What does "up to 100mbps" mean?

Chaicho

I'm browsing through spectrum's internet packages and it says "up to" 100 mbps. Is it a stable internet for gaming? And why is cheaper to buy a bundle than a package alone. For instance Internet alone is 39.99 and the Triple play is 30 with the same internet speed plus Tv and Phone service. And is it a stable internet for gaming?

2 minutes ago, Chaicho said:

I'm browsing through spectrum's internet packages and it says "up to" 100 mbps. Is it a stable internet for gaming? And why is cheaper to buy a bundle than a package alone. For instance Internet alone is 39.99 and the Triple play is 30 with the same internet speed plus Tv and Phone service. 

Means youre not guaranteed those top speeds at all times and because most isps make the most money on tv and phone +add ons

Windows 10 Edu | Asus ROG Strix X570-F Gaming | Ryzen 9 3950x | 4x 16GB G.Skill Trident Z RGB| ROG Strix GeForce® RTX 2080 SUPER™ Advanced edition | Samsung 980 PRO 500GB + Samsung 970 Evo Plus 2TB + 8TB Seagate Barracuda | EVGA Supernova 650 G2 | Alienware AW3418DW + LG 34uc87c + Dell u3419w | Asus Zephyrus G14

It means they aren't guaranteeing you will always get 100mbps. For example I get "up to 150mbps download" but in reality its usually working in the 110-120mbps range, sometimes hitting 130-140mbps.

Fancy wording to cover them from having to make sure you always have 100mbps and you can't complain.

Gaming - Ryzen 5800X3D | 64GB 3200mhz  MSI 6900 XT Mini-ITX SFF Build

Home Server (Unraid OS) - Ryzen 2700x | 48GB 3200mhz |  EVGA 1060 6GB | 6TB SSD Cache [3x2TB] 66TB HDD [11x6TB]

Bundle is to get you to buy it all. TWC aka Spectrum their internet is usually at stable speeds. I've personally only had one issue with them.

i7-6700k  Cooling: Deepcool Captain 240EX White GPU: GTX 1080Ti EVGA FTW3 Mobo: AsRock Z170 Extreme4 Case: Phanteks P400s TG Special Black/White PSU: EVGA 850w GQ Ram: 64GB (3200Mhz 16x4 Corsair Vengeance RGB) Storage 1x 1TB Seagate Barracuda 240GBSandisk SSDPlus, 480GB OCZ Trion 150, 1TB Crucial NVMe
(Rest of Specs on Profile)

1 minute ago, Scruffy90 said:

Means youre not guaranteed those top speeds at all times and because most isps make the most money on tv and phone +add ons

Oh, i understand. But what about my other question about why its cheaper to bundle instead of getting a single service. And thanks xD

In the most optimal conditions you can get (and you won't) you would have a steady 100mbps connection. 

You get this speed but because you cant have the perfect conditions you wont always have 100mbps

At least were not paying for 30/5, getting 32/6, then switched to 50/5...... Then get 32/6... even after a few phone calls...

Funnier thing is, they offered 100/10 for a short time around here, then turned around and said the lines couldn't handle it...

It means that you will never be able to download at those speeds.

The end.

Always use ethernet for gaming. 

AMD FX 6300 @ 4.6 Ghz CRYORIG H7 Asus M5A97 PLUS | HyperX Fury 8 GB DDR3 | PNY CS1311 120gb SSD WD Blue 1TB 7200 RPM EVGA GeForce GTX 950 Superclocked NZXT Source 210 Black EVGA 500B Logitech G Pro HP K3500 Wireless Keyboard |

It means you can get up to 100Mbps with your internet ^^ I can get up to 200Mbit and i get 204Mbit

2 minutes ago, Chaicho said:

Oh, i understand. But what about my other question about why its cheaper to bundle instead of getting a single service. And thanks xD

I did answer the second question. Most isps make the most money on tv and home phone and add ons. Remember, most isps were cable providers first. They also stand the most to lose if customers go from a cable subscription to an online service like netflix. 

Windows 10 Edu | Asus ROG Strix X570-F Gaming | Ryzen 9 3950x | 4x 16GB G.Skill Trident Z RGB| ROG Strix GeForce® RTX 2080 SUPER™ Advanced edition | Samsung 980 PRO 500GB + Samsung 970 Evo Plus 2TB + 8TB Seagate Barracuda | EVGA Supernova 650 G2 | Alienware AW3418DW + LG 34uc87c + Dell u3419w | Asus Zephyrus G14

Just now, Scruffy90 said:

I did answer the second question. Most isps make the most money on tv and home phone and add ons. Remember, most isps were cable providers first. They also stand the most to lose if customers go from a cable subscription to an online service like netflix. 

Oh got it xD, Thanks bro.

The reason the bundles are cheaper is because they are generally a "deal" for a certain amount of time. After a few months or a year, the bundle will shoot up to much more than the internet alone.

1 minute ago, corrado33 said:

The reason the bundles are cheaper is because they are generally a "deal" for a certain amount of time. After a few months or a year, the bundle will shoot up to much more than the internet alone.

But it is possible to cancel the service with such time using it right?

Just now, Chaicho said:

But it is possible to cancel the service with such time using it right?

Generally, yes. But you'll never get that deal again. It's generally tied to the person/address.

Just now, corrado33 said:

Generally, yes. But you'll never get that deal again. It's generally tied to the person/address.

Oh, got it. Thank you 

10 minutes ago, Chaicho said:

Bundles are what you call "Convergence networks". This ties multiple networks on a single media which allows you get internet, TV, and/or Phone for alot cheaper than running a single media seperate from the others.

nowadays when they build a house, they install everything needed to run convergent networks, but the bundle discount is a gimmick anymore.

the convergent networks use multiplexing.

CPU: Pentium G3258 @ 3.2GHz || GPU:(first release,used) MSI R9 270 OC || Motherboard:MSI Z97-G45 Gaming Motherboard || RAM: 8 GB G.Skill Sniper 1600 || Monitors: Vizio 22 in Ultra slim 1080p TV || Storage: Seagate barracuda 160 GB 7200RPM,(REFURB) 1TB toshiba 7200RPM || PSU: (stripped from 2013 CAD PC)Corsair CX600 build was under $420

BE SURE TO FOLLOW YOUR THREADS! READ THIS BEFORE POSTING IN TROUBLESHOOTING!! http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/40334-read-before-asking-for-help/

4 minutes ago, corrado33 said:

Thats the reality nowadays, but initially it is because of my post after yours.

CPU: Pentium G3258 @ 3.2GHz || GPU:(first release,used) MSI R9 270 OC || Motherboard:MSI Z97-G45 Gaming Motherboard || RAM: 8 GB G.Skill Sniper 1600 || Monitors: Vizio 22 in Ultra slim 1080p TV || Storage: Seagate barracuda 160 GB 7200RPM,(REFURB) 1TB toshiba 7200RPM || PSU: (stripped from 2013 CAD PC)Corsair CX600 build was under $420

BE SURE TO FOLLOW YOUR THREADS! READ THIS BEFORE POSTING IN TROUBLESHOOTING!! http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/40334-read-before-asking-for-help/

How would I know it my house is wired for spectrum service? My dad and I live in the same house and he has TMC on his tv if that helps.