort of, its not the overclock you achieve but the voltage/temperature combination. You can brick a chip even at low overclocks if you put too many volts through it. That being said in order to achieve an overclock around 4.2-4.4 GHz you shouldn't need to increase the voltage that much (if at all). If your temps are good and your voltages are good your chip should be fine (generally under 1.3 volts on Intel chips though you should go as low on the voltages as possible to still have a stable overclock).

Unlocked CPUs can cope with it, if you have a good enough cooler of course. If you plan on doing some serious overclocking which may require quite high voltages then the CPU lifespan will decrease.

For the love of God, if you don't know what you're talking about, don't try to spread your "knowledge". An unlocked CPU simply means it has an unlocked multiplier, not that It can "cope with it" versus a non-K SKU.

"Say it, do it, preach it, shout it, but never, absolutely never, believe your own bullshit"   

Credited with the whole female avatar trend

Your thoughts here http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/67178-your-top-three/

As an example I tend to get 4-5 years out a CPU and I overclock the snot out of them (currently my i5 3570k is sitting at 4.5 GHz, winter is coming I'm going to try for 4.6). If you keep you chip cool you should be fine, always invest in aftermarket cooling, its not expensive, its quieter, and it keeps the chip cool, a Cooler Master Hyper 212 Evo is like $35, I had my CPU up to 4.3 on a 212 before I switched back to water. The things that kill computers (all components, not just CPU's) are heat, dust, and electrical surges, if you have good cooling, keep the dust out, and have a good power supply and a surge suppressor a computer will last a long time.

Thanks good to know

How long do you want your computer to last.

I want it to last 3-5 years

I want it to last 3-5 years

What CPU do you have?

<p>Wires Suck :angry:
!fY0|_|(4|\|R34[)7#!5PMM37#3(0[)3:1337 70833|\|73R3[)!|\|49!\/34\|/4Y 4|\|[)93741!f3

Alrighty you eased my nerves if I should even buy a k processor or not thanks for the help guys 

Im planing to get a 4670K 

haswell isn't a very good overclocker you'll be really lucky to get those clocks I reccommend you get a 3570k or an fx8350

!fY0|_|(4|\|R34[)7#!5PMM37#3(0[)3:1337 70833|\|73R3[)!|\|49!\/34\|/4Y 4|\|[)93741!f3

haswell isn't a very good overclocker you'll be really lucky to get those clocks I reccommend you get a 3570k or an fx8350

I am not really looking to overclock a lot and the mobo I want is only on haswell the gryphon

I am not really looking to overclock a lot and the mobo I want is only on haswell the gryphon

You should be able to get 4.2 with a hyper 212 anything more and haswell starts spazing out

You should be able to get 4.2 with a hyper 212 anything more and haswell starts spazing out

Yes but remember that clock for clock Haswell is faster so a 4670k @4.2 is faster than a 3570k @4.2, also Haswell runs cooler and draws less power so its a trade off. You wont get the same number but you will get performance. Of course each chip is different and depending on how the silicon lottery treats end up you could have a good or bad overclocker. Your mileage may vary.

Yes but remember that clock for clock Haswell is faster so a 4670k @4.2 is faster than a 3570k @4.2, also Haswell runs cooler and draws less power so its a trade off. You wont get the same number but you will get performance. Of course each chip is different and depending on how the silicon lottery treats end up you could have a good or bad overclocker. Your mileage may vary.

haswell runs cooler up to around 1.2v but as I said it tends to spaz out at higher voltages