OVER CLOCKING DOWN CLOCKS MY CPU

Go to solution Solved by Godlygamer23,

Are you sure that the CPU isn't downclocking itself to save power? If Windows is set to Balanced mode, the CPU frequency will change depending on the load.

Dude im running a i5 6400 lga1151 Asrock Z170 Pro 4s bios l2.78

every time i overclock it boots into windows fine after like turning it off and on once ore twice but when i check my cpu's baseclock it is a lot lower

does this mean I have the microcode I can still boot windows and i never updated my bios help please

Are you sure that the CPU isn't downclocking itself to save power? If Windows is set to Balanced mode, the CPU frequency will change depending on the load.

"It pays to keep an open mind, but not so open your brain falls out." - Carl Sagan.

"I can explain it to you, but I can't understand it for you" - Edward I. Koch

Buy an overclockable CPU.

NEW PC build: Blank Heaven   minimalist white and black PC     Old S340 build log "White Heaven"        The "LIGHTCANON" flashlight build log        Project AntiRoll (prototype)        Custom speaker project

Spoiler

Ryzen 3950X | AMD Vega Frontier Edition | ASUS X570 Pro WS | Corsair Vengeance LPX 64GB | NZXT H500 | Seasonic Prime Fanless TX-700 | Custom loop | Coolermaster SK630 White | Logitech MX Master 2S | Samsung 980 Pro 1TB + 970 Pro 512GB | Samsung 58" 4k TV | Scarlett 2i4 | 2x AT2020

By never updated your bios, do you mean you haven't overclocked through the bios?

PC - CPU Ryzen 5 1600 - GPU Power Color Radeon 5700XT- Motherboard Gigabyte GA-AB350 Gaming - RAM 16GB Corsair Vengeance RGB - Storage 525GB Crucial MX300 SSD + 120GB Kingston SSD   PSU Corsair CX750M - Cooling Stock - Case White NZXT S340

Peripherals - Mouse Logitech G502 Wireless - Keyboard Logitech G915 TKL  Headset Razer Kraken Pro V2's - Displays 2x Acer 24" GF246(1080p, 75hz, Freesync) Steering Wheel & Pedals Logitech G29 & Shifter

The 6400 is a locked chip, if you are doing BCLK overclocking you want to go higher with the values from 100 to 101, and such. Also use cpu-z to measure the speed task manager is known to be wrong a lot.

•E5-2670 @2.7GHz • Intel DX79SI • EVGA 970 SSC• GSkill Sniper 8Gb ddr3 • Corsair Spec 02 • Corsair RM750 • HyperX 120Gb SSD • Hitachi 2Tb HDD •

Change windows power mode to "max performance" 

Ryzen Ram Guide

My Project Logs   Iced Blood    Temporal Snow    Temporal Snow Ryzen Refresh

CPU - Ryzen 1700 @ 4Ghz  Motherboard - Gigabyte AX370 Aorus Gaming 5   Ram - 16Gb GSkill Trident Z RGB 3200  GPU - Palit 1080GTX Gamerock Premium  Storage - Samsung XP941 256GB, Crucial MX300 525GB, Seagate Barracuda 1TB   PSU - Fractal Design Newton R3 1000W  Case - INWIN 303 White Display - Asus PG278Q Gsync 144hz 1440P

1 minute ago, Godlygamer23 said:

How do i check to see if windows is set to balanced mode im a noob to overclocking 

2 minutes ago, RKRiley said:

By never updated your bios, do you mean you haven't overclocked through the bios?

i havent updated to the version where the overclock feature is taken away by the mobo manufacture 

Just now, lilywhiteffs said:

How do i check to see if windows is set to balanced mode im a noob to overclocking 

Go into Control Panel, navigate to "System and Security," click on "Power Options," It should show you the power plan there.  

"It pays to keep an open mind, but not so open your brain falls out." - Carl Sagan.

4 minutes ago, Enderman said:

Buy an overclockable CPU.

I did the mobo i brought said i could overclock

1 minute ago, lilywhiteffs said:

i havent updated to the version where the overclock feature is taken away by the mobo manufacture 

The overclocking feature removal is only for BCLK overclocking on CPUs that have no unlocked multipliers. 

if youre on windows 10, start > settings > system > power & sleep > additional power settings > high performance

PC - CPU Ryzen 5 1600 - GPU Power Color Radeon 5700XT- Motherboard Gigabyte GA-AB350 Gaming - RAM 16GB Corsair Vengeance RGB - Storage 525GB Crucial MX300 SSD + 120GB Kingston SSD   PSU Corsair CX750M - Cooling Stock - Case White NZXT S340

Peripherals - Mouse Logitech G502 Wireless - Keyboard Logitech G915 TKL  Headset Razer Kraken Pro V2's - Displays 2x Acer 24" GF246(1080p, 75hz, Freesync) Steering Wheel & Pedals Logitech G29 & Shifter

The CPU cannot overclock without using BCLK. It has a locked multiplier. 

You need to buy a K CPU like the 6600k or 6700k.

NEW PC build: Blank Heaven   minimalist white and black PC     Old S340 build log "White Heaven"        The "LIGHTCANON" flashlight build log        Project AntiRoll (prototype)        Custom speaker project

Spoiler

Ryzen 3950X | AMD Vega Frontier Edition | ASUS X570 Pro WS | Corsair Vengeance LPX 64GB | NZXT H500 | Seasonic Prime Fanless TX-700 | Custom loop | Coolermaster SK630 White | Logitech MX Master 2S | Samsung 980 Pro 1TB + 970 Pro 512GB | Samsung 58" 4k TV | Scarlett 2i4 | 2x AT2020

Just now, Godlygamer23 said:

The CPU cannot overclock without using BCLK. It has a locked multiplier. 

yeah the mother board i brought has advertised and has bclk overclock

2 minutes ago, RKRiley said:

if youre on windows 10, start > settings > system > power & sleep > additional power settings > high performance

oh thanks i'll try that 

yeah the mother board i brought has advertised and has bclk overclock

And the motherboard may have the BIOS on it where that ability is taken away on locked CPUs.

1 minute ago, Enderman said:

You need to buy a K CPU like the 6600k or 6700k.

Assuming its not a typo on the main post, well done for being the only person to spot that. i hadn't even realised its a non K

And the motherboard may have the BIOS on it where that ability is taken away on locked CPUs.

but if that where the case im told i shoudnt be able to boot into windows at all 

but if that where the case im told i shoudnt be able to boot into windows at all 

What are you actually adjusting in the BIOS?

1 minute ago, RKRiley said:

Assuming its not a typo on the main post, well done for being the only person to spot that. i hadn't even realised its a non K

My motherboard advertised overclocking on non k parts only reason i got it look it up 

My motherboard advertised overclocking on non k parts only reason i got it look it up 

What motherboard is it and where was it advertised?

But you're not supposed to overclock non-K CPUs.

That's why intel forced asrock to stop making the BIOS that allows overclocking by adjusting base clock.

If you want to overclock, then buy a proper overclocking CPU and stop trying to use workarounds.

Spoiler

What are you actually adjusting in the BIOS?

these are the instructions i was following 

• Enter the BIOS
  • Go to OC Tweaker – CPU Configuration
  • Set the BCLK you need (in my case 122)
  • Go to OC Tweaker – Voltage Configuration
  • Set the CPU Core Voltage to 1.325 and the the CPU Loadline Calibration to Level 1
  • Go to OC Tweaker – DRAM Configuration
  • Load the XMP Profile
  • Adjust the DRAM Frequency to a value around 2600 MHz

Just now, Enderman said:

But you're not supposed to overclock non-K CPUs.

That's why intel forced asrock to stop making the BIOS that allows overclocking by adjusting base clock.

If you want to overclock, then buy a proper overclocking CPU and stop trying to use workarounds.

Wow