Change from i5 6500 and i5 6600k.

I was curious is it hard to set up my current computer with a new processor. I plan to buy the i5 6700k but want to know if I would have to do anything in the bios or on my ssd to make it work properly. Or is it just "plug and play" after installing a water cooler. 

msi gaming m5 z170, msi gtx 1070 gaming z 8g, I5 6500 cpu, corsair carbide 600c, corsair vengence 32gig

i5 6600K or i7 6700K?

Anyways, changing CPU's is not all that difficult. At most you need to reset the CMOS (Keep in mind this wipes all BIOS settings), but often you don't even need to do this.

"We're all in this together, might as well be friends" Tom, Toonami.

mini eLiXiVy: my open source 65% mechanical PCB, a build log, PCB anatomy and discussing open source licenses: https://linustechtips.com/topic/1366493-elixivy-a-65-mechanical-keyboard-build-log-pcb-anatomy-and-how-i-open-sourced-this-project/

mini_cardboard: a 4% keyboard build log and how keyboards workhttps://linustechtips.com/topic/1328547-mini_cardboard-a-4-keyboard-build-log-and-how-keyboards-work/

Going from an I5 to an I7 is plug and play, you'll not have to do anything. Just make sure you update your UEFI to the latest version before you make the swap.

The more important question is what board do you have exactly?

Main Rig:-

Ryzen 7 3800X | Asus ROG Strix X570-F Gaming | 16GB Team Group Dark Pro 3600Mhz | Corsair MP600 1TB PCIe Gen 4 | Sapphire 5700 XT Pulse | Corsair H115i Platinum | WD Black 1TB | WD Green 4TB | EVGA SuperNOVA G3 650W | Asus TUF GT501 | Samsung C27HG70 1440p 144hz HDR FreeSync 2 | Ubuntu 20.04.2 LTS |

Server:-

Intel NUC running Server 2019 + Synology DSM218+ with 2 x 4TB Toshiba NAS Ready HDDs (RAID0)

2 minutes ago, Minibois said:

i5 6600K or i7 6700K?

Anyways, changing CPU's is not all that difficult. At most you need to reset the CMOS (Keep in mind this wipes all BIOS settings), but often you don't even need to do this.

I5 6600k hanks I changed my title. And oh OK. Yea I didn't change any bios when I did my new build so if I do have to reset cmos that's fine ^^thanks 

msi gaming m5 z170, msi gtx 1070 gaming z 8g, I5 6500 cpu, corsair carbide 600c, corsair vengence 32gig

2 minutes ago, Master Disaster said:

Going from an I5 to an I7 is plug and play, you'll not have to do anything. Just make sure you update your UEFI to the latest version before you make the swap.

The more important question is what board do you have exactly?

I've got the msi gaming m5 board and it should be updated. Msi has the live updater and it's working great for me haha 

7 minutes ago, Minibois said:

Every board I have worked on in recent memory (mostly z77 and z87) resets the BIOS as soon as you release the CPU retention arm, whether you actually take the cpu out or not.

When in doubt, re-format.

why do you change from i5 6500 to i5 6600K ? 

the price won't offer you another world, you may want to think about the i7 6700 or 6700K, more expensive, but much more different.

why did you want to change in the first place ?

11 minutes ago, pwn_intended said:

Every board I have worked on in recent memory (mostly z77 and z87) resets the BIOS as soon as you release the CPU retention arm, whether you actually take the cpu out or not.

Yea mines the z170 gaming m5 so it's new haha. Just wondering cuz I don't wanna crash my comp xD

1 minute ago, belfouf said:

why do you change from i5 6500 to i5 6600K ? 

the price won't offer you another world, you may want to think about the i7 6700 or 6700K, more expensive, but much more different.

why did you want to change in the first place ?

Cuz my cpu monitor says it goes up to like 80% usage when I'm editing a video figured the i5k would help out a bit. 

Just now, K-swigle said:

Yea mines the z170 gaming m5 so it's new haha. Just wondering cuz I don't wanna crash my comp xD

You wont crash your comp, but just make sure you check your biuos settings before you remove the cpu and then as soon as you put the new one in, check the settings again to see if anything has changed.

Also I didn't realize that youre going from 6500 to 6600k, I wouldn't bother with this upgrade and would instead save up for the unlocked i7 or wait for another 2 CPU generations to upgrade.

Just now, K-swigle said:

Cuz my cpu monitor says it goes up to like 80% usage when I'm editing a video figured the i5k would help out a bit. 

if you edit videos the i7 will help out much more 

-i5 6600K overclocked owner here-

1 minute ago, pwn_intended said:

You wont crash your comp, but just make sure you check your biuos settings before you remove the cpu and then as soon as you put the new one in, check the settings again to see if anything has changed.

Also I didn't realize that youre going from 6500 to 6600k, I wouldn't bother with this upgrade and would instead save up for the unlocked i7 or wait for another 2 CPU generations to upgrade.

Oh so the i5 6600k really isn't that big a deal

1 minute ago, K-swigle said:

No really no. The i5 would be a nice increase over a 2 core i3, but you wouldn't notice much of a difference from another i5 of the same generation.

And you WANT your CPU to be used at 100% when its doing video editing.

1 minute ago, belfouf said:

if you edit videos the i7 will help out much more 

-i5 6600K overclocked owner here-

Is there any benifit from going from 6500 to 6600k? I may get an I7 later just didn't wanna use that much cash now haha

3 minutes ago, K-swigle said:

Is there any benifit from going from 6500 to 6600k? I may get an I7 later just didn't wanna use that much cash now haha

you'll have some benefit, but not worth the investment. I personally regret not spending 100 more $ for what I do (photo editing).

Just save a bit and get the i7, you won't regret it. i5 6600k is great, no doubt about it, but "only" 20% more powerful than the i5 6500 that you have, while the i7 6700 is 30% and 70% in multicore

30 minutes ago, belfouf said:

you'll have some benefit, but not worth the investment. I personally regret not spending 100 more $ for what I do (photo editing).

Just save a bit and get the i7, you won't regret it. i5 6600k is great, no doubt about it, but "only" 20% more powerful than the i5 6500 that you have, while the i7 6700 is 30% and 70% in multicore

Oh OK well thanks for the info^^

35 minutes ago, pwn_intended said:

No really no. The i5 would be a nice increase over a 2 core i3, but you wouldn't notice much of a difference from another i5 of the same generation.

And you WANT your CPU to be used at 100% when its doing video editing.

Oh OK just never had it that high xD thanks for the info