FX-8320E bottlenecking a RX480?

Hey guys,

my brother just got himself a Sapphire Nitro RX480 (4gb) and it performs quite well. However, he is experiencing heavy framedrops (from >60 to ~20fps for a couple seconds), especially in open world titels. Is this because the CPU is a bottleneck and would overclocking it help? (It's at stock now, with a BeQuiet Pure Rock)

Thanks for your help :)

To check:https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=n6qAoDquTgo

My fx-8320 (non e) and r9 380 barely bottleneck, so I would expect that yours would be.

3 minutes ago, EminentSun said:

To check:https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=n6qAoDquTgo

My fx-8320 (non e) and r9 380 barely bottleneck, so I would expect that yours would be.

But a RX480 has the power of a 390/390X so...ermm...how to break it to you? :D 

Looking at my signature are we now? Well too bad there's nothing here...

What? As I said, there seriously is nothing here :) 

a non OC'd 8320e will bottleneck a 480 in many circumstances. 

17 minutes ago, Mobby Dick said:

Hey guys,

my brother just got himself a Sapphire Nitro RX480 (4gb) and it performs quite well. However, he is experiencing heavy framedrops (from >60 to ~20fps for a couple seconds), especially in open world titels. Is this because the CPU is a bottleneck and would overclocking it help? (It's at stock now, with a BeQuiet Pure Rock)

I wouldn't be surprised if the 8320E is limiting you when a strong core is required, specially if it's not literally one (in that case it could boost to 4.0GHz, but if there is something else to run in the background or the game is using two threads, you are back to 3-ish).

If your motherboard has good VRMs and good cooling for them, you can probably push that chip and see some improvements (I never had that chip, but I have overclocked an 8370E just fine). Making sure your RAM is running at the ir rated speed (load XMP in BIOS) could also help. In some games, though even a 9370 (hence, an OC up to 4.4GHz in all cores) may still hold you back in specific CPU-intensive situations.

11 minutes ago, SpaceGhostC2C said:

I wouldn't be surprised if the 8320E is limiting you when a strong core is required, specially if it's not literally one (in that case it could boost to 4.0GHz, but if there is something else to run in the background or the game is using two threads, you are back to 3-ish).

If your motherboard has good VRMs and good cooling for them, you can probably push that chip and see some improvements (I never had that chip, but I have overclocked an 8370E just fine). Making sure your RAM is running at the ir rated speed (load XMP in BIOS) could also help. In some games, though even a 9370 (hence, an OC up to 4.4GHz in all cores) may still hold you back in specific CPU-intensive situations.

The motherboard is crap to be honest, the PC was once a pre-built system of which just the PSU, CPU and mobo survived. So not that much potential ^^ But I will try what this thing is capable of :) 

34 minutes ago, Mobby Dick said:

Hey guys,

Need more info, is the cpu at 100% gpu at 100%, ram usage, hdd usage at the times of the drops.

It should be a bottleneck though unless you are playing games which require only a single core.

•E5-2670 @2.7GHz • Intel DX79SI • EVGA 970 SSC• GSkill Sniper 8Gb ddr3 • Corsair Spec 02 • Corsair RM750 • HyperX 120Gb SSD • Hitachi 2Tb HDD •

3 hours ago, Mobby Dick said:

The motherboard is crap to be honest, the PC was once a pre-built system of which just the PSU, CPU and mobo survived. So not that much potential ^^ But I will try what this thing is capable of :) 

unless you have a replacement machine standing by...i wouldn't risk it then...at least don't overvolt the CPU...especially if you have a cheap motherboard and powersupply...you'll blow it up!

| CPU: Core i7-8700K @ 4.89ghz - 1.21v  Motherboard: Asus ROG STRIX Z370-E GAMING  CPU Cooler: Corsair H100i V2 |
| GPU: MSI RTX 3080Ti Ventus 3X OC  RAM: 32GB T-Force Delta RGB 3066mhz |
| Displays: Acer Predator XB270HU 1440p Gsync 144hz IPS Gaming monitor | Oculus Quest 2 VR

12 hours ago, i_build_nanosuits said:

unless you have a replacement machine standing by...i wouldn't risk it then...at least don't overvolt the CPU...especially if you have a cheap motherboard and powersupply...you'll blow it up!

OK thanks for your advice. But pushing it a little without increasing the voltage is fine?

1 hour ago, Mobby Dick said:

OK thanks for your advice. But pushing it a little without increasing the voltage is fine?

yes. 

monitor temps. but it also won't help much at all.