Gaming motherboard

No such thing as a gaming mobo. Just get one that does what you need. The motherboard doesn't really affect performance.

If you ever need help with a build, read the following before posting: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/3061-build-plan-thread-recommendations-please-read-before-posting/
Also, make sure to quote a post or tag a member when replying or else they won't get a notification that you replied to them.

No such thing as a gaming mobo. Just get one that does what you need. The motherboard doesn't really affect performance.

I was looking at the z87-gd65 and it was geared more towards gaming, so I figured there would be more like it

Rampage VI black edition.

But srsly, this question has been asked more times than I care to remember. Why didn't you use the serach function before you made another thread? Geezus!

http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/67960-right-choice-of-motherboard/?hl=gaming

http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/64785-which-motherboard/?hl=gaming#entry918580

http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/66362-z87-motherboard-under-150-or-cheaper/?hl=gaming

Intel 4770k@4.6GHz, ASUS ROG Maximus VI Hero, Kingston HyperX Beast 2x8GB 2400MHz CL11, Gigabyte GTX 1070 Gaming, Kingston HyperX 3k 240GB - RAID0 (2x120Gb), 2xWD 1TB (Blue and Green), Corsair H100i, Corsair AX860, CoolerMaster HAF X, ASUS STRIX Tactic pro, Logitech G400S, HyperX Cloud II, Logitech X530, Acer Predator X34.

I was looking at the z87-gd65 and it was geared more towards gaming, so I figured there would be more like it

Ehh.. not really. "Gaming mobo" is just a label to entice gamers and isn't actually a class for which to describe a mobo. 

If you ever need help with a build, read the following before posting: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/3061-build-plan-thread-recommendations-please-read-before-posting/
Also, make sure to quote a post or tag a member when replying or else they won't get a notification that you replied to them.

The Z87-A is a good choice. Personally wouldn't buy the GD65 Gaming if you are just going for it because it says that it is a gaming motherboard. I would go with the one that has the features that you need. I personally don't need like Killer NIC and support for 3000mhz ram. What website are you buying it at?

Hello and Welcome to LTT Forum!

If you are a new member, please read the rules located in "Forum News and Info". Thanks!  :)

Linus Tech Tips Forum Code of Conduct           FAQ           Privacy Policy & Legal Disclaimer

The Z87-A is a good choice. Personally wouldn't buy the GD65 Gaming if you are just going for it because it says that it is a gaming motherboard. I would go with the one that has the features that you need. I personally don't need like Killer NIC and support for 3000mhz ram. What website are you buying it at?

I'm going for the GD65 because in almost all tests there vas a 200MHz+ overclock headroom above other boards from it's class (i.e. hero VI), also it gave on average 2-4 FPS more in tests (negligable I know but why not? - every fps counts sometimes) :) Also, I wanna play around a bit with the Virtu MVP, don't get me wrong, it's a POS software right now, but still wanna test it to see what it could do when it works properly. This will be my first MSI board, and first enthusiast board that isn't from asus.

Edit: but, yes, the Z87-A is a good choice indeed. If you're not a savant even better. :)

Intel 4770k@4.6GHz, ASUS ROG Maximus VI Hero, Kingston HyperX Beast 2x8GB 2400MHz CL11, Gigabyte GTX 1070 Gaming, Kingston HyperX 3k 240GB - RAID0 (2x120Gb), 2xWD 1TB (Blue and Green), Corsair H100i, Corsair AX860, CoolerMaster HAF X, ASUS STRIX Tactic pro, Logitech G400S, HyperX Cloud II, Logitech X530, Acer Predator X34.

As @WoodenMarker has stated, their isn't a "gaming" motherboard, but more of feature sets oriented towards gaming, like ASUS's SonicRadar thingy.

I agree with the others though, the GD65 is a great motherboard! But if it doesn't have the features you need, you could get away with a cheaper motherboard with features you want, everyone likes saving £££!

CPU: Intel Core i5 2550K @ 4GHz | Cooler: Gelid Tranquillo Rev. 2 | Mobo: Gigabyte GA-Z68AP-D3

GPU: XFX 1GB HD6850 OC'd | SSD: OCZ Agility 3 60GB | HDD: Samsung 500GB | PSU: Corsair HX520W | Case: Zalman Z11+

As @WoodenMarker has stated, their isn't a "gaming" motherboard, but more of feature sets oriented towards gaming, like ASUS's SonicRadar thingy.

I agree with the others though, the GD65 is a great motherboard! But if it doesn't have the features you need, you could get away with a cheaper motherboard with features you want, everyone likes saving £££!

Yah, a GD65+ and asus xonar card with that sonic radar would be a nice combo. Although I've seen the sonic radar in action and it isn't as nearly as helpful as it seems. It's just a gimmick that you'd play with for a couple of days and leave it after that.

I must say I like the AI suite much more than the MSI command center. Seems more intuitive, mature too. But that's software and it can always be updated.

I'm going for the GD65 because in almost all tests there vas a 200MHz+ overclock headroom above other boards from it's class (i.e. hero VI), also it gave on average 2-4 FPS more in tests (negligable I know but why not? - every fps counts sometimes) :) Also, I wanna play around a bit with the Virtu MVP, don't get me wrong, it's a POS software right now, but still wanna test it to see what it could do when it works properly. This will be my first MSI board, and first enthusiast board that isn't from asus.

Edit: but, yes, the Z87-A is a good choice indeed. If you're not a savant even better. :)

The overclock headroom won't matter until you start doing extreme oc'ing with liquid nitrogen and such. We're talking at the very least a 4.8 ghz oc. A better mobo won't automatically give you a higher oc. It won't affect it at all unless you're hitting the upper limits of the board already and this doesn't really happen as much with the z87 chipset as it has with others. Every z87 mobo can hit 4.8 ghz just fine provided you have adequate cooling and a good chip.

Where did you get your information about getting more fps? The mobo should have little to no effect on performance. 

The overclock headroom won't matter until you start doing extreme oc'ing with liquid nitrogen and such. We're talking at the very least a 4.8 ghz oc. A better mobo won't automatically give you a higher oc. It won't affect it at all unless you're hitting the upper limits of the board already and this doesn't really happen as much with the z87 chipset as it has with others. Every z87 mobo can hit 4.8 ghz just fine provided you have adequate cooling and a good chip.

Where did you get your information about getting more fps? The mobo should have little to no effect on performance. 

I really can't remember the sites where I've seen it, as I read about the board when it came out, but I remember all of the tests were done on the same cooler (H100i), and with the same chip physically, so those factors are eliminated. Also, I remember it was the only mobo with german TUV certification (very prestigious here in EU) in computex 2013, also it got the best choice award at computex 2013.

Keep in mind that this is my choice for a board and that it does not by any stretch of the imagination mean it's objectively better than other boards in its class. Also, I know that the headroom isn't that big and that it makes next to no difference to me IRL but it's nice to have a board with that headroom compared to other boards in class wouldn't you think? It's a clasic psychological effect "mine's bigger than yours" here. And we all like to think that SOMETIMES that 1fps makes the difference between life and death in an online deathmatch :) And in the worst case, you get the same performance as the more expensive ASUS Hero VI which is approx. 70$ more expensive here than the MSI.