Hello. I am using this PC at work for video production:

Cooler Master V750

Gigabyte GA-X99-UD3

Intel Core i7-5820K cooled by a Cooler Master V8 GTS

2x 8 GB Kingston DDR4-2133

Asus Strix Nvidia GeForce GTX 970

SSD Samsung 850 Pro 256 GB

Windows 10 Pro 64 bit.

Everything is running at stock speeds, BIOS, drivers and Windows all updated.

The problem is this: when using Adobe Media Encoder to export videos, the PC randomly reboots. No BSOD, no warnings, nothing. It just reboots itself like someone is pressing the reset button. This happens only when using the CUDA acceleration for the exporting.

PC reboots even when working with Premiere Pro with effects or other things that use the CUDA acceleration of the GTX 970. Nothing happens when the CUDA acceleration is disabled. 

These are the tests we did to understand where the problem is:

1) Change the video card with another one in this PC and test the GTX 970 in another PC. The GTX 970 in another PC gave 0 problems, worked just fine. This PC with another graphics card still reboots in the same conditions.

2) Change the PCI-Express slot. Same behavior.

3) Test memory with MemTest86. No errors detected in RAM.

4) Test CPU with Prime95 and Aida64. No overheating issues, no thermal warning, nothing.

5) Test the GTX 970 in this PC with FurMark. In this case, it is much more difficult to replicate the reboot. Sometimes it reboots, sometimes it doesn't.

6) Change the PCI Express cables from the PSU. No effects or changes.

7) Format the OS. The problem started when we used to run Windows 8.1, persisted when we upgraded to Windows 10 (with a clean install, no direct update) and even reinstalling Windows 10 again.

The CPU is OK, RAM is OK, the graphics card in another PC worked just fine. We didn't try with another PSU or another motherboard because we can't have other ones of these right now. Any suggestions? There is something else that can trigger those random reboots?

check bios to see video settings (auto,primary etc) x4,x8,x16 lanes.... this is only a guess

1 minute ago, jools said:

check bios to see video settings (auto,primary etc) x4,x8,x16 lanes.... this is only a guess

Primary video output is set to slot 1 (the one with the card currently installed), running at 16x. We tried the other slots (running at 8x) as well and nothing changed.

Try a different driver? 
https://www.reddit.com/r/nvidia/comments/52j9k3/latest_stable_driver/
372.70 is best driver I think
EDIT
: nvm, have you tried a different power supply? Could be a power issue, but that's highly unlikely.
You could be having an issue like:

hello!

is it me you're looking for?

ᴾC SᴾeCS ᴰoWᴺ ᴮEᴸoW

Spoiler

Desktop: X99-PC

CPU: i7 5820k

Mobo: X99 Deluxe

Cooler: Dark Rock Pro 3

RAM: 32GB DDR4
GPU: GTX 1080

Storage: 1TB 850 Evo, 1TB HDD, bunch of external hard drives
PSU: EVGA G2 750w

Peripherals: Logitech G502, Ducky One 711

Audio: Xonar U7, O2 amplifier (RIP), HD6XX

Monitors: 4k 24" Dell monitor, 1080p 24" Asus monitor

Laptop:

-Overkill Dell XPS

Fully maxed out early 2017 Dell XPS 15, GTX 1050 4GB, 7700HQ, 1TB nvme SSD, 32GB RAM, 4k display. 97Whr battery :x 
Dell was having a $600 off sale for the fully specced out model, so I decided to get it :P

-Crapbook

Fully specced out early 2013 Macbook "pro" with gt 650m and constant 105c temperature on the CPU (GPU is 80-90C) when doing anything intensive...

A 2013 laptop with a regular sized battery still has better battery life than a 2017 laptop with a massive battery! I think this is a testament to apple's ability at making laptops, or maybe how little CPU technology has improved even 4+ years later (at least, until the recent introduction of 15W 4 core CPUs). Anyway, I'm never going to get a 35W CPU laptop again unless battery technology becomes ~5x better than as it is in 2018.

Apple knows how to make proper consumer-grade laptops (they don't know how to make pro laptops though). I guess this mostly software power efficiency related, but getting a mac makes perfect sense if you want a portable/powerful laptop that can do anything you want it to with great battery life.

Try updating the BIOS as it could be a motherboard specific issue, try using different versions of drivers

hello!

is it me you're looking for?

ᴾC SᴾeCS ᴰoWᴺ ᴮEᴸoW

Spoiler

Desktop: X99-PC

CPU: i7 5820k

Mobo: X99 Deluxe

Cooler: Dark Rock Pro 3

RAM: 32GB DDR4
GPU: GTX 1080

Storage: 1TB 850 Evo, 1TB HDD, bunch of external hard drives
PSU: EVGA G2 750w

Peripherals: Logitech G502, Ducky One 711

Audio: Xonar U7, O2 amplifier (RIP), HD6XX

Monitors: 4k 24" Dell monitor, 1080p 24" Asus monitor

Laptop:

-Overkill Dell XPS

Fully maxed out early 2017 Dell XPS 15, GTX 1050 4GB, 7700HQ, 1TB nvme SSD, 32GB RAM, 4k display. 97Whr battery :x 
Dell was having a $600 off sale for the fully specced out model, so I decided to get it :P

-Crapbook

Fully specced out early 2013 Macbook "pro" with gt 650m and constant 105c temperature on the CPU (GPU is 80-90C) when doing anything intensive...

A 2013 laptop with a regular sized battery still has better battery life than a 2017 laptop with a massive battery! I think this is a testament to apple's ability at making laptops, or maybe how little CPU technology has improved even 4+ years later (at least, until the recent introduction of 15W 4 core CPUs). Anyway, I'm never going to get a 35W CPU laptop again unless battery technology becomes ~5x better than as it is in 2018.

Apple knows how to make proper consumer-grade laptops (they don't know how to make pro laptops though). I guess this mostly software power efficiency related, but getting a mac makes perfect sense if you want a portable/powerful laptop that can do anything you want it to with great battery life.

Updated Nvidia graphics drivers this morning, the UEFI is on the latest version. The issue presented even with previous version F20 and now with version F22g nothing changed.

adobe and supported gfx cards. some versions of adobe have supported gfx file that enable cuda.

34 minutes ago, jools said:

adobe and supported gfx cards. some versions of adobe have supported gfx file that enable cuda.

CUDA is perfectly supported and enabled on the GTX 970 without any modification.

20 minutes ago, jools said:

ignore above pre 2010 lol

We are using the latest 2015 update of Adobe Creative Cloud.

try swapping psu my last guess

also did you check event viewer, pwr krnl error

Based on what you've ruled out already, it sounds like it might be related to power management if it's not the PSU. By any chance, do you have Link State Power Management enabled in Power Options under PCI Express? Try changing that to off if it's set. You could also try going to NVidia Control Panel, and under Manage 3D Settings, change Power management mode to Prefer maximum performance. You can use GPU-Z to watch for when/if the GPU is switching from high to lower speed links to confirm the settings made a difference. Might also be worth monitoring its power consumption and temperatures under the Sensors tab while you perform the tests.

Although you've more or less ruled out the GPU being bad, one other thing you might use to test is MemtestG80, which is designed to stress test CUDA logic and video memory. You never know.

Any events logged under System in Event Viewer when the system reboots?

Some updates: we swapped the motherboard with a Sabertooth X99, reinstalled Windows 10 and everything else from scratch and... nothing, the system still reboots when the GPU is used to export videos or when some GPU-accelerated effect is used in the Premiere timeline. The last thing left to try is another PSU, we will do it in the next days.

On 25/10/2016 at 8:57 PM, Runefox said:

Based on what you've ruled out already, it sounds like it might be related to power management if it's not the PSU. By any chance, do you have Link State Power Management enabled in Power Options under PCI Express? Try changing that to off if it's set. You could also try going to NVidia Control Panel, and under Manage 3D Settings, change Power management mode to Prefer maximum performance. You can use GPU-Z to watch for when/if the GPU is switching from high to lower speed links to confirm the settings made a difference. Might also be worth monitoring its power consumption and temperatures under the Sensors tab while you perform the tests.

Although you've more or less ruled out the GPU being bad, one other thing you might use to test is MemtestG80, which is designed to stress test CUDA logic and video memory. You never know.

Any events logged under System in Event Viewer when the system reboots?

Already tried both the options in Windows power settings and in the Nvidia control panel. They seem to do have nothing to do with the issue, since the PC reboots in the same moments regardless of what we choose in those settings. Temperatures and voltages from GPU-Z look always OK. As soon as I can I will post them.

MemtestG80 is something I have never heard of, I will surely try it, thanks.

Regarding events from the system event viewer, I can't spot anything in particular, but I will post some screenshots as soon as I can.