No plans for Civ 6 to show up on consoles

https://mic.com/articles/158227/is-civ-6-coming-to-xbox-one-and-playstation-4-ps4-not-likely-and-heres-why#.RldjjgHsH

While the announcement is probably not news, the article tries to explain why: the interface is too complicated for consoles

I call BS, for a few reasons:

• Square Enix managed to make an MMO with a good amount of depth in its game mechanics to work with a controller. In fact, I think it makes more sense at times.
  • What's complicated about the UI that makes it "too hard" for controllers? The choices you make are menu based, which for smaller menus can be mapped into hot keys.
    • On that note, even RTS games with their menus have hot keys for increasing the command throughput.
  • Civ is a turned based game, so it's not like the issues of needing to quickly select units and make snap decisions is necessary here which keeps RTS games off consoles.

I'd buy the excuse the game is too hard on CPUs to complete a turn in a reasonable amount of time more so than a "too complicated an interface."

Have you not played Civ before?

The interface is definitely too complicated, it would take forever to play a game, don't even get me started on how long it would take waiting for players to take turns in multiplayer; the amount of time it would take to do stuff with a controller compared to a keyboard and mouse is just way to big, and playing multiplayer would significantly amplify this time to times that are incredibly unreasonably.

Gaming - Ryzen 5800X3D | 64GB 3200mhz  MSI 6900 XT Mini-ITX SFF Build

Home Server (Unraid OS) - Ryzen 2700x | 48GB 3200mhz |  EVGA 1060 6GB | 6TB SSD Cache [3x2TB] 66TB HDD [11x6TB]

LOL, civ's interface is waaaaay too complicated to navigate without a mouse and keyboard. Even the steam controller with custom mappings feels janky as hell for civ.

Now when kb+m support comes to the Xbone, that will pave the way for these types of games on console, but I would imagine that the processing time would suck unless Microsoft brings their Azure cloud computing into it.....hmmmm

When in doubt, re-format.

Wasnt There a civ game on the console though?

Windows 10 Edu | Asus ROG Strix X570-F Gaming | Ryzen 9 3950x | 4x 16GB G.Skill Trident Z RGB| ROG Strix GeForce® RTX 2080 SUPER™ Advanced edition | Samsung 980 PRO 500GB + Samsung 970 Evo Plus 2TB + 8TB Seagate Barracuda | EVGA Supernova 650 G2 | Alienware AW3418DW + LG 34uc87c + Dell u3419w | Asus Zephyrus G14

The interface is definitely too complicated, it would take forever to play a game, don't even get me started on how long it would take waiting for players to take turns in multiplayer; the amount of time it would take to do stuff with a controller compared to a keyboard and mouse is just way to big.

I don't see how it's too complicated to be used with a controller.

Selecting units? You can map that to the bumper buttons to cycle through them. The game automatically selects units and cities that need to be tended to anyway.

Selecting what to build in a city? It's a menu interface. If you find one list too long, group it into tabs and use the bumper buttons (or left/right) to switch between them

Selecting a technology, social idoleogy, etc? That's also a menu interface.

Commanding units? Just like any other strategy game: select them, default action is to move them, select them again to bring up the command menu (or hot key it).

I mean, maybe if you need to micromanage every aspect of your units, but as long as things are consistent, with a controller you can probably get button presses down fast to access something. It's like how I can launch a program in my start menu by pressing Windows key, the first few letters of the program, and enter.

9 minutes ago, pwn_intended said:

LOL, civ's interface is waaaaay too complicated to navigate without a mouse and keyboard. Even the steam controller with custom mappings feels janky as hell for civ.

Now when kb+m support comes to the Xbone, that will pave the way for these types of games on console, but I would imagine that the processing time would suck unless Microsoft brings their Azure cloud computing into it.....hmmmm

The Steam Controller deal is trying to make a controller emulate a keyboard and mouse, which is a terrible hack.

EDIT: There are consoles strategy games that are just menus on menus on menus. Like any reasonably complex SRPG.

9 minutes ago, M.Yurizaki said:

-snip-

The way that the civ UI currently is, it would be totally unusable with a controller. I'm sure firaxis COULD create a totally new menu system for console, but then that would require them to make 2 games.

Making one "universal" UI would just alienate the long time fans of the civ series.

When in doubt, re-format.

27 minutes ago, M.Yurizaki said:

• Civ is a turned based game, so it's not like the issues of needing to quickly select units and make snap decisions is necessary here which keeps RTS games off consoles.

CIV has a turn timer for multiplayer and its pretty strict sometimes, especially when set to dynamic(which it never should because its trash)

I spent $2500 on building my PC and all i do with it is play no games atm & watch anime at 1080p(finally) watch YT and write essays...  nothing, it just sits there collecting dust...

Builds:

The Toaster Project! Northern Bee!

The original LAN PC build log! (Old, dead and replaced by The Toaster Project & 5.0)

Spoiler

"Here is some advice that might have gotten lost somewhere along the way in your life. 

#1. Treat others as you would like to be treated.

#2. It's best to keep your mouth shut; and appear to be stupid, rather than open it and remove all doubt.

#3. There is nothing "wrong" with being wrong. Learning from a mistake can be more valuable than not making one in the first place.

Follow these simple rules in life, and I promise you, things magically get easier. " - MageTank 31-10-2016

5 minutes ago, pwn_intended said:

The way that the civ UI currently is, it would be totally unusable with a controller. I'm sure firaxis COULD create a totally new menu system for console, but then that would require them to make 2 games.

Sure, because the UI was designed with a keyboard and mouse in mind. People are upset that Skyrim's UI is designed with a controller in mind. I find playing third person games on PC cumbersome because their more suitable for the finer movements an analog stick can provide over eight directions of the WASD. Ditto with racing games.

But would that require them to make two games? No. A properly designed program will segregate the front end such that you can plop any front end and the program wouldn't notice. I've made little tools such that it doesn't matter if you use a CLI or a GUI, the business logic does what it's supposed to and it requires no rework to use one interface or the other.

used to play roller coaster tycoon on the Xbox..... that game is entirely menus and clicking. worked just fine. wouldn't have been too hard to find a creative way to bind some keys and make it work.

There's a reason they made a game specifically for consoles. It's too complicated to port over the existing one to consoles.

Clearly it didn't have that strong of a following when the did release it, so why bother making another?

CPU: Ryzen 9 5900 Cooler: EVGA CLC280 Motherboard: Gigabyte B550i Pro AX RAM: Kingston Hyper X 32GB 3200mhz

Storage: WD 750 SE 500GB, WD 730 SE 1TB GPU: EVGA RTX 3070 Ti PSU: Corsair SF750 Case: Streacom DA2

Monitor: LG 27GL83B Mouse: Razer Basilisk V2 Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red Speakers: Mackie CR5BT

MiniPC - Sold for $100 Profit

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i3 4160 Cooler: Integrated Motherboard: Integrated

RAM: G.Skill RipJaws 16GB DDR3 Storage: Transcend MSA370 128GB GPU: Intel 4400 Graphics

PSU: Integrated Case: Shuttle XPC Slim

Monitor: LG 29WK500 Mouse: G.Skill MX780 Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red

Budget Rig 1 - Sold For $750 Profit

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i5 7600k Cooler: CryOrig H7 Motherboard: MSI Z270 M5

RAM: Crucial LPX 16GB DDR4 Storage: Intel S3510 800GB GPU: Nvidia GTX 980

PSU: Corsair CX650M Case: EVGA DG73

Monitor: LG 29WK500 Mouse: G.Skill MX780 Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red

OG Gaming Rig - Gone

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i5 4690k Cooler: Corsair H100i V2 Motherboard: MSI Z97i AC ITX

RAM: Crucial Ballistix 16GB DDR3 Storage: Kingston Fury 240GB GPU: Asus Strix GTX 970

PSU: Thermaltake TR2 Case: Phanteks Enthoo Evolv ITX

Monitor: Dell P2214H x2 Mouse: Logitech MX Master Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red

Maybe it would be better to show an example of what can be done to make the interface more controller friendly:

maxresdefault.jpg

Let's go from top to bottom, left to right:

• The "HELP" button can be shuffled in the "system" menu. Or have a hot key.
  • "RETURN" is redundant.
  • The city name has arrows for switching between other cities. You can map this to the bumper buttons to do the same thing.
  • The "Edit" city name button can be put into something like a city options menu as another button.
  • The production focus can be shuffled in a city options menu. Plus I would condense the options into a drop down menu or select then press left-right menu.
  • The rest of the stuff on the right is just info. If anything you can scroll this using the right joystick if you really wanna see this.
  • "Purchase" and "Change Production" can fit in a column of buttons with the "Buy a Tile" and "Return to Map" buttons.
  • Queuing up builds can be managed when you go to the production menu.

Civ's interface problem, if you were to call it that, is that things are spread out in lots of places. You can rearrange them for easier navigation without making things confusing.

The thing with Civ though is it throws out a ton of information, a lot of which I don't care about. I don't care about the right pane (late game especially), I already know what most of the units do, etc. I mean, maybe this info is useful for tourney level players, but I don't play Civ with that level of depth.