n00b question for the experts

Hi everyone!

Long time reader, first time post...er.

Disclaimer: Please excuse all ignorance below as I am a certifiable noobie when it comes to the technical signal stuff.

What I'm using:

So... thinking about adding a second monitor to the mix. I currently play around with a BenQ RL2460HT that I use for both PC Gaming, and yes wait for it... console gaming (I know, the horror). I will use the 2nd monitor primarily for work (Sim softwares such as SAS, large excel spreads etc) , productivity, movies, and if supported, a few games here or there.

BenQ RL2460HT (relevant) connectivity ports:

2xHDMI in

1xHDMI out (for capture card)

1xD-sub

Though I plan on tossing a few G's to build up a custom gaming rig when my living situation is more suitable, In the mean time, I'm currently run the awesomely valued Dell Inspiron 7559 with an i7-6700, 16GB RAM, and GTX 960m 4GB (and Intel HD 530).

Inspiron 7559 (relevant) connectivity ports:

1xHDMI 1.4a

What I want:

I found a superb deal on the Dell u2913WM 2560x1080 ultrawide (obviously right?) monitor, which offers the following connectivity ports:

Dell u2913WM (relevant) connectivity ports:

1xHDMI 1.4

1xDP Mini Input

1xDP Output (MST)

1xDP 1.2

1xD-sub

So...is there a question you wanted to ask?:

Oh right, yeah there is.

K... One more set of things I think is important to know before the question. Bear with me.

So, I have a couple different scenarios that I would like to use this setup with:

1. PC connected to both monitors to extend display for productivity applications on 2913, and maybe my emails, music or something else that also isn't taxing on resources on the 2460.

(OCD buddies get ready for this one)

2.0 PC connected to just 2913 for maybe a more taxing gaming session that supports 21:9, BUT without a cable hanging limply (imagery) from the 2460.

2.1 PC connected to just 2460 for FPS games, BUT without a cable hanging, also limply (imageryx2) from the 2913.

Bum budahbummmmmm. The question finally has arrived.

TL;DR: Question:

How do I do dis?

(while allowing for 2560x1080 (21:9) on the 2913, and 1920x1080 (16:9) on the 2460 while taking advantage of the best performance possible of each monitor)

A couple solutions I thought of for you to debunk:

1. I have an hdmi cable coming from the PC to the 2913, then a displayport to hdmi cable going to the 2460. (would there be major lag on the BenQ? (ideal solution)

2. I have an hdmi splitter of sorts (I've heard these never work the way people expect them to) that goes from the PC to 2 hdmi cables, one to each monitor. To my best knowledge, this would mirror only correct? Or on some types, it would even only allow one monitor to be connected at a time?

3. I lose my dreamy attitude, and understand that I need to stop being a lil b*tch and just let one hang limply for scenario's 2.0 and 2.1.

4. Drop a big ol' chunk for one of these bad boyz  and get errythin' I could ever need? http://www.dell.com/en-us/shop/accessories/apd/452-bbpg?sku=452-BBPG

Please make suggestions for less wallet onslaught inducing options.

Again:

How do I do dis?

Cheers and Happy Halloween!

Edit: Don't worry about futureproofing. Going to be selling and purchasing an entire new setup in about 18 months.

pumpkin-and-black-cat.gif

Edited by PeaPodHD
Typical, forgot to say something.

I'm having trouble visualizing why you would need to disconnect the PC from one monitor or the other at all. When the desktop gets extended, both displays are treated separately* where windows will maximize and snap to within the boundaries of each, and games will run fullscreen on one or the other, not both. At any rate, Windows makes it pretty easy to extend the desktop via the display properties dialogue, if it doesn't automatically extend when you plug in the second display.

As for your other questions:

1. No. There shouldn't be any lag between HDMI and DisplayPort, and if there is, it's most likely either a cable issue or a monitor issue.
  2. Correct. HDMI splitters will either:
    1. Mirror one source to multiple displays
    2. Actually be an HDMI switch, in which case it allows multiple sources to output to one display
  3. Still not sure why you'd need to let one hang limp.
  4. Ehhhhhhh. If you're that concerned about switching between your consoles and your monitors, you might want to look into doing what I did and pick up a Razer Ripsaw or AverMedia LGX, assuming you've got USB 3.0 ports available. Lagless in my experience and both lets you record and play on your computer without switching inputs.
    1. Not only that, but that docking station isn't going to be connected to your GPU, so it'll be pretty worthless for a desktop PC.

* - Unless you're using EyeFinity or NVidia Surround, but that's a whole other kettle of fish

1 minute ago, Runefox said:

I'm having trouble visualizing why you would need to disconnect the PC from one monitor or the other at all. When the desktop gets extended, both displays are treated separately* where windows will maximize and snap to within the boundaries of each, and games will run fullscreen on one or the other, not both. At any rate, Windows makes it pretty easy to extend the desktop via the display properties dialogue, if it doesn't automatically extend when you plug in the second display.

As for your other questions:

1. No. There shouldn't be any lag between HDMI and DisplayPort, and if there is, it's most likely either a cable issue or a monitor issue.
  2. Correct. HDMI splitters will either:
    1. Mirror one source to multiple displays
    2. Actually be an HDMI switch, in which case it allows multiple sources to output to one display
  3. Still not sure why you'd need to let one hang limp.
  4. Ehhhhhhh. If you're that concerned about switching between your consoles and your monitors, you might want to look into doing what I did and pick up a Razer Ripsaw or AverMedia LGX, assuming you've got USB 3.0 ports available. Lagless in my experience and both lets you record and play on your computer without switching inputs.
    1. Not only that, but that docking station isn't going to be connected to your GPU, so it'll be pretty worthless for a desktop PC.

* - Unless you're using EyeFinity or NVidia Surround, but that's a whole other kettle of fish

Thanks for the response!

So looks like if all is sound, I can just go from the PC's HDMI out, to the HDMI in on the 2913, then a 2913 displayport output, to hdmi input on the 2460? Say I wanted to play CS:GO at the best rates the 2460/my gpu could handle, it wouldn't lag because it has to first go through the first monitor? 

The limpness came from the visualization of having two different hdmi cables coming from each monitor, and just plugging the one in to the laptop that I am using at that time. I guess I could do the displayport option when needing both, and then just have an hdmi ready for the benq if there was infact lag by passing through the first monitor? That way I would just cut it out entirely for the time being.

Thoughts?

1 minute ago, PeaPodHD said:

Thanks for the response!

So looks like if all is sound, I can just go from the PC's HDMI out, to the HDMI in on the 2913, then a 2913 displayport output, to hdmi input on the 2460? Say I wanted to play CS:GO at the best rates the 2460/my gpu could handle, it wouldn't lag because it has to first go through the first monitor? 

The limpness came from the visualization of having two different hdmi cables coming from each monitor, and just plugging the one in to the laptop that I am using at that time. I guess I could do the displayport option when needing both, and then just have an hdmi ready for the benq if there was infact lag by passing through the first monitor? That way I would just cut it out entirely for the time being.

Thoughts?

I'm not sure it'll work that way exactly, since DisplayPort daisy chaining generally works by going from the PC to the first display via DisplayPort, and from there whether or not it'll let the second display be on a DP->HDMI adapter is not clear to me. Does your laptop have a DisplayPort output at all? I'm assuming since you've mentioned the laptop, you're not going to be connecting this up via a desktop (which would easily have enough outputs to drive both monitors).

Just now, Runefox said:

I'm not sure it'll work that way exactly, since DisplayPort daisy chaining generally works by going from the PC to the first display via DisplayPort, and from there whether or not it'll let the second display be on a DP->HDMI adapter is not clear to me. Does your laptop have a DisplayPort output at all? I'm assuming since you've mentioned the laptop, you're not going to be connecting this up via a desktop (which would easily have enough outputs to drive both monitors).

Unfortunately, it is from a laptop which only has one HDMI output. :$

NEED MO PORTS.

3 minutes ago, PeaPodHD said:

Unfortunately, it is from a laptop which only has one HDMI output. :$

NEED MO PORTS.

Sadly, in that case, the only way you'll be able to use both displays at once would be to use a USB adapter, which means you'd be running the display it's connected to at very low performance (no gaming, but spreadsheets will work). There isn't any way to run multiple monitors from a single HDMI port the way a DisplayPort can; DisplayPort supports it via MST, true, but it has to be DisplayPort from the PC onwards, since it needs to be able to handle communicating with both displays, and HDMI doesn't allow for that.

I doubt that Dell only has a single HDMI.

edit

I see what Dell did, them bastards! :P

Intel Xeon E5 1650 v3 @ 3.5GHz 6C:12T / CM212 Evo / Asus X99 Deluxe / 16GB (4x4GB) DDR4 3000 Trident-Z / Samsung 850 Pro 256GB / Intel 335 240GB / WD Red 2 & 3TB / Antec 850w / RTX 2070 / Win10 Pro x64

HP Envy X360 15: Intel Core i5 8250U @ 1.6GHz 4C:8T / 8GB DDR4 / Intel UHD620 + Nvidia GeForce MX150 4GB / Intel 120GB SSD / Win10 Pro x64

HP Envy x360 BP series Intel 8th gen

AMD ThreadRipper 2!

5820K & 6800K 3-way SLI mobo support list

3 minutes ago, Runefox said:

Sadly, in that case, the only way you'll be able to use both displays at once would be to use a USB adapter, which means you'd be running the display it's connected to at very low performance (no gaming, but spreadsheets will work). There isn't any way to run multiple monitors from a single HDMI port the way a DisplayPort can; DisplayPort supports it via MST, true, but it has to be DisplayPort from the PC onwards, since it needs to be able to handle communicating with both displays, and HDMI doesn't allow for that.

I GUESS I can make do with the whole having a cable ready for each one and using one at a time.

1st world problem 10/10.

Thanks for all of your help and expertise. Much appreciated Runefox.

Just now, PeaPodHD said:

I GUESS I can make do with the whole having a cable ready for each one and using one at a time.

1st world problem 10/10.

Thanks for all of your help and expertise. Much appreciated Runefox.

Well, you could always get a USB to HDMI adapter like I said, just expect whichever display it's connected to not to be very good at running anything that requires GPU acceleration. Either way, glad I could shed some light on the subject!