Advice on Home Network Setup with Ubiquiti AP's?

Go to solution Solved by Unhelpful,
1 minute ago, LongbowX404 said:

So would the setup and configuration be the same on the ER Lite then?

For the most part, yeah. Crosstalk Solutions has a good setup guide, it's pretty simple.

Hey LTT! 

Looking to setup our home network with 2 Ubiquiti AP's to start. I will need something to act as the Router/Firewall.

I have only an entry level knowledge of networking, and had initially considered using a Ubiquiti EdgeRouter X but digging deeper this appears to be a little more advanced than I am capable of doing. Does anyone have any advice on what I can use for this? 

X99 WhoKnowsAnymore
CPU: Intel i7 5930K | Motherboard: MSI X99A Gaming Pro Carbon | GPU: EVGA GTX 1080 Ti Hybrid | 

It should be relatively plug and play. If you can setup the Ubiquiti APs then you can set this up

8 minutes ago, crashahotrod said:

edgerouter X over the ERLite because this has PoE right?
(just curious this is new to me too)

Photography / Finance / Gaming

Only one poe port so it could only run one ap without the power injector. I suggest using the power injectors anyway

6 minutes ago, crashahotrod said:

It should be relatively plug and play. If you can setup the Ubiquiti APs then you can set this up

Okay. My only concern is that with The Wireless Routers I have used in the past all the security has been more or less plug and play. What type of setup should I be expecting if I go with the EdgeRouter, or is it going to be plug and play with that part as well? 

X99 WhoKnowsAnymore
CPU: Intel i7 5930K | Motherboard: MSI X99A Gaming Pro Carbon | GPU: EVGA GTX 1080 Ti Hybrid | 

It should be plug and play but I will need to do some more research. Almost all solutions try to be a closed network and only open ports when you statically configure them or upnp opens them. Ubiquiti tries to make your life easy so I doubt this would not be automatically configured.

This seems to be a good setup video, i have watched most of it. It does by default have a firewall and nat if you follow this guide

1 hour ago, mok said:

edgerouter X over the ERLite because this has PoE right?
(just curious this is new to me too)

Nononononono the ERX is a bag of horse shit.

8 minutes ago, JoeyDM said:

Nononononono the ERX is a bag of horse shit.

Can you elaborate? I'm seeing a lot of good reviews online and the folks here are vouching for it.

X99 WhoKnowsAnymore

4 minutes ago, LongbowX404 said:

Can you elaborate? I'm seeing a lot of good reviews online and the folks here are vouching for it.

They're essentially a switch running a software router, the throughput is drastically lower than the ERLite. They also had a handful of features disabled. It has a lot of limitations in general compared to the ERLite. One person here recommended an X, @mok is self-admittedly new to this.

Here you go: 

@Windspeed36 did I miss anything?

53 minutes ago, JoeyDM said:

They're essentially a switch running a software router, the throughput is drastically lower than the ERLite. They also had a handful of features disabled. It has a lot of limitations in general compared to the ERLite. One person here recommended an X, @mok is self-admittedly new to this.

Here you go: 

X99 WhoKnowsAnymore

1 minute ago, LongbowX404 said:

For the most part, yeah. Crosstalk Solutions has a good setup guide, it's pretty simple.

44 minutes ago, JoeyDM said:

Thank you for the assist!

X99 WhoKnowsAnymore

3 hours ago, JoeyDM said:

Here you go: 

Things have changed a bit since then however fundamentally the ERL is still a much better device. The current issue is that A) the hardware inside the ERX is not capable of what it's being asked to do as they've now added DPI and hardware acceleration into the mix. B) The ERX also has issues with storage in that it becomes difficult to upgrade the firmware due to limited onboard storage to hold the boot images once you get more than 1 or 2 images on there. I think it's like 256 or 512MB of storage versus the 2GB on the ERL.