Can I crossfire two similar cards but with different amount of RAM?

stevena184
Go to solution Solved by helping,

Yes, but 1GB will be actual usable amount of VRAM

The faster card of the two will also downclock to the speed of the slower card. 

Hi everyone, simply put, I have a Radeon XFX 6950 with 1GB DDR5, can I buy the same card but with 2GB of RAM and use them both in crossfire? The 2GB card will be the main card, the 1GB one will be the secondary one... Also, does anyone have for sale a XFX HD 6950 with 2GB RAM in the UK? lol

Intel Core I5-3570K @ 4.4GHz, AMD Radeon HD6950, Asus P8Z77-I Deluxe motherboard, 8GB DDR3 Corsair RAM, Corsair H100, 60GB Agility3 OS drive + 1TB WD Blue drive. 

I use this rig mainly for facebook and emails. Pointless effort to be honest!

Yes, but 1GB will be actual usable amount of VRAM

The faster card of the two will also downclock to the speed of the slower card. 

Error: 410

You should be able to but with modern games you will be hitting the cap with 1gb of ram, because the 2gb will become a 1gb card. Because you usually get more cards to improve frames, but if you hit the cap on framebuffer your not gaining any fps. So I wouldn't do it

Stock coolers - The sound of bare minimum

how much would u be able to get a second 6950 for? u may just want to upgrade the GPU instead. it might mess things up, although im not sure

Okay then, that would be a waste.... and if I crossfired two 1GB cards, would the effective Video RAM be 2GB or still 1GB between both cards? And how much improvement would I see with this upgrade?

Intel Core I5-3570K @ 4.4GHz, AMD Radeon HD6950, Asus P8Z77-I Deluxe motherboard, 8GB DDR3 Corsair RAM, Corsair H100, 60GB Agility3 OS drive + 1TB WD Blue drive. 

Okay then, that would be a waste.... and if I crossfired two 1GB cards, would the effective Video RAM be 2GB or still 1GB between both cards? And how much improvement would I see with this upgrade?

1GB but there are some games that use all the vram on the 2 cards (i was using 3gigs of vram with 1gb and 2gb 7850's in crossfire) like crysis2 either way dont do it also have you tried unlocking your 2GB 6950?

mY sYsTeM iS Not pErfoRmInG aS gOOd As I sAW oN yOuTuBe. WhA t IS a GoOd FaN CuRVe??!!? wHat aRe tEh GoOd OvERclok SeTTinGS FoR My CaRd??  HoW CaN I foRcE my GpU to uSe 1o0%? BuT WiLL i HaVE Bo0tllEnEcKs? RyZEN dOeS NoT peRfORm BetTer wItH HiGhER sPEED RaM!!dId i WiN teH SiLiCON LotTerrYyOu ShoUlD dEsHrOuD uR GPUmy SYstEm iS UNDerPerforMiNg iN WarzONEcan mY Pc Run WiNdOwS 11 ?woUld BaKInG MY GRaPHics card fIX it? MultimETeR TeSTiNG!! aMd'S GpU DrIvErS aRe as goOD aS NviDia's YOU SHoUlD oVERCloCk yOUR ramS To 5000C18

I didn't know I could unlock the extra 1GB buffer, I know that some versions of my current card have the BIOS switch to allow ease of flashing and something to fall back on if the flash kills or goes wrong. 

Are there any instructions to unlock the additional RAM?

I didn't know I could unlock the extra 1GB buffer, I know that some versions of my current card have the BIOS switch to allow ease of flashing and something to fall back on if the flash kills or goes wrong. 

Are there any instructions to unlock the additional RAM?

no you cant unlock extra memory i mean you can unlock a HD6950 2GB in to HD6970

i thought you had 2GB version sorry about misstatement 

mY sYsTeM iS Not pErfoRmInG aS gOOd As I sAW oN yOuTuBe. WhA t IS a GoOd FaN CuRVe??!!? wHat aRe tEh GoOd OvERclok SeTTinGS FoR My CaRd??  HoW CaN I foRcE my GpU to uSe 1o0%? BuT WiLL i HaVE Bo0tllEnEcKs? RyZEN dOeS NoT peRfORm BetTer wItH HiGhER sPEED RaM!!dId i WiN teH SiLiCON LotTerrYyOu ShoUlD dEsHrOuD uR GPUmy SYstEm iS UNDerPerforMiNg iN WarzONEcan mY Pc Run WiNdOwS 11 ?woUld BaKInG MY GRaPHics card fIX it? MultimETeR TeSTiNG!! aMd'S GpU DrIvErS aRe as goOD aS NviDia's YOU SHoUlD oVERCloCk yOUR ramS To 5000C18

no you cant unlock extra memory i mean you can unlock a HD6950 2GB in to HD6970

i thought you had 2GB version sorry about misstatement 

I have a 1GB card right now, but I saw a nice attractively priced card which is all identical right down to the cooler apart from mines the cut back 1GB version, it's actually cheaper than what I paid for my 1GB card. I'm half tempted to go for it.

1GB but there are some games that use all the vram on the 2 cards (i was using 3gigs of vram with 1gb and 2gb 7850's in crossfire) like crysis2 either way dont do it also have you tried unlocking your 2GB 6950?

Nope. That is incorrect. The way crossfire works is by copying the ram of one card into the other

Finally my Santa hat doesn't look out of place

I have a 1GB card right now, but I saw a nice attractively priced card which is all identical right down to the cooler apart from mines the cut back 1GB version, it's actually cheaper than what I paid for my 1GB card. I'm half tempted to go for it.

how much is an attractive price?

Old Rig | Cpu - Intel Q6600 @ 3.5Ghz | Cooler - Cooler Master Hyper 212+ | Mobo - Asus Rampage Extreme | Ram - 8GB OCZ Gold 1600mhz | Gpu - 2x Asus DK Radeon HD 4870 1GB (Crossfire) | Psu - Corsair TX750W | Case - Thermaltake Element G

New Rig | Cpu - Intel 4770K @ 4.5Ghz | Cooler - Swiftech H220 | Mobo - Asus Z87 Deluxe | Ram - 16GB Kinston Hyper X Beast @ 2400Mhz | Gpu - Sapphire R9 290X | Ssd - Kingston Hyper X Beast 3K 240GB | Psu - Corsair HX850W | Case - Fractal Design Define R4

It's okay, I bought one now which rocks! Accept it's got to be sent back as it has faulty RAM!

Anyhow, I also noticed I have another bottlekneck... a 600W PSU LMAO!!! It gets expensive!!!