Don't hate me for asking

WaitDontSh00t

Hey people of LTT!

I have been loving my PC Build that I built recently. Especially my Acer Predator X34. 

Now please...don't hate me. (Mainly you PCMRs)

I recently have been playing quite a bit of console (Xbone) lately with some buds. You might already see the issue here. Trying to play Xbox on my 3440x1440 monitor...well...it kinda looks terrible. I was wondering if there was ANY way to make it look better somehow...at all..(Besides buying a 1080p/4K screen obviously). My setup really doesn't allow an additional screen unless I mount it on the wall above my main, which to me..just doesn't seem too comfortable having to look up the whole time.

I doubt there is a way, I most likely will be stuck with how it looks, but I thought I would give it a shot at least!

Thanks in advance.

I don't think the xbox supports above 1080p, try going into the tv settings and messingaround, do you have the xbox one S?

i7-7700k @4.8GHz

Asus Maxmius IX hero

EVGA GTX 1080Ti FTW 3

850w EVGA PSU

32GB corsair LPX ddr4 ram 

Not really, its best to run a monitor at its native resolution for best visual quality. Not alot you can do beside using a different monitor (Not to my knowledge at least). 

Please quote our replys so we get a notification and can reply easily. Never cheap out on a PSU, or I will come to watch the fireworks. 

PSU Tier List

My specs

Spoiler

PC:

CPU: Intel Core i5-6600K @4.8GHz
CPU Cooler: Noctua NH-U14S 
Motherboard:  ASUS Maximus VIII Hero 
GPU: Zotac AMP Extreme 1070 @ 2114Mhz
Memory: Corsair Vengeance LPX 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR4-2400 
Storage: Samsung 850 EVO-Series 500GB 
Storage: Western Digital Caviar Blue 1TB
Case: Cooler Master MasterCase Pro 5 
Power Supply: EVGA 750W G2

Peripherals 

Keyboard: Corsair K70 LUX Browns
Mouse: Logitech G502 
Headphones: Kingston HyperX Cloud Revolver 

Monitor: U2713M @ 75Hz

11 minutes ago, WaitDontSh00t said:

Hey people of LTT!

I have been loving my PC Build that I built recently. Especially my Acer Predator X34. 

I recently have been playing quite a bit of console (Xbone) lately with some buds. You might already see the issue here. Trying to play Xbox on my 3440x1440 monitor...well...it kinda looks terrible. I was wondering if there was ANY way to make it look better somehow...at all..(Besides buying a 1080p/4K screen obviously). My setup really doesn't allow an additional screen unless I mount it on the wall above my main, which to me..just doesn't seem too comfortable having to look up the whole time.

I doubt there is a way, I most likely will be stuck with how it looks, but I thought I would give it a shot at least!

Thanks in advance.

There might be a way to change the Aspect Ratio to something that would give you black bars on the sides of the screen to make it look less stretched. I will do some google and see what I can find.

\

10 minutes ago, That-Something_ said:

I don't think the xbox supports above 1080p, try going into the tv settings and messingaround, do you have the xbox one S?

Yeah, that's what I thought. I'm just on the original Xbox One. Video options wise, I really am just either able to set the quality to 720p or 1080p.

5 minutes ago, Nicholas Marzio said:

There might be a way to change the Aspect Ratio to something that would give you black bars on the sides of the screen to make it look less stretched. I will do some google and see what I can find.

Actually, it's not too much of a stretched look. The Xbox scales itself down from the full 34'' to about 27''. I have big black bars on my left and right. I assume it's trying to match 1080p. Problem is, it just still looks pretty bad. Now that you guys wrote though, I'm thinking more that it's just not going to be possible to make it look better. Which is a bummer lol

Just now, WaitDontSh00t said:

Yeah, that's what I thought. I'm just on the original Xbox One. 

Actually, it's not too much of a stretched look. The Xbox scales itself down from the full 34'' to about 27''. I have big black bars on my left and right. I assume it's trying to match 1080p. Problem is, it just still looks pretty bad. Now that you guys wrote though, I'm thinking more that it's just not going to be possible to make it look better. Which is a bummer lol

Can you take a picture so I have some image of what it looks like? :)

\

1 minute ago, Nicholas Marzio said:

Sure, give me a few minutes.

Thanks for the help so far!

12 minutes ago, Nicholas Marzio said:

I took 2 photos, being as it's almost 3 am I didn't have a lot of light to work with, so I had to up the brightness lol..Though hopefully you get the general idea of what I was saying.

http://imgur.com/a/z82wt

10 minutes ago, WaitDontSh00t said:

Sure, give me a few minutes.

Thanks for the help so far!

I think I might know the answer.

1080p won't really look good on your display because the vertical height on your monitor is 1440p. It's difficult to explain, but it might not look good because 1080p can't be directly scaled up to 1440p. If your screen was 4K it would be easy, because 4K is exactly 4x as many pixels as 1080p so each 1080p "pixel" would just take up four pixels on the 4K screen. With 1440p it's not so easy, because 1080p doesn't go evenly into 1440p.

I hope that made some sense :P

Project White Lightning (My ITX Gaming PC): Core i5-4690K | CRYORIG H5 Ultimate | ASUS Maximus VII Impact | HyperX Savage 2x8GB DDR3 | Samsung 850 EVO 250GB | WD Black 1TB | Sapphire RX 480 8GB NITRO+ OC | Phanteks Enthoo EVOLV ITX | Corsair AX760 | LG 29UM67 | CM Storm Quickfire Ultimate | Logitech G502 Proteus Spectrum | HyperX Cloud II | Logitech Z333

Benchmark Results: 3DMark Firestrike: 10,528 | SteamVR VR Ready (avg. quality 7.1) | VRMark 7,004 (VR Ready)

Other systems I've built:

Core i3-6100 | CM Hyper 212 EVO | MSI H110M ECO | Corsair Vengeance LPX 1x8GB DDR4  | ADATA SP550 120GB | Seagate 500GB | EVGA ACX 2.0 GTX 1050 Ti | Fractal Design Core 1500 | Corsair CX450M

Core i5-4590 | Intel Stock Cooler | Gigabyte GA-H97N-WIFI | HyperX Savage 2x4GB DDR3 | Seagate 500GB | Intel Integrated HD Graphics | Fractal Design Arc Mini R2 | be quiet! Pure Power L8 350W

I am not a professional. I am not an expert. I am just a smartass. Don't try and blame me if you break something when acting upon my advice.

...why are you still reading this?

I took 2 photos, being as it's almost 3 am I didn't have a lot of light to work with, so I had to up the brightness lol..Though hopefully you get the general idea of what I was saying.

Hmm, so basically the image looks stretched. What is the Aspect Ratio that the screen is setting itself when switching to the xbox input.

\

Just now, ThinkWithPortals said:

I think I might know the answer.

1080p won't really look good on your display because the vertical height on your monitor is 1440p. It's difficult to explain, but it might not look good because 1080p can't be directly scaled up to 1440p. If your screen was 4K it would be easy, because 4K is exactly 4x as many pixels as 1080p so each 1080p "pixel" would just take up four pixels on the 4K screen. With 1440p it's not so easy, because 1080p doesn't go evenly into 1440p.

I hope that made some sense :P

That makes perfect sense, and that's what I was pretty sure of. I guess I'm just desperate for a better looking image haha.

5 minutes ago, Nicholas Marzio said:

Hmm, so basically the image looks stretched. What is the Aspect Ratio that the screen is setting itself when switching to the xbox input.

It's literally just labeled as "Aspect Ratio". The only other option I have on the monitor settings is 1:1, which I added a picture of on Imgur. 

3 minutes ago, huilun02 said:

Hook it to your TV instead...

Don't have one? Buy one.

How do you not have a TV?

Well, I simply don't have the desk space for it. I have all my gaming essentials in my room. 

My desk consists of my tower, ultrawide monitor and a 2560x1440 vertical next to it.

My only option would be to mount it on the wall above everything, but I feel like it's a pain having to look up at it, let alone game on it too.

3 minutes ago, WaitDontSh00t said:

It's literally just labeled as "Aspect Ratio". The only other option I have on the monitor settings is 1:1, which I added a picture of on Imgur. 

Well, I simply don't have the desk space for it. I have all my gaming essentials in my room. 

My desk consists of my tower, ultrawide monitor and a 2560x1440 vertical next to it.

My only option would be to mount it on the wall above everything, but I feel like it's a pain having to look up at it, let alone game on it too.

Does 1:1 not look better? Image 3 looks correct. Black bars above, below and sides.

\

2 minutes ago, Nicholas Marzio said:

Does 1:1 not look better? Image 3 looks correct. Black bars above, below and sides.

1:1 does look better. Unfortunately, the actual screen is so small lol. To me, it's pretty hard to see things at the ratio. 

I'm guessing this is where I have to make a choice of either a larger screen w/worse quality or a super small screen w/better quality.

1:1 does look better. Unfortunately, the actual screen is so small lol. To me, it's pretty hard to see things at the ratio. 

I'm guessing this is where I have to make a choice of either a larger screen w/worse quality or a super small screen w/better quality.

Pretty much, I have the same issue with my one screen :/

\

2 minutes ago, Nicholas Marzio said:

Pretty much, I have the same issue with my one screen :/

Well thank you for sticking with me and trying to help me figure this out. Maybe I'll figure something out on how I could possibly squeeze a TV in somewhere.

17 minutes ago, WaitDontSh00t said:

a 2560x1440 vertical next to it.

Maybe trying using your xbone with that monitor? Sometimes it's just better to have it plugged into a native 16:9 monitor even if it's the wrong resolution. 

Looking at my signature are we now? Well too bad there's nothing here...

What? As I said, there seriously is nothing here :) 

1 minute ago, Mr.Meerkat said:

Maybe trying using your xbone with that monitor? Sometimes it's just better to have it plugged into a native 16:9 monitor even if it's the wrong resolution. 

I'll give that a shot and see if that changes anything. Thanks for the recommendation!

1 hour ago, WaitDontSh00t said:

Hey people of LTT!

Thanks in advance.

nope, best to run it at the resolution its intended to run on, which is 1080p.

why would you even play on a 3440x1440 monitor, just get a TV/monitor that you're supposed to play on.

"Sulit" (adj.) something that is worth it

i7 8700K 4.8Ghz delidded / Corsair H100i V2 / Asus Strix Z370-F / G.Skill Trident Z RGB 16GB 3200 / EVGA GTX 1080Ti FTW3 / ASUS ROG SWIFT PG279Q

Samsung 850 EVO 500GB & 250GB - Crucial MX300 M.2 525GB / Fractal Design Define S / Corsair K70 MX Reds / Logitech G502 / Beyerdynamic DT770 250Ohm

SMSL SD793II AMP/DAC - Schiit Magni 3 / PCPP

Old Rig

i5 2500k 4.5Ghz | Gigabyte Z68XP-UD3P | Zotac GTX 980 AMP! Extreme | Crucial Ballistix Tactical 16GB 1866MHz

11 hours ago, SeanAngelo said:

nope, best to run it at the resolution its intended to run on, which is 1080p.

why would you even play on a 3440x1440 monitor, just get a TV/monitor that you're supposed to play on.

That's what I thought.

Obviously, I'm playing on it because it's what I currently have at my disposable. Didn't think it would hurt to ask before considering a new purchase. :)

16 hours ago, WaitDontSh00t said:

That's what I thought.

Obviously, I'm playing on it because it's what I currently have at my disposable. Didn't think it would hurt to ask before considering a new purchase. :)

but yeah, if you want the best quality possible, you should get a 1080p monitor or TV to play on :)

"Sulit" (adj.) something that is worth it

i7 8700K 4.8Ghz delidded / Corsair H100i V2 / Asus Strix Z370-F / G.Skill Trident Z RGB 16GB 3200 / EVGA GTX 1080Ti FTW3 / ASUS ROG SWIFT PG279Q

Samsung 850 EVO 500GB & 250GB - Crucial MX300 M.2 525GB / Fractal Design Define S / Corsair K70 MX Reds / Logitech G502 / Beyerdynamic DT770 250Ohm

SMSL SD793II AMP/DAC - Schiit Magni 3 / PCPP

Old Rig

i5 2500k 4.5Ghz | Gigabyte Z68XP-UD3P | Zotac GTX 980 AMP! Extreme | Crucial Ballistix Tactical 16GB 1866MHz