Do CPUs (or mine, at least) get hotter with age?

Was curious about that.

I have an AMD Athlon x2 64 5200+ CPU, and it already has 7 years (almost 8) of constant use.

Even when dusting it off, cleaning my software, applying thermal paste, and the fan running at full speed, it still reaches up to 85ºc when i play any kind of games (the CPU usage goes up to 80% most of the time, or even 50% when watching videos ALONE).

Can the age be degrading it's performance?

Thanks for answering.

Not really no, it is "degrading" in performance simply because 8 years ago, computers weren't running all the same things that they are now. The games were less demanding, the video wasn't as demanding (chances are that most content you were teaching 8 years ago was NOT 1080p) and even the operating systems have become more resource hungry.

When in doubt, re-format.

First look at power plans and make sure the minimumm state is 0%, though that's a """first gen""" AM2 CPU so not controlled by software probably (cool'n'quiet in BIOS)

if you're using windows 10 disable the update service, that tanks old CPUs (still 85 ºC is a big nope on AM2)

Delidding might not be an option, high chance of being soldered

Other than those, what's your cooler? is it properly seated? is it using the original mount or needed to replace it?

This is a signature.

Age can degrade your overclock a little bit, but that's it. A processor running at 3.0 GHz will perform exactly the same for whatever lifespan it has, provided you keep everything else in check, like cooling. It'll die when it dies.

2 minutes ago, 79 Potatoes said:

First look at power plans and make sure the minimumm state is 0%, though that's a """first gen""" AM2 CPU so not controlled by software probably (cool'n'quiet in BIOS)

if you're using windows 10 disable the update service, that tanks old CPUs (still 85 ºC is a big nope on AM2)

Delidding might not be an option, high chance of being soldered

Other than those, what's your cooler? is it properly seated? is it using the original mount or needed to replace it?

It's the stock cooler that it had since my brother bought the computer.

And i think it's properly seated, yeah.

1 minute ago, Dyroo said:

It's the stock cooler that it had since my brother bought the computer.

And i think it's properly seated, yeah.

Something is wrong then... 85 ºC is not safe for that CPU

I've a 5600+ with stock, doesn't go above 60 ºC at full load, even while loading 1440p xD (high load on CPU with 1080p is normal)

What are you using to read the temps?

This is a signature.

5 minutes ago, 79 Potatoes said:

Something is wrong then... 85 ºC is not safe for that CPU

I've a 5600+ with stock, doesn't go above 60 ºC at full load, even while loading 1440p xD (high load on CPU with 1080p is normal)

What are you using to read the temps?

HWMonitor and Speccy, they show the same temp.

2 minutes ago, Dyroo said:

HWMonitor and Speccy, they show the same temp.

No idea then. It can be bad mount (if the lever is "bendy"), bad settings (look at voltage/frequency in BIOS), bad MB (well... that was the bad cap era) or (highly unlikely) power virus

This is a signature.

It could be that whatever TIM (I don't know if it's thermal paste of solder) that's used between the CPU die and IHS is degrading over time. That could explain it. A delid would help, but if the CPUs soldered on... You really shouldn't do it then.

Make sure to quote me or tag me when responding to me, or I might not know you replied! Examples:

Do this:

And make sure you do it by hitting the quote button at the bottom left of my post, and not the one inside the editor!

Or this:

@DocSwag

Buy whatever product is best for you, not what product is "best" for the market.

Interested in computer architecture? Still in middle or high school? P.M. me!

I love computer hardware and feel free to ask me anything about that (or phones). I especially like SSDs. But please do not ask me anything about Networking, programming, command line stuff, or any relatively hard software stuff. I know next to nothing about that.

Compooters:

Spoiler

Desktop:

Spoiler

CPU: i7 6700k, CPU Cooler: be quiet! Dark Rock Pro 3, Motherboard: MSI Z170a KRAIT GAMING, RAM: G.Skill Ripjaws 4 Series 4x4gb DDR4-2666 MHz, Storage: SanDisk SSD Plus 240gb + OCZ Vertex 180 480 GB + Western Digital Caviar Blue 1 TB 7200 RPM, Video Card: EVGA GTX 970 SSC, Case: Fractal Design Define S, Power Supply: Seasonic Focus+ Gold 650w Yay, Keyboard: Logitech G710+, Mouse: Logitech G502 Proteus Spectrum, Headphones: B&O H9i, Monitor: LG 29um67 (2560x1080 75hz freesync)

Home Server:

Spoiler

CPU: Pentium G4400, CPU Cooler: Stock, Motherboard: MSI h110l Pro Mini AC, RAM: Hyper X Fury DDR4 1x8gb 2133 MHz, Storage: PNY CS1311 120gb SSD + two Segate 4tb HDDs in RAID 1, Video Card: Does Intel Integrated Graphics count?, Case: Fractal Design Node 304, Power Supply: Seasonic 360w 80+ Gold, Keyboard+Mouse+Monitor: Does it matter?

Laptop (I use it for school):

Spoiler

Surface book 2 13" with an i7 8650u, 8gb RAM, 256 GB storage, and a GTX 1050

And if you're curious (or a stalker) I have a Just Black Pixel 2 XL 64gb

3 hours ago, DocSwag said:

It could be that whatever TIM (I don't know if it's thermal paste of solder) that's used between the CPU die and IHS is degrading over time. That could explain it. A delid would help, but if the CPUs soldered on... You really shouldn't do it then.

Don't know how to do that; And i think the cpu ain't solded, since i could remove it from the MB and see the pins and all.

37 minutes ago, Dyroo said:

Don't know how to do that; And i think the cpu ain't solded, since i could remove it from the MB and see the pins and all.

No no no... That's not what I mean.

IHS stands for internal heat spreader. The big piece of metal you're CPU cooler attaches to on the top of your CPU? That's not actually the actual CPU. Here's a good example of what I'm talking about:NwY18Ue.jpg

The bottom thing is what you're familiar at seeing when you look at your CPU without the cooler on. That's called the IHS, or Internal Heat Spreader. However, the top is the ACTUAL CPU. Most of it is just circuitry connecting the transistors in the CPU to the pins, but the piece of silver stuff in the center is what contains the actual transistors in the CPU itself. This is called the die. Sometimes you'll hear terms like die size. This refers to the size of the die, or the size of the part of the CPU that contains the actual transistors.

The purpose of the IHS is to mostly to provide support. If you put a cooler straight on the die, sometimes you can have issues with spreading so much force on so little area (an IHS gets support from the green board on the CPU too) which can cause the CPU to bend. It can potentially help cool your CPU down, but it doesn't actually do that that much.

Naturally, you need some sort of a material to transfer heat between the die and the IHS. Most modern CPUs use some sort of thermal paste to do this because it's cheaper and does the job, but older CPUs as well as the more modern ones use solder as the thermal paste. It provides better heat transfer (naturally, because it's metal), but also because the solder becomes subject to repeated heating and cooling it can crack and expand and this can be a problem. 

Delidding refers to taking the IHS off of the CPU, usually to replace the thermal paste, though sometimes in order to run the CPU without an IHS. What I'm saying is that you're CPU might be running hot because the thermal paste or solder between the die and the IHS might have lost its effectiveness over time, which would result in the hotter temps you're seeing. Replacing the thermal paste would probably help solve this problem.

Note however: If you're CPU uses solder as the material between the die and the IHS, DO NOT DELID NO MATTER WHAT. Because the solder is stuck onto the CPU die, if you delid the CPU the conventional way (using a knife to cut the usually silicone that's connecting the IHS to the green circuit board on the CPU, then rip the IHS off, or another way to do it is use a vice to apply pressure to the CPU and pop the IHS off), when the IHS comes off, the solder will come off with it and, along with the solder, the CPU die. What might happen is... this...mAqhj.jpg

Basically, if you do this, you're CPU's dead.

I hope you learn something from this!

Make sure to quote me or tag me when responding to me, or I might not know you replied! Examples:

Do this:

And make sure you do it by hitting the quote button at the bottom left of my post, and not the one inside the editor!

Or this:

@DocSwag

Buy whatever product is best for you, not what product is "best" for the market.

I love computer hardware and feel free to ask me anything about that (or phones). I especially like SSDs. But please do not ask me anything about Networking, programming, command line stuff, or any relatively hard software stuff. I know next to nothing about that.

Compooters:

Spoiler

Desktop:

Spoiler

CPU: i7 6700k, CPU Cooler: be quiet! Dark Rock Pro 3, Motherboard: MSI Z170a KRAIT GAMING, RAM: G.Skill Ripjaws 4 Series 4x4gb DDR4-2666 MHz, Storage: SanDisk SSD Plus 240gb + OCZ Vertex 180 480 GB + Western Digital Caviar Blue 1 TB 7200 RPM, Video Card: EVGA GTX 970 SSC, Case: Fractal Design Define S, Power Supply: Seasonic Focus+ Gold 650w Yay, Keyboard: Logitech G710+, Mouse: Logitech G502 Proteus Spectrum, Headphones: B&O H9i, Monitor: LG 29um67 (2560x1080 75hz freesync)

Home Server:

Spoiler

CPU: Pentium G4400, CPU Cooler: Stock, Motherboard: MSI h110l Pro Mini AC, RAM: Hyper X Fury DDR4 1x8gb 2133 MHz, Storage: PNY CS1311 120gb SSD + two Segate 4tb HDDs in RAID 1, Video Card: Does Intel Integrated Graphics count?, Case: Fractal Design Node 304, Power Supply: Seasonic 360w 80+ Gold, Keyboard+Mouse+Monitor: Does it matter?

Spoiler

31 minutes ago, DocSwag said:

IHS stands for internal heat spreader. The big piece of metal you're CPU cooler attaches to on the top of your CPU? That's not actually the actual CPU. Here's a good example of what I'm talking about:NwY18Ue.jpg

The bottom thing is what you're familiar at seeing when you look at your CPU without the cooler on. That's called the IHS, or Internal Heat Spreader. However, the top is the ACTUAL CPU. Most of it is just circuitry connecting the transistors in the CPU to the pins, but the piece of silver stuff in the center is what contains the actual transistors in the CPU itself. This is called the die. Sometimes you'll hear terms like die size. This refers to the size of the die, or the size of the part of the CPU that contains the actual transistors.

The purpose of the IHS is to mostly to provide support. If you put a cooler straight on the die, sometimes you can have issues with spreading so much force on so little area (an IHS gets support from the green board on the CPU too) which can cause the CPU to bend. It can potentially help cool your CPU down, but it doesn't actually do that that much.

Naturally, you need some sort of a material to transfer heat between the die and the IHS. Most modern CPUs use some sort of thermal paste to do this because it's cheaper and does the job, but older CPUs as well as the more modern ones use solder as the thermal paste. It provides better heat transfer (naturally, because it's metal), but also because the solder becomes subject to repeated heating and cooling it can crack and expand and this can be a problem. 

Delidding refers to taking the IHS off of the CPU, usually to replace the thermal paste, though sometimes in order to run the CPU without an IHS. What I'm saying is that you're CPU might be running hot because the thermal paste or solder between the die and the IHS might have lost its effectiveness over time, which would result in the hotter temps you're seeing. Replacing the thermal paste would probably help solve this problem.

Note however: If you're CPU uses solder as the material between the die and the IHS, DO NOT DELID NO MATTER WHAT. Because the solder is stuck onto the CPU die, if you delid the CPU the conventional way (using a knife to cut the usually silicone that's connecting the IHS to the green circuit board on the CPU, then rip the IHS off, or another way to do it is use a vice to apply pressure to the CPU and pop the IHS off), when the IHS comes off, the solder will come off with it and, along with the solder, the CPU die. What might happen is... this...mAqhj.jpg

Oh damn...thanks for telling me this, then.

Appreciate it.

34 minutes ago, DocSwag said:

Another question: How is the fan supposed to look like when standing still?; Like, in which direction the fan tips are supposed to look at? (a picture describing it would really be helpful)

And to which side does it have to spin?

Thanks for answering.

1 minute ago, Dyroo said:

Another question: How is the fan supposed to look like when standing still?; Like, in which direction the fan tips are supposed to look at? (a picture describing it would really be helpful)

And to which side does it have to spin?

Thanks for answering.

I actually don't know :D 

I'm not really a case and fan person :P. I'm more of a electrical stuff guy. So I really can't tell you :D. If you want to find out, post another topic on the forums and someone else should be able to tell you.

Do this:

Or this:

@DocSwag

Compooters:

Spoiler

Desktop:

Spoiler

Home Server:

Spoiler

Spoiler

1 minute ago, DocSwag said:

I actually don't know :D 

I'm not really a case and fan person :P. I'm more of a electrical stuff guy. So I really can't tell you :D. If you want to find out, post another topic on the forums and someone else should be able to tell you.

Alright lad, thank you :)