Friend Upgrading From AMD APU to GPU

Emberstone

My friend is upgrading to a GTX 1050 Ti from integrated graphics onboard his AMD A6 3650. I've never dealt with installing over an APU, so how does one go about doing that specifically so I don't lead him wrong? Do you simply run DDU, reconnect monitors to the GPU rather than the mobo, then install the new graphics card as normal? Or is there something in the BIOS that has to be disabled as well? We don't live anywhere near each other, so I can't check this for him.

Any help would be appreciated. Thanks!

Current Build:

CPU: Ryzen 7 5800X3D

GPU: RTX 3080 Ti FE

RAM: 32GB G.Skill Trident Z CL16 3200 MHz

Mobo: Asus Tuf X570 Plus Wifi

CPU Cooler: NZXT Kraken X53

PSU: EVGA G6 Supernova 850

Case: NZXT S340 Elite

Current Laptop:

Model: Asus ROG Zephyrus G14

CPU: Ryzen 9 5900HS

GPU: RTX 3060

RAM: 16GB @3200 MHz

Old PC:

CPU: Intel i7 8700K @4.9 GHz/1.315v

Mobo: Asus Prime Z370-A

just put the new GPU in and pretend there was never integrated graphics. just make sure you plug in the display cable to the card instead of the motherboard.

Install the GPU in the PCIe slot of the motherboard, if the motherboard is too old then there are chances you might need to switch graphics from on board to dedicated if not detected automatically in bios, be sure to connect monitor to the dedicated GPU connector, uninstall the old AMD catalyst driver, DDU not required as AMD driver won't affect nvdia GPU in any way, install latest nvdia driver for gtx 1050ti, and enjoy :-)

...You still have to plug your monitor into the graphics card xD

Other than that...it's that easy!

Just now, Emberstone said:

My friend is upgrading to a GTX 1050 Ti from integrated graphics onboard his AMD A6 3650. I've never dealt with installing over an APU, so how does one go about doing that specifically so I don't lead him wrong? Do you simply run DDU, reconnect monitors to the GPU rather than the mobo, then install the new graphics card as normal? Or is there something in the BIOS that has to be disabled as well? We don't live anywhere near each other, so I can't check this for him.

Any help would be appreciated. Thanks!

Just now, Electronics Wizardy said:

Put the new gpu in. 

Your good. Windows 8+ will auto install gpu drivers. You don't need to remove the old ones.

Just now, Beeeyeee said:

just put the new GPU in and pretend there was never integrated graphics. just make sure you plug in the display cable to the card instead of the motherboard.

Just now, Anir said:

Install the GPU in the PCIe slot do the motherboard, if the motherboard is too old then there are chances you might need to switch graphics from on board to dedicated if not detected automatically in bios, be sure to connect monitor to the dedicated GPU connector, uninstall the old AMD catalyst driver, DDU not required as AMD driver won't affect nvdia GPU in any way, install latest nvdia driver for gtx 1050ti, and enjoy :-)

Just now, kokakolia said:

...You still have to plug your monitor into the graphics card xD

Other than that...it's that easy!

Thanks for the replies folks. Just making sure there wasn't any wizardry in dealing with these things.

Current Build:

Current Laptop:

Old PC:

8 minutes ago, Emberstone said:

Thanks for the replies folks. Just making sure there wasn't any wizardry in dealing with these things.

It wouldn't be a bad idea to get your friend to overclock the APU's CPU either, because it will bottleneck the 1050ti (main thing that will be noticed, games will stutter and at times be barely playable despite the maximum and average fps).

"We also blind small animals with cosmetics.
We do not sell cosmetics. We just blind animals."

"Please don't mistake us for Equifax. Those fuckers are evil"

This PSA brought to you by Equifacks.
PMSL

Just now, Dabombinable said:

It wouldn't be a bad idea to get your friend to overclock the APU's CPU either, because it will bottleneck the 1050ti (main thing that will be noticed, games will stutter and at times be barely playable despite the maximum and average fps).

He only plays e-sports games for the most part, so we might not need to. If the CPU shows high usage though, I'll see what we can do. However, as I said before I'm completely inexperienced with AMD's CPUs, especially the lower end ones, so I could just be flat-out wrong.

Worst comes to worst, I'll find him a deal on good motherboard and a Pentium G4400 or i3-6100. Thanks for letting me know that this could be an issue!

Current Build:

Current Laptop:

Old PC:

The A6-3650 is a first generation AMD APU on the socket FM1 platform -- in other words, a ~2012 chip.

I used to own an A6-3670K (unlocked multiplier version of the A6-3650).

When you install a graphics card (GTX 1050Ti) into the PCI-Express slot, the motherboard should automatically disable the iGPU.

Just make sure you connect the monitor cable to the back of the GTX 1050Ti, and NOT to the back of the motherboard.

You may need to uninstall the graphics drivers first before install the nVIDIA dirvers for the GTX 1050Ti.

When you do so, select CUSTOM uninstallation.

The motherboard's Southbridge chipset drivers (SMBus Drivers) are usually included in the graphics driver package.

As @Dabombinable mentioned, it may be a good idea to give that A6-3650 an overclock if possible to relieve from bottleneck.

Those chips come stock at 2.6 GHz...and a very mediocre stock heatsink (all aluminum, no copper core or heatpipes).

You should be able to pull 2.8 GHz ~ 3.0 GHz with the stock cooler...and 3.2+ GHz if cooling is better.

At the time, I had the A6-3670K (stock 2.7 GHz) overclock to 3.2 GHz / 3.4 GHz, Gigabyte GA-A75-D3H motherboard, with a Radeon HD 7950 (Same HD 7950 in my Z97 Intel system -- shown in my signature), AND there WAS definitely some bottleneck with even CS:GO. FPS wise, if I recall correctly, it was still above ~100 FPS, but it was certainly not getting the 250+ FPS my i5-4690K gets.

Intel Z390 Rig ( *NEW* Primary )

Intel X99 Rig (Officially Decommissioned, Dead CPU returned to Intel)

• i7-8086K @ 5.1 GHz
  • Gigabyte Z390 Aorus Master
  • Sapphire NITRO+ RX 6800 XT S.E + EKwb Quantum Vector Full Cover Waterblock
  • 32GB G.Skill TridentZ DDR4-3000 CL14 @ DDR-3400 custom CL15 timings
  • SanDisk 480 GB SSD + 1TB Samsung 860 EVO +  500GB Samsung 980 + 1TB WD SN750
  • EVGA SuperNOVA 850W P2 + Red/White CableMod Cables
  • Lian-Li O11 Dynamic EVO XL
  • Ekwb Custom loop + 2x EKwb Quantum Surface P360M Radiators
  • Logitech G502 Proteus Spectrum + Corsair K70 (Red LED, anodized black, Cheery MX Browns)

AMD Ryzen Rig

• AMD R7-5800X
  • Gigabyte B550 Aorus Pro AC
  • 32GB (16GB X 2) Crucial Ballistix RGB DDR4-3600
  • Gigabyte Vision RTX 3060 Ti OC
  • EKwb D-RGB 360mm AIO
  • Intel 660p NVMe 1TB + Crucial MX500 1TB + WD Black 1TB HDD
  • EVGA P2 850W + White CableMod cables
  • Lian-Li LanCool II Mesh - White

Intel Z97 Rig (Decomissioned)

• Intel i5-4690K 4.8 GHz
  • ASUS ROG Maximus VII Hero Z97
  • Sapphire Vapor-X HD 7950 EVGA GTX 1070 SC Black Edition ACX 3.0
  • 20 GB (8GB X 2 + 4GB X 1) Corsair Vengeance DDR3 1600 MHz
  • Corsair A50 air cooler  NZXT X61
  • Crucial MX500 1TB SSD + SanDisk Ultra II 240GB SSD + WD Caviar Black 1TB HDD + Kingston V300 120GB SSD [non-gimped version]
  • Antec New TruePower 550W EVGA G2 650W + White CableMod cables
  • Cooler Master HAF 912 White NZXT S340 Elite w/ white LED stips

AMD 990FX Rig (Decommissioned)

• FX-8350 @ 4.8 / 4.9 GHz (given up on the 5.0 / 5.1 GHz attempt)
  • ASUS ROG Crosshair V Formula 990FX
  • 12 GB (4 GB X 3) G.Skill RipJawsX DDR3 @ 1866 MHz
  • Sapphire Vapor-X HD 7970 + Sapphire Dual-X HD 7970 in Crossfire  Sapphire NITRO R9-Fury in Crossfire *NONE*
  • Thermaltake Frio w/ Cooler Master JetFlo's in push-pull
  • Samsung 850 EVO 500GB SSD + Kingston V300 120GB SSD + WD Caviar Black 1TB HDD
  • Corsair TX850 (ver.1)
  • Cooler Master HAF 932

<> Electrical Engineer , B.Eng <>

<> Electronics & Computer Engineering Technologist (Diploma + Advanced Diploma) <>

<> Electronics Engineering Technician for the Canadian Department of National Defence <>

53 minutes ago, -rascal- said:

The A6-3650 is a first generation AMD APU on the socket FM1 platform -- in other words, a ~2012 chip.

I used to own an A6-3670K (unlocked multiplier version of the A6-3650).

When you install a graphics card (GTX 1050Ti) into the PCI-Express slot, the motherboard should automatically disable the iGPU.

Just make sure you connect the monitor cable to the back of the GTX 1050Ti, and NOT to the back of the motherboard.

You may need to uninstall the graphics drivers first before install the nVIDIA dirvers for the GTX 1050Ti.

When you do so, select CUSTOM uninstallation.

The motherboard's Southbridge chipset drivers (SMBus Drivers) are usually included in the graphics driver package.

As @Dabombinable mentioned, it may be a good idea to give that A6-3650 an overclock if possible to relieve from bottleneck.

Those chips come stock at 2.6 GHz...and a very mediocre stock heatsink (all aluminum, no copper core or heatpipes).

You should be able to pull 2.8 GHz ~ 3.0 GHz with the stock cooler...and 3.2+ GHz if cooling is better.

At the time, I had the A6-3670K (stock 2.7 GHz) overclock to 3.2 GHz / 3.4 GHz, Gigabyte GA-A75-D3H motherboard, with a Radeon HD 7950 (Same HD 7950 in my Z97 Intel system -- shown in my signature), AND there WAS definitely some bottleneck with even CS:GO. FPS wise, if I recall correctly, it was still above ~100 FPS, but it was certainly not getting the 250+ FPS my i5-4690K gets.

There are Athlon II X4 6** that could be used as upgrades, but with the fastest being 3GHz, its kind of pointless. On the plus side, they are based on K10-just shrunk down to 32nm, so they don't TDP throttle or have issues performance the way Bulldozer and later APU do (A8 4555M suuuuck compared to anything K10 based).

"We also blind small animals with cosmetics.
We do not sell cosmetics. We just blind animals."

"Please don't mistake us for Equifax. Those fuckers are evil"

This PSA brought to you by Equifacks.
PMSL