Former EA CEO Claims $60 for a Game is “a Giant FU”

origx36

john Riccitiello the former ceo of EA sayed some things about video games pricing in his speech at "Gaming Insiders Summit" .

he was admitting that 60$ for a game is to much for many pepole.

During a speech at the Gaming Insiders Summit, Riccitiello claimed that console games need to come up with a more variable pricing plan, similar to mobile games, simply because “$60 is a giant FU to a very large number of people.”

Riccitiello is correct that free-to-play has taken off on the mobile market, but what’s holding back the console effort is not so much that great games can’t be made with the free-to-play model. This biggest problem is great games aren’t being made with the free-to-play model.

full article on techno buffalo:http://www.technobuffalo.com/2013/10/23/former-ea-ceo-claims-60-for-a-game-is-a-giant-fu/

what do you think is the highest price AAA titles should have?

$40 bucks max IMO.

Personal Rig

i7 4790K | Asus Z97I-WiFi | CM 280L | Sapphire R9 290X Tri-X | Kingston ValueRAM 2 x 8GB | 128GB Samsung 840 Pro | 2TB Seagate SSHD | Seasonic Platinium 660W | Bitfenix Prodigy

I don't see the issue most Super Nintendo games were 50 or 60

i like the poll but it's already been posted lol

i was searching for it on the forum, didnt find it.

posted it

40 max or go fuck yourselves

cpu: intel i5 4670k @ 4.5ghz Ram: G skill ares 2x4gb 2166mhz cl10 Gpu: GTX 680 liquid cooled cpu cooler: Raijintek ereboss Mobo: gigabyte z87x ud5h psu: cm gx650 bronze Case: Zalman Z9 plus

Listen if you care.

Cpu: intel i7 4770k @ 4.2ghz Ram: G skill  ripjaws 2x4gb Gpu: nvidia gtx 970 cpu cooler: akasa venom voodoo Mobo: G1.Sniper Z6 Psu: XFX proseries 650w Case: Zalman H1

i was searching for it on the forum, didnt find it.

posted it

oh well it has.. sooo yeah

1$ max :D

I personally don't enjoy 9-string guitars, but that doesn't change the fact that they look awesome as hell!

Most I'll ever pay for any game is £39.99, and even that is a rare occurrence - it has to be a game I really want. £39.99 = ~$60 so that's what I selected, but bear in mind I live in the UK so the tax on it is probably higher and therefore we're used to paying more. Plus our incomes are probably adjusted somewhat. £29.99 (~$50) is the maximum reasonable price for a game imo. I'll pay £39.99 but only grudgingly. When I saw Rome 2 for £45 on Steam I was like "lol no"

150 max per game, i only buy like 2 or 3 games a year...

msi z97m gaming - i5 4690k @4.4ghz 1.2V corsair h110 powercolor r9 290x pcs+ - 8GB corsair vengeance dual channel @2133mhz - thermaltake smart power se 730watts - intel 530 series 240GB ssd seagate 1tb 7200rpm - corsiar obsidian 350D - 2x enermax tb silence 140mm - logitech x-530 - sony mdr xb600 - medion 24'' 1080P cm storm quickfire tk white edition with cherry mx red cheap but awesome mouse #GloriousPaintMasterRace

I think it really depends. There are a lot of games that I've played that have cost far less than $60 but in terms of the time I've sank into it along with the content was comparable to a $60 game that I only spent a few hours on.

Desert Storm PC | Corsair 600T | ASUS Sabertooth 990FX AM3+ | AMD FX-8350 | MSI 7950 TFIII | 16GB Corsair Vengeance 1600 | Seasonic X650W I Samsung 840 series 500GB SSD

Mobile Devices I ASUS Zenbook UX31E I Nexus 7 (2013) I Nexus 5 32GB (red)

I miss the PlayStation 2 days when a brand new game was $40.

But anyway, I don't see a problem with a game having an MSRP of $60.  If you want it Day 1, pay up.  I'm more than willing to wait a year for prices to drop before buying a game.

It's a problem when a game is still being sold at MSRP a year, two years, three years after release.

It's also a problem when the game prompts you to buy DLC on Day 1 for the "best experience."  Why the hell isn't it on the disc?

Intel Core i7-7700K | EVGA GeForce GTX 1080 FTW | ASUS ROG Strix Z270G Gaming | 32GB G-Skill TridentZ RGB DDR4-3200 | Corsair AX860i

Cooler Master MasterCase Pro 3 Samsung 950 Pro 256GB | Samsung 850 Evo 1TB | EKWB Custom Loop | Noctua NF-F12(x4)/NF-A14 LTT Special Edition

Dell S2716DGR | Corsair K95 RGB Platinum (Cherry MX Brown) | Logitech G502 Proteus Spectrum | FiiO E17 DAC/Amp | Beyerdynamic DT990 Pro

Day 1 DLC is bullsh*t. I wish games cost more or less based on content. I gladly paid max price for BF4 because I know it will be worth it and I get it day one, but not every game is a Mass Effect, Dragon Age, or COD. They are not all these big endeavors that you know you will get your money out of. Games should not all cost 59.99 just because the big AAA games do.

personally i ONLY buy games when they are 30 or below

which means i normally buy 2+ month old games

i can afford 60$ games but most of them arnt worth

but id pay 200$ for star citizen or Last of Us

If your grave doesn't say "rest in peace" on it You are automatically drafted into the skeleton war.

I would say $40 USD for most games (FPS) and $60 USD for larger games (open-world mostly).

"You Can't Buy Happiness, But You Can Buy Horsepower, And That's Kind of The Same Thing."

Proportional to perceived quality:

I'd pay less than $5 for the bog-standard AAAs without redeeming creative qualities like Assassin's Creed or GTA.

I'd pay $5 for a quirky indie that looks alright but isn't great, for example Papers, Please or FTL. (The latter however is slightly better than expected, but still not $10 tier)

I'd pay $10 for a very good looking indie, for example Amnesia: Dark Descent.

I'd pay $15 max for an "average looking AAA". IE games that are consistently slightly more creative than the majority of AAA, like for example Deus Ex: Human Rev.

I'd pay $20 max for graphically good games with a unique concept or one of my favourite genres like Book of Unwritten Tales.

I'd pay $25 max for the very cream of indie games, must be creative, unique, good graphics and great gameplay. Example: Natural Selection 2.

I'd pay $40 max for the very best AAA titles, that fall short of my top 3 franchises. Example: Fallout.

I'd only ever pay $60 for my three favourite franchises. Mirror's Edge, The Elder Scrolls and Civilization.

I'd only ever pay more than $60 in the case of a supremely revolutionizing and extremely well made game. The only two games in history that have managed this so far is The Secret World (lifetime sub, $250+) and Star Citizen (upwards of $600 now on my own account and gifts for others)

So I voted $40, because that probably represents the majority of games I buy, though I sometimes don't buy them until a sale just because I was playing something else.

In case the moderators do not ban me as requested, this is a notice that I have left and am not coming back.

$40 because thats what the xbox and ps2 games cost back in the day and i liked those prices and i bought many games and no i dont

Computer and other things (My Phanteks Enthoo Elite build is done)

Spoiler

Main Computer

Spoiler

Processor: Intel Core i7 6850k @4.5GHz
Motherboard: Asus Rampage V ROG Edition 10
Heatsink: Custom Hardline
Memory: Corsaor Dominator 16GB (4GB x2) DDR4 3000MHz 
Video Card: EVGA GTX 1080 FTW
Hard Drive: x2 OCZ ARC 100 240GB RAID 0 (Boot), Western Digital 4TB SSHD (Steam), x2 Adata 512GB (Steam)
Main GUI: Windows 10 Pro 64-bit

All That Extra Stuff

Spoiler

Monitor: x2 Dell U2414H
Keyboard: Ducky Shine 5 RGB (Cherry MX Blue)
Mouse: Logitech G502
Headset: AKG K553 Pro Studio Headphones
Speakers: Boston Accustics Home Media Theater 2.1 + Boston Accustics Soundbar
Microphone: Audio Technica AT-2035 w/ Focusrite Scarlett Solo
Sound: Creative Sound Blaster E5 DAC

Server

Spoiler

Case: Rosewill 4U Rackmount RSV-L4500

Processor: Intel Xeon E5-2670 V3 12C/24T

Motherboard: Asrock x99 Extreme 4

Ram: Kingston HyperX DDR4 2133 4x4GB

Video Card: Nvidia GT520

OS Drive: Kingston Hyperx 240GB SSD

Raid Card: LSI MegaRaid  9261-8i 8-port

Hard Drives: x7 HGST 4TB Nas

I can't vote... why? 

In Australia, if you buy games from retail stores (EB Games - it's GameStop but under a different name for some reason) a game will easily cost $70, worst case scenario, $100~ 

i5 4670K | ASUS Z87 Gryphon | EVGA GTX 780 Classified | Kingston HyperX black 16GB |  Kingston HyperX 3K 120GB SSD | Seagate Barracude 3TB - RAID 1 | Silverstone Strider Plus 750W 80Plus Silver | CoolerMaster Hyper 212X | Fractal Design Define Mini 

I wouldn't mind paying £100 for a game as long as the content scaled well. There are not many games though that I would actually pay £100 for. I think Planetside 2 would be one, Fallout 4 would be another and Arma 3 would be the last. But that is only if there was enough content to make that game worth it because at the moment Arma 3 and Planetside 2 would need to be adapted to make it worth it. Fallout 4 is obviously not out yet but It's my favorite series so I would be willing to pay anything. Most games today are quite bad and do not have enough content without artificially increasing the complete time. Eg. the experience systems in COD and BF which without would decrease the complete time. I personally think that Bf 4 shouldn't have any unlockable items but everything unlocked at the start without paying for it.

(\__/)

(='.'=)

(")_(")  GTX 1070 5820K 500GB Samsung EVO SSD 1TB WD Green 16GB of RAM Corsair 540 Air Black EVGA Supernova 750W Gold  Logitech G502 Fiio E10 Wharfedale Diamond 220 Yamaha A-S501 Lian Li Fan Controller NHD-15 KBTalking Keyboard

I am ok with 60$ but the problem is 60$ is only the North America price, when it comes to my country, some games cost 80+$ already, and that for me is an insult, the only way you can ensure the same price for all is digital copy, but that for me beats the purpose of the disc based games ( btw i love the physical copyes ) 

System

CPU: i7 4770kMotherboard: Asus Maximus VI HeroRAM: HyperX KHX318C9SRK4/32 - 32GB DDR3-1866 CL9 / GPU: Gainward Geforce GTX 670 Phantom Case: Cooler Master HAF XBStorage: 1 TB WD BluePSU: Cooler Master V-650sDisplay(s): Dell U2312HM, LG194WT, LG E1941

Cooling: Noctua NH-D15Keyboard: Logitech G710+Mouse: Logitech G502 Proteus SpectrumSound: Focusrite 2i4 - USB DAC / OS: Windows 7 (still holding on XD)

You guys remember the SNES days when games were around $100? I think I bought Secret of Mana for $120 when it came out

I have about 1000€ invested in WoW so far, and some games with collectors' editions are well worth 70$+. Most games should be significantly cheaper though, didn't GTA V cost something like 250 million and the revenue was over a billion? That's a huge profit margin, it should have been like 30$.