2GB DDR3 or 1GB GDDR5?

Nowadays since even 2gb of VRAM is starting to become not enough in my opinion, i've wondered what is better 2GB of DDR3 or 1GB of GDDR5? I know that GDDR5 is much faster, but games like GTA5 require at least 2GB of VRAM. I'm just curious, and would love to hear what you guys have to say. 

Eh, anything still using 2GB of DDR3 for VRAM is going to have trouble running anything anyways. my GPU with 1GB GDDR5 can run some really old games still though.

You'd have to compare 2 specific GPUs for a good idea like Comic_Sans_MS said.

Gaming - Ryzen 5800X3D | 64GB 3200mhz  MSI 6900 XT Mini-ITX SFF Build

Home Server (Unraid OS) - Ryzen 2700x | 48GB 3200mhz |  EVGA 1060 6GB | 6TB SSD Cache [3x2TB] 66TB HDD [11x6TB]

1 minute ago, Comic_Sans_MS said:

What GPU are you looking at?

I'm not looking to buy a GPU like this, but i know that there are versions of the MSI R7 250 with 1GB of GDDR5 and 2GB of DDR3. Just curious as to what one would be the better purchase these days. 

Do you mean GDDR3? DDR3 is DRAM, which GDDR3 is VRAM

QUOTE/TAG ME WHEN REPLYING

Spend As Much Time Writing Your Question As You Want Me To Spend Responding To It.

If I'm wrong, please point it out. I'm always learning & I won't bite.

Desktop:

Delidded Core i7 4770K - GTX 1070 ROG Strix - 16GB DDR3 - Lots of RGB lights I never change

Laptop:

HP Spectre X360 - i7 8560U - MX150 - 2TB SSD - 16GB DDR4

4 minutes ago, DaSheepKing said:

Nowadays since even 2gb of VRAM is starting to become not enough in my opinion, i've wondered what is better 2GB of DDR3 or 1GB of GDDR5? I know that GDDR5 is much faster, but games like GTA5 require at least 2GB of VRAM. I'm just curious, and would love to hear what you guys have to say. 

GTA 5 requiring 2gb of vram is  false I can run gta 5 on my home theater rig which i stuck a 1gb video card in for now and I can play at 1080P 30fps or 720P @ 60.

This could be useful:

Spend As Much Time Writing Your Question As You Want Me To Spend Responding To It.

Desktop:

Delidded Core i7 4770K - GTX 1070 ROG Strix - 16GB DDR3 - Lots of RGB lights I never change

Laptop:

Just now, DaSheepKing said:

I'm not looking to buy a GPU like this, but i know that there are versions of the MSI R7 250 with 1GB of GDDR5 and 2GB of DDR3. Just curious as to what one would be the better purchase these days. 

Neither. If someone wants to buy a R7 250, they are doing something wrong. 

1 minute ago, striker477 said:

GTA 5 requiring 2gb of vram is  false I can run gta 5 on my home theater rig which i stuck a 1gb video card in for now and I can play at 1080P 30fps or 720P @ 60.

I didn't know that haha, thanks for letting me know. 

3 minutes ago, DaSheepKing said:

The 2GB is much better. GDDR5 and GDDR3 are very comparable

Desktop:

Laptop:

Just now, DaSheepKing said:

I didn't know that haha, thanks for letting me know. 

Yeah I tried it out just for the heck of it. It's a i3 6100 with a old Radon HD 5770 I had lying around in it for now until i upgrade.

Just now, Comic_Sans_MS said:

Neither. If someone wants to buy a R7 250, they are doing something wrong. 

The MSI Radeon R7 250 OC has dropped to $45 on Newegg with a mail-in rebate. That's a pretty good deal in my opinion, even though it makes sense just to save for a better one.

4 minutes ago, DaSheepKing said:

The MSI Radeon R7 250 OC has dropped to $45 on Newegg with a mail-in rebate. That's a pretty good deal in my opinion, even though it makes sense just to save for a better one.

Not a good deal. If they can only afford $45 for a dGPU, they should be using the integrated on the CPU or be buying used.

$84 for a R7 360 and $87 for a GTX 750ti is the bear essentials people should buy.