GPU 4k @60Hz

TechguyES

Simple question what GPU's are the bare minimum to play for example GTA V and Witcher 3 at 4k @60Hz?

I can do it with VSR

CPU: Intel i7 5820K @ 4.20 GHz | MotherboardMSI X99S SLI PLUS | RAM: Corsair LPX 16GB DDR4 @ 2666MHz | GPU: Sapphire R9 Fury (x2 CrossFire)
Storage: Samsung 950Pro 512GB // OCZ Vector150 240GB // Seagate 1TB | PSU: Seasonic 1050 Snow Silent | Case: NZXT H440 | Cooling: Nepton 240M
FireStrike // Extreme // Ultra // 8K // 16K

1070 SLI if you play FPS games that support SLI really well like Battlefield 1

1080 will for other games

Titan X Pascal gives around 100 fps at 4k

Just now, Xreldo said:

The AMD Fury cards should be fine too for 4k and I've seen the non X for 250 these days

If you talk max ultra settings for GTA V there is no single card I that can handle it at 4k, so that would be definitly be multi GPU setup. In august saw a test for that where only the new Titan Xp in SLI could achieve near 60 fps.

Thats GTA V however, Witcher 3 is much better to do. And for GTA, if you tweak settings to normal orso you can play 4k with things like an 780. So there is some headroom between settings on 4k to say the least :)

The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane.

Basic PC parts guide

PSU Tier list

31 minutes ago, Xreldo said:

29 minutes ago, MalcolmHusky said:

The AMD Fury cards should be fine too for 4k and I've seen the non X for 250 these days

4 minutes ago, Gonio said:

If you talk max ultra settings for GTA V there is no single card I that can handle it at 4k, so that would be definitly be multi GPU setup. In august saw a test for that where only the new Titan Xp in SLI could achieve near 60 fps.

Thats GTA V however, Witcher 3 is much better to do. And for GTA, if you tweak settings to normal orso you can play 4k with things like an 780. So there is some headroom between settings on 4k to say the least :)

I really want to be able to play witcher 3 at 4k because it just looks that good compared to Full HD(even with settings to low-medium), but the problems is the fps are really crappy at 4k

47 minutes ago, TechguyES said:

Simple question what GPU's are the bare minimum to play for example GTA V and Witcher 3 at 4k @60Hz?

For info I have the msi 1080 gaming x and gta v and Witcher 3 look stunning at 4K. I just put the settings at high and remove AA. I don't check fps, I think you can get too caught up in numbers. It's more about how it feels and for me it feels damn good. 

Love not hate

I don't understand cutting down the quality to low or medium just to have 4k. Don't you lose out on all of the additional affects (weather, etc) when you do that? Thus taking away from the "stunning look" you're going for anyway.

I think 4k is still a couple years away from being truly viable.

CPU: Ryzen 9 5900 Cooler: EVGA CLC280 Motherboard: Gigabyte B550i Pro AX RAM: Kingston Hyper X 32GB 3200mhz

Storage: WD 750 SE 500GB, WD 730 SE 1TB GPU: EVGA RTX 3070 Ti PSU: Corsair SF750 Case: Streacom DA2

Monitor: LG 27GL83B Mouse: Razer Basilisk V2 Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red Speakers: Mackie CR5BT

MiniPC - Sold for $100 Profit

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i3 4160 Cooler: Integrated Motherboard: Integrated

RAM: G.Skill RipJaws 16GB DDR3 Storage: Transcend MSA370 128GB GPU: Intel 4400 Graphics

PSU: Integrated Case: Shuttle XPC Slim

Monitor: LG 29WK500 Mouse: G.Skill MX780 Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red

Budget Rig 1 - Sold For $750 Profit

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i5 7600k Cooler: CryOrig H7 Motherboard: MSI Z270 M5

RAM: Crucial LPX 16GB DDR4 Storage: Intel S3510 800GB GPU: Nvidia GTX 980

PSU: Corsair CX650M Case: EVGA DG73

OG Gaming Rig - Gone

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i5 4690k Cooler: Corsair H100i V2 Motherboard: MSI Z97i AC ITX

RAM: Crucial Ballistix 16GB DDR3 Storage: Kingston Fury 240GB GPU: Asus Strix GTX 970

PSU: Thermaltake TR2 Case: Phanteks Enthoo Evolv ITX

Monitor: Dell P2214H x2 Mouse: Logitech MX Master Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red

6 minutes ago, dizmo said:

I don't understand cutting down the quality to low or medium just to have 4k. Don't you lose out on all of the additional affects (weather, etc) when you do that? Thus taking away from the "stunning look" you're going for anyway.

I would completely agree that cutting down settings to low or medium is pointless but ultra to high is often not really noticeable but really helps the smoothness of the game. 

Love not hate

18 minutes ago, jeremymwilson said:

I would completely agree that cutting down settings to low or medium is pointless but ultra to high is often not really noticeable but really helps the smoothness of the game. 

Ultra settings are over rated. And it becomes a situation where the image looks a lot crispier at 4K. For me, it is a tradeoff that I am willing to do. I own a 1440p screen but I am playing most games at 4K with DSR and will probably get a nice 4K IPS display for Christmas. 27 inch one since the pixel density of 4K at 27 inch is so good. You hardly need AA.

Main rig: Shockwave - MSI Z170 Gaming 7 MOBO, i7-6700k, 16GB DDR4 3000 MHz RAM, KFA2 GTX 980ti HOF, Corsair RM1000 PSU, Samsung 850 EVO 250GB SSD, WD 7200RPM 3TB, Corsair Air 540 White, ASUS P278Q 1440p 144Hz display.

Laptop: Lenovo Y510p, i7-4700HQ, 12 GB (8+4) 1600MHz DDR3 RAM, GT755 2GB SLI graphis card, 1366x768 display.

3 minutes ago, Miguel Batista said:

Ultra settings are over rated. And it becomes a situation where the image looks a lot crispier at 4K. For me, it is a tradeoff that I am willing to do. I own a 1440p screen but I am playing most games at 4K with DSR and will probably get a nice 4K IPS display for Christmas. 27 inch one since the pixel density of 4K at 27 inch is so good. You hardly need AA.

One of the problems is that all the benchmark videos I've ever seen use ultra settings in order to standardize the results. Then all gamers think that's what they should do to get the experience they need.  And all the guys doing the benchmarks at 4K always say you don't need AA or maybe some other settings but they still always turn everything up to max. No wonder so many people think it's ultra or nothing. 

Silly imo

Love not hate

21 minutes ago, jeremymwilson said:

One of the problems is that all the benchmark videos I've ever seen use ultra settings in order to standardize the results. Then all gamers think that's what they should do to get the experience they need.  And all the guys doing the benchmarks at 4K always say you don't need AA or maybe some other settings but they still always turn everything up to max. No wonder so many people think it's ultra or nothing. 

Silly imo

They use Ultra to show how the cards perform against the harshest situations.

Makes the most sense. If it can run the top tier decently, then it can run anything below better.

Pretty much every 4k review I've seen has had AA off.

CPU: Ryzen 9 5900 Cooler: EVGA CLC280 Motherboard: Gigabyte B550i Pro AX RAM: Kingston Hyper X 32GB 3200mhz

Storage: WD 750 SE 500GB, WD 730 SE 1TB GPU: EVGA RTX 3070 Ti PSU: Corsair SF750 Case: Streacom DA2

Monitor: LG 27GL83B Mouse: Razer Basilisk V2 Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red Speakers: Mackie CR5BT

MiniPC - Sold for $100 Profit

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i3 4160 Cooler: Integrated Motherboard: Integrated

RAM: G.Skill RipJaws 16GB DDR3 Storage: Transcend MSA370 128GB GPU: Intel 4400 Graphics

PSU: Integrated Case: Shuttle XPC Slim

Budget Rig 1 - Sold For $750 Profit

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i5 7600k Cooler: CryOrig H7 Motherboard: MSI Z270 M5

RAM: Crucial LPX 16GB DDR4 Storage: Intel S3510 800GB GPU: Nvidia GTX 980

PSU: Corsair CX650M Case: EVGA DG73

OG Gaming Rig - Gone

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i5 4690k Cooler: Corsair H100i V2 Motherboard: MSI Z97i AC ITX

RAM: Crucial Ballistix 16GB DDR3 Storage: Kingston Fury 240GB GPU: Asus Strix GTX 970

PSU: Thermaltake TR2 Case: Phanteks Enthoo Evolv ITX

Monitor: Dell P2214H x2 Mouse: Logitech MX Master Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red

10 minutes ago, dizmo said:

Makes the most sense. If it can run the top tier decently, then it can run anything below better.

Fair enough, but as a consumer I'd like to see benchmark videos show more realistic settings

Love not hate

4k medium to high is overall very nice to see anyway (depends on game still). Many of the special effects you can adjust manually. Anwyay for OP would recommend a 1080. Most games can then be played fine with high settings without to much troubles. Going from high to ultra is a big step sometimes in effects (like GTA V), but high looks in most scenarios great anyway. For Witcher 3 I think you can max out if I remember someone mentioning it in a older post.

4k is doable these days, but maxed out settings is still not there yet.

The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane.

Basic PC parts guide

PSU Tier list

GTX 1080 would be your best bet, or wait for the 1080Ti. I got both games and I run them maxed out (with lowered AA settings)

Spoiler

CPU: AMD R7 5800X | CPU Cooler: Corsair H115i PRO | Motherboard: MSI B550-A PRO | Memory: G.Skill RIPJAWS V DDR4 3200mhz 64GB | GPU: EVGA RTX 3080Ti FTW3 Ultra | PSU: Seasonic Prime 1300w | OS Drive: Samsung 850 EVO SSD 500GB | Games Drive: Samsung 850 EVO SSD 1TB | Media Drive: 2x WD Blue HDD 1TB in Raid 0 | Media Drive: 2x WD Black HDD 2TB in Raid 1 | Case: Corsair Obsidian 750D | Monitor 1: ASUS PB287Q UHD | Monitor 2: ASUS PG278Q WQHD

There must be 2 different 4K Resolutions out there. The one i know needs a ridiculous amount of performance.

CPU i7 6700k MB  MSI Z170A Pro Carbon GPU Zotac GTX980Ti amp!extreme RAM 16GB DDR4 Corsair Vengeance 3k CASE Corsair 760T PSU Corsair RM750i MOUSE Logitech G9x KB Logitech G910 HS Sennheiser GSP 500 SC Asus Xonar 7.1 MONITOR Acer Predator xb270hu Storage 1x1TB + 2x500GB Samsung 7200U/m - 2x500GB SSD Samsung 850EVO

There are actually 2 4k reso's :) the 1 used overall in PC and TV world is 3840x 2160 and is actually Ultra HD. 4k in cinema has a bit different number starting with 4096 instead of the 3840. But 3.9 K sucks to advertise.... Hehe

Basic PC parts guide

PSU Tier list

On 11/6/2016 at 9:10 PM, dizmo said:

23 hours ago, jeremymwilson said:

23 hours ago, Miguel Batista said:

22 hours ago, dizmo said:

21 hours ago, Gonio said:

4k medium to high is overall very nice to see anyway (depends on game still). Many of the special effects you can adjust manually. Anwyay for OP would recommend a 1080. Most games can then be played fine with high settings without to much troubles. Going from high to ultra is a big step sometimes in effects (like GTA V), but high looks in most scenarios great anyway. For Witcher 3 I think you can max out if I remember someone mentioning it in a older post.

4k is doable these days, but maxed out settings is still not there yet.

It's true you guys, it really looks a lot crispier and nice at 4K like @Miguel Batista said, and medium settings (for me anyway) looks great, but the problem is since my 750 Ti doesn't have that HDMI 2.0 it laggs a lot at 4k, but thats why i also said i am aiming at only a HDMI 2.0 port and see the difference for my self and yes I use 3860 by 2160, because my Ti handles it very well at 1080p and high-ultra settings (with the Ci 6500). Sadly though i don't have the money to just go buy a 1070, that's why i wanted to try with a 1060.

But again thanks for all the input and maybe I will wait for the Ti versions of the cards.

Did put a 1070 last week in the system of my nephew that bought a 4k tv  because his old one broke down... His 7950 didn't really cut it somehow :)

Can say that it looks great. Make sure that the HDMI cable you have is a highspeed cable. Other then that if all is HDMI 2.0 your good to go.

Basic PC parts guide

PSU Tier list