True Watt needs vs advertised ones

RushIsRight97
Go to solution Solved by manikyath,

the reason manufacturers of eg. graphics cards advertise much higher than what will in 99% of cases be necesary is they need to consider much more than just the wattage of their card:

- what else is in the system it'll be going to

- what wattage of PSUs generally has the connectors the GPU needs

- at what wattage do we have comfortable enough headroom even for lower quality power supplies

- what are some common wattages in the pool of manufacturers we trust (dont wanna put 350 watt recommended on the box, when "sparkle power" or similar are the only ones that even ship such a wattage)

on the note of that power supply, i'd only keep it as an emergency spare or an electronics bench power supply. i wouldnt put that in an actually functional PC for longer than a few hours :D

image.jpgI just ran my planned pc specs through coolermaster's calculator. Specs are: fx-4300/ rx470/ 8gb ddr3/ one hdd and ssd/ standard others.  It said that load wattage is 279w and recommended wattage is 329w. Why then do they advertise 550w? Is my fsp350-50gmn 350w from sparkle power inc. ok to keep for other pc's? 

3 minutes ago, RushIsRight97 said:

image.jpgI just ran my planned pc specs through coolermaster's calculator. Specs are: fx-4300/ rx470/ 8gb ddr3/ one hdd and ssd/ standard others.  It said that load wattage is 279w and recommended wattage is 329w. Why then do they advertise 550w? Is my fsp350-50gmn 350w from sparkle power inc. ok to keep for other pc's? 

I wouldn't keep it on the pure basis that it's poor quality.

1 minute ago, Starelementpoke said:

I wouldn't keep it on the pure basis that it's poor quality.

^that.

The PSU is propably lacking proper certification, caps are probably aged in it and it's just plain old.

While the PC might work with that PSU, I would spend the extra coin and get a proper PSU with enough headroom for future expansion.

My overclocks managed to make a PSU cry (fx 4300 at 5ghz and an r9 270x, which aren't actually high demand components, but once OC'd they're hungry lil buggers)

Remember kids, the only difference between screwing around and science is writing it down. - Adam Savage

PHOΞNIX Ryzen 5 1600 @ 3.75GHz | Corsair LPX 16Gb DDR4 @ 2933 | MSI B350 Tomahawk | Sapphire RX 480 Nitro+ 8Gb | Intel 535 120Gb | Western Digital WD5000AAKS x2 | Cooler Master HAF XB Evo | Corsair H80 + Corsair SP120 | Cooler Master 120mm AF | Corsair SP120 | Icy Box IB-172SK-B | OCZ CX500W | Acer GF246 24" + AOC <some model> 21.5" | Steelseries Apex 350 | Steelseries Diablo 3 | Steelseries Syberia RAW Prism | Corsair HS-1 | Akai AM-A1

D.VA coming soon™ xoxo

Sapphire Acer Aspire 1410 Celeron 743 | 3Gb DDR2-667 | 120Gb HDD | Windows 10 Home x32

Vault Tec Celeron 420 | 2Gb DDR2-667 | Storage pending | Open Media Vault

gh0st Asus K50IJ T3100 | 2Gb DDR2-667 | 40Gb HDD | Ubuntu 17.04

Diskord Apple MacBook A1181 Mid-2007 Core2Duo T7400 @2.16GHz | 4Gb DDR2-667 | 120Gb HDD | Windows 10 Pro x32

Firebird//Phoeniix FX-4320 | Gigabyte 990X-Gaming SLI | Asus GTS 450 | 16Gb DDR3-1600 | 2x Intel 535 250Gb | 4x 10Tb Western Digital Red | 600W Segotep custom refurb unit | Windows 10 Pro x64 // offisite backup and dad's PC

Saint Olms Apple iPhone 6 16Gb Gold

Archon Microsoft Lumia 640 LTE

Gulliver Nokia Lumia 1320

Werkfern Nokia Lumia 520

Hydromancer Acer Liquid Z220

fx4300 rated TDP is 95 watts
Rx 470 rated TDP is 110 watts

what other said, they recommend more just to be safe, also this Sparkly PSU is absolute shiate, pls upgrade

on a side note, good chance that fx-4300 is going to bottleneck the rx 470
consider the FX6300 at the minimum 

Photography / Finance / Gaming

On a good psu you won't notice anything. 

CPU: i7-4770k @4.8ghz---Motherboard: Asus Sabertooth z97---Ram 32gb Corsair Vengeance---GPU: 2 EVGA GTX 980 4gb way sli---Case: Corsair 600T White---Storage: 500gb 850 Pro & WD Black 4tb---PSU: Corsair RM1000

the reason manufacturers of eg. graphics cards advertise much higher than what will in 99% of cases be necesary is they need to consider much more than just the wattage of their card:

- what else is in the system it'll be going to

- what wattage of PSUs generally has the connectors the GPU needs

- at what wattage do we have comfortable enough headroom even for lower quality power supplies

- what are some common wattages in the pool of manufacturers we trust (dont wanna put 350 watt recommended on the box, when "sparkle power" or similar are the only ones that even ship such a wattage)

on the note of that power supply, i'd only keep it as an emergency spare or an electronics bench power supply. i wouldnt put that in an actually functional PC for longer than a few hours :D

Some graphics cards are giving a suggestion on the amperage of the 12V rail, which is a much better recommendation. Looking at that PSU, 1/3 of its power is not from the 12V rail. I'm also in the camp it's not a good idea to run your PSU near 100% for long periods of time. While I'm sure the electronics don't care, I still liken that to running an engine at near redline speeds.

5 minutes ago, manikyath said:

Thanks for the helpful responses. Do you think that a good quality psu of 400w would be good for my current specs and also support upgrading the cpu to a fx6300?

3 minutes ago, RushIsRight97 said:

Thanks for the helpful responses. Do you think that a good quality psu of 400w would be good for my current specs and also support upgrading the cpu to a fx6300?

i wouldnt know a quality psu of 400W off the top of my head, but i wouldnt see why not seeing my i7 4790k and GTX970 together dont even touch 300 watts :P

Might I ask What psu brands you would recommend for 350-400ish watts?

Just now, RushIsRight97 said:

Might I ask What psu brands you would recommend for 350-400ish watts?

Grey Unit CXM