Hey guys so I'm upgrading my PC the specs of which are:

FX-8350 w/ hyper 212 evo

12gb ddr3 1866

120 ssd (boot drive)

1tb (mass storage)

Corsair 600 watt psu

and of course a

GeForce GTX 650 2gb 

What should I upgrade first or is it even worth upgrading my computer who should I just build a new one from scratch. I have an okay budget but unsure of how much.

Well... If you dont think u need a new cpu then upgrade your gpu. If you need extra cpu power upgrade that later down the line.

I5 4440//8gb Corsair Vengeance ddr3//Sapphire Radeon r9 380 4gb//ASUS h81m-plus//WD caviar blue 1tb//Cooler Master N200//Cooler Master G500

Yeah I was gonna upgrade my gpu I was gonna get a 1080 I know the 8350 will bottleneck it but not enough to bother me I only do 1080p 60fps (goals) but I'm trying to see if the 8350 is even worth it or if I should just do a new build from scratch.

1 minute ago, nerdslayer1 said:

get a new gpu depends on the games you play a 1070 or a 1060 should do it 

I wanna play battlefield 1 and like all the new titles and good stuff at 60fps 1080p

2 minutes ago, Mavixuz said:

Yeah I was gonna upgrade my gpu I was gonna get a 1080 I know the 8350 will bottleneck it but not enough to bother me I only do 1080p 60fps (goals) but I'm trying to see if the 8350 is even worth it or if I should just do a new build from scratch.

Well, a 1080 for 1080p is just overkill. Get an rx 480 or the gtx 1060 6gb for 1080p. The gtx 1080 makes no sense for 1080p gaming..

I5 4440//8gb Corsair Vengeance ddr3//Sapphire Radeon r9 380 4gb//ASUS h81m-plus//WD caviar blue 1tb//Cooler Master N200//Cooler Master G500

Just now, Mavixuz said:

I wanna play battlefield 1 and like all the new titles and good stuff at 60fps 1080p

if you want to record get a 1060 it has shadow play but if you want future proof and add another gfx if the future get a 1070 

True but I'm also hoping to jump into vr soon so the 1080 gives me the room to jump into that when I want to hopefully with the vive.

1 minute ago, thebrownieguy said:

Well, a 1080 for 1080p is just overkill. Get an rx 480 or the gtx 10 6gb for 1080p. The gtx 1080 makes no sense for 1080p gaming..

I've been doing youtube gaming for about a year know on an fx-8320 and an r9 380. AMD's advanced media framework is great for recording, I can fo 1080 60fps recording in just about any game (also heard great things about nvec though I've never used it). You will probably see the most benifit going to an Rx 470, which is a more powerful version of my r9 380.

Just now, EminentSun said:

I've been doing youtube gaming for about a year know on an fx-8320 and an r9 380. AMD's advanced media framework is great for recording, I can fo 1080 60fps recording in just about any game (also heard great things about nvec though I've never used it). You will probably see the most benifit going to an Rx 470, which is a more powerful version of my r9 380.

he said he wanted vr and so 470 is not a contender at least get a 480 also get a cpu upgrade if you have in your budget a i5 or a i7 

6 minutes ago, Mavixuz said:

I would get 1070 and some intel 6600k instead

So rebuild from scratch then might as well right? Because if I upgrade my cpu and switch to intel I'll have to get a new mobo so new ram and a new cpu and gpu i might as well do a scratch build right?

19 minutes ago, Mavixuz said:

FX-8350 w/ hyper 212 evo

12gb ddr3 1866

120 ssd (boot drive)

1tb (mass storage)

Corsair 600 watt psu

and of course a

GeForce GTX 650 2gb 

What should I upgrade first or is it even worth upgrading my computer who should I just build a new one from scratch. I have an okay budget but unsure of how much.

budget???

"Sulit" (adj.) something that is worth it

i7 8700K 4.8Ghz delidded / Corsair H100i V2 / Asus Strix Z370-F / G.Skill Trident Z RGB 16GB 3200 / EVGA GTX 1080Ti FTW3 / ASUS ROG SWIFT PG279Q

Samsung 850 EVO 500GB & 250GB - Crucial MX300 M.2 525GB / Fractal Design Define S / Corsair K70 MX Reds / Logitech G502 / Beyerdynamic DT770 250Ohm

SMSL SD793II AMP/DAC - Schiit Magni 3 / PCPP

Old Rig

i5 2500k 4.5Ghz | Gigabyte Z68XP-UD3P | Zotac GTX 980 AMP! Extreme | Crucial Ballistix Tactical 16GB 1866MHz

8 minutes ago, Mavixuz said:

True but I'm also hoping to jump into vr soon so the 1080 gives me the room to jump into that when I want to hopefully with the vive.

Trust me (and the others who are saying the same thing), a gtx 1080 is overkill. Your CPU is very underwhelming, so your better off just doing a new build from the ground up. Of course, you can reuse some parts from your current build, namely storage and case, but your PSU, Mobo, RAM, CPU, and Gpu should be replaced.

******If you paste in text into your post, please click the "remove formatting" button for night theme users.******

CPU- Intel 6700k OC to 4.69 Ghz GPU- NVidia Geforce GTX 970 (MSI) RAM- 16gb DDR4 2400 SSD-2x500gb samsung 850 EVO(SATA) Raid 0 HDD- 2tb Seagate Case- H440 Red w/ custom lighting Motherboard - MSI Z170 Gaming A OS- Windows 10 Mouse- Razer Naga Epic Chroma, Final Mouse 2016 turney proKeyboard- Corsair k70 Cherry MX brown

Well if i'm building a new system from scratch I might as well build a new system from scratch and keep my current one for rendering or whatever.

2 minutes ago, SeanAngelo said:

budget???

and I don't know what budget yet. It depends on a lot of factors but since everyone is saying rebuild from scratch I'll look into it but probably 1500-2000 but don't hold me to that

24 minutes ago, Mavixuz said:

FX-8350 w/ hyper 212 evo

12gb ddr3 1866

120 ssd (boot drive)

1tb (mass storage)

Corsair 600 watt psu

and of course a

GeForce GTX 650 2gb 

upgrade gpu.

"Sulit" (adj.) something that is worth it

i7 8700K 4.8Ghz delidded / Corsair H100i V2 / Asus Strix Z370-F / G.Skill Trident Z RGB 16GB 3200 / EVGA GTX 1080Ti FTW3 / ASUS ROG SWIFT PG279Q

Samsung 850 EVO 500GB & 250GB - Crucial MX300 M.2 525GB / Fractal Design Define S / Corsair K70 MX Reds / Logitech G502 / Beyerdynamic DT770 250Ohm

SMSL SD793II AMP/DAC - Schiit Magni 3 / PCPP

Old Rig

i5 2500k 4.5Ghz | Gigabyte Z68XP-UD3P | Zotac GTX 980 AMP! Extreme | Crucial Ballistix Tactical 16GB 1866MHz

15 minutes ago, nerdslayer1 said:

get a new gpu depends on the games you play a 1070 or a 1060 should do it 

A 1070 is overkill.

15 minutes ago, Mavixuz said:

A 1080 is a waste of money with a FX 8350. I got a 3770k with a 1080 currently still at 1080p but 144Hz. Trust me, I know what it feels like.

13 minutes ago, Mavixuz said:

In this case a 1060 should still be ok but I have to mention how important CPU power is to maintain stable framerates in VR games. You want 90+fps all the time and a gpu is only as good as it's CPU so I am not sure if you would even see benefits comparing the 1070 to a 1060.

14 minutes ago, EminentSun said:

Architecturally the 470 is nowhere near a derivative of the 380 so don't claim anything like that. Performance wise they might be playing in the same ball park but one is 28nm and the other one is 14nm which is already a huge difference.

14 minutes ago, deXxterlab97 said:

I would get 1070 and some intel 6600k instead

Or wait a litel since Kabylake is just around the corner

10 minutes ago, Mavixuz said:

So rebuild from scratch then might as well right? Because if I upgrade my cpu and switch to intel I'll have to get a new mobo so new ram and a new cpu and gpu i might as well do a scratch build right?

You should reuse what you can. Rebuilding everything is nothing I would advertise. (Unless you have a mobo that doesn't recognize PCIe 3.0 GPUs like my friendos prebuilt ...)

10 minutes ago, bgibbz said:

Trust me (and the others who are saying the same thing), a gtx 1080 is overkill. Your CPU is very underwhelming, so your better off just doing a new build from the ground up. Of course, you can reuse some parts from your current build, namely storage and case, but your PSU, Mobo, RAM, CPU, and Gpu should be replaced.

I 100% agree.

6 minutes ago, SeanAngelo said:

upgrade gpu.

Definitely the first one on the list. The 8350 is not that bad. It just doesn't stack up to what it should for driving high end cards these days but a 650 on the other hand is really underwhelming ...

http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/334934-unofficial-ltt-beginners-guide/ (by Minibois) and a few things that will make our community interaction more pleasent:
1. FOLLOW your own topics                                                                                2.Try to QUOTE people so we can read through things easier
3.Use
PCPARTPICKER.COM - easy and most importantly approved here        4.Mark your topics SOLVED if they are                                
Don't change a running system

46 minutes ago, Mavixuz said:

FX-8350 w/ hyper 212 evo

12gb ddr3 1866

120 ssd (boot drive)

1tb (mass storage)

Corsair 600 watt psu

and of course a

GeForce GTX 650 2gb 

I don't know what your budget is, but a 480 4GB/8GB or 1060 6GB (but not a 3GB, get a 480 instead of that) should be what you're looking for to fit your needs. then maybe a PSU quality upgrade (I'm assuming that is a CX600 green label "builder" series). then your CPU/motherboard/RAM, but for 60 fps gaming and streaming your setup should be okay enough for that.

If the gtx 1080 is overkill can't I get it now and then use it till skybylake (however you spell it) comes out then update the rest of my system?