Google Virus

So I keep getting these weird pop ups that I literally got out of nowhere. It's only on Google chrome and it sucks. I need to get rid of it. It is adware from Counterflix if that information helps. PLz halp

2 minutes ago, Marcus Torre DeProspero said:

So I keep getting these weird pop ups that I literally got out of nowhere. It's only on Google chrome and it sucks. I need to get rid of it. It is adware from Counterflix if that information helps. PLz halp

https://malwaretips.com/blogs/remove-counterflix-ads/

basically, just remove what you can manually, then run some antimalware of your choice to try to cleanup the rest.

******If you paste in text into your post, please click the "remove formatting" button for night theme users.******

CPU- Intel 6700k OC to 4.69 Ghz GPU- NVidia Geforce GTX 970 (MSI) RAM- 16gb DDR4 2400 SSD-2x500gb samsung 850 EVO(SATA) Raid 0 HDD- 2tb Seagate Case- H440 Red w/ custom lighting Motherboard - MSI Z170 Gaming A OS- Windows 10 Mouse- Razer Naga Epic Chroma, Final Mouse 2016 turney proKeyboard- Corsair k70 Cherry MX brown

Just now, Marcus Torre DeProspero said:

that didn't work because no matter where I look it up COunterflix doesn't exist

Did you follow the other instructions on the site I directed you too? If you look in change or remove programs, it should show up there. If it doesn't, then just move on to the next step (hit it with anti malware).

******If you paste in text into your post, please click the "remove formatting" button for night theme users.******

CPU- Intel 6700k OC to 4.69 Ghz GPU- NVidia Geforce GTX 970 (MSI) RAM- 16gb DDR4 2400 SSD-2x500gb samsung 850 EVO(SATA) Raid 0 HDD- 2tb Seagate Case- H440 Red w/ custom lighting Motherboard - MSI Z170 Gaming A OS- Windows 10 Mouse- Razer Naga Epic Chroma, Final Mouse 2016 turney proKeyboard- Corsair k70 Cherry MX brown

1 hour ago, bgibbz said:

Did you follow the other instructions on the site I directed you too? If you look in change or remove programs, it should show up there. If it doesn't, then just move on to the next step (hit it with anti malwarearrow-10x10.png).

I've already tried that many times and like I said " I looked everywhere and it doesn't show up ANYWHERE." 

2 minutes ago, Marcus Torre DeProspero said:

I've already tried that many times and like I said " I looked everywhere and it doesn't show up ANYWHERE." 

Well if anti malware doesn't work, then your only other choice is to reset windows. This will delete all of your programs and files so backup what you need.

1 hour ago, bgibbz said:

Well if anti malware doesn't work, then your only other choice is to reset windows. This will delete all of your programs and files so backup what you need.

are you like stupid or something.? It is only in google/ google related browsers. 

1 minute ago, Marcus Torre DeProspero said:

are you like stupid or something.? It is only in google/ google related browsers. 

Well everything that I have read has said that it embeds itself within windows and the registry. If it was as simple as it being confined to google chrome, all you would need to do is uninstall/reinstall chrome.

1 minute ago, psycoUSA said:

get adblock 

simply hiding the popups isn't an appropriate way to deal with adware. adware is a potential security risk, and removing it from the system is the only permanent solution.

Just now, bgibbz said:

simply hiding the popups isn't an appropriate way to deal with adware. adware is a potential security risk, and removing it from the system is the only permanent solution.

reinstall windows lol or go to control panel and sort programs by date installed and delete every program on the day you suspect that you got the virus (i did it to my old ass dell) and if that presists go to program files on C: and look for stupidly named programs like content push on my case 

Just now, psycoUSA said:

reinstall windows lol or go to control panel and sort programs by date installed and delete every program on the day you suspect that you got the virus (i did it to my old ass dell) and if that presists go to program files on C: and look for stupidly named programs like content push on my case 

Yep... this is exactly what I recommended. Clear out any and all programs that you don't recognize, then hit it with multiple anti malware software. If that doesn't work(which it should) then reset windows. 

Just now, bgibbz said:

Yep... this is exactly what I recommended. Clear out any and all programs that you don't recognize, then hit it with multiple anti malware software. If that doesn't work(which it should) then reset windows. 

then why is the op getting salty lol? if you dont want to get help solve it yourself

18 minutes ago, Marcus Torre DeProspero said:

You have a virus/malware.

The best way to get rid of it 100% is to clean install windows.

You already said that malwarebytes wasn't able to find it, so....

NEW PC build: Blank Heaven   minimalist white and black PC     Old S340 build log "White Heaven"        The "LIGHTCANON" flashlight build log        Project AntiRoll (prototype)        Custom speaker project

Spoiler

Ryzen 3950X | AMD Vega Frontier Edition | ASUS X570 Pro WS | Corsair Vengeance LPX 64GB | NZXT H500 | Seasonic Prime Fanless TX-700 | Custom loop | Coolermaster SK630 White | Logitech MX Master 2S | Samsung 980 Pro 1TB + 970 Pro 512GB | Samsung 58" 4k TV | Scarlett 2i4 | 2x AT2020

1 hour ago, Marcus Torre DeProspero said:

I was about to help you, but now I'm not sure if I want to for fear of being attacked. However, I'm nice, so here we go:

1. Uninstall anything suspicious in your add/remove programs list.
    If you're unsure, please take screenshots of the list (multiple if you have to scroll) and attach to your next post BEFORE running any of the next steps.

2. Download JRT and run it as administrator. When it gets to the last step, DON'T let it restart your PC.
    Just let it sit on whatever screen comes up when it says it needs to restart your PC.

3. Download ADWCleaner and run it as administrator. Also DON'T restart your PC, same as JRT above.

4. Download MBAM, install without PRO trial, update, perform FULL scan.
    DON'T perform a hyper or flash scan - you need a full scan.

5. Now you can reboot your PC, fingers crossed that things are gone from Chrome.
    If they are not, we now know it's completely limited to Chrome, and we can wipe out your Chrome profile in the next steps.

Take screenshots along the way for our reference, just in case. This way we'll know for sure whats on the system.

59 minutes ago, bgibbz said:

Well everything that I have read has said that it embeds itself within windows and the registry. If it was as simple as it being confined to google chrome, all you would need to do is uninstall/reinstall chrome.

Unfortunately, a reinstall of Chrome won't solve the problem if it's a rogue extension located in his %LOCALAPPDATA% folder.

That will require manually nuking if JRT, ADWCleaner, or MBAM don't catch the problem the first time.

And even then, some extensions reinstall themselves if they've managed to write themselves into the Windows Registry.
https://developer.chrome.com/extensions/external_extensions

https://www.chromium.org/administrators/configuring-policy-for-extensions

Desktop: KiRaShi-Intel-2022 (i5-12600K, RTX2060) Mobile: OnePlus 5T | Koodo - 75GB Data + Data Rollover for $45/month
Laptop: Dell XPS 15 9560 (the real 15" MacBook Pro that Apple didn't make) Tablet: iPad Mini 5 | Lenovo IdeaPad Duet 10.1
Camera: Canon M6 Mark II | Canon Rebel T1i (500D) | Canon SX280 | Panasonic TS20D Music: Spotify Premium (CIRCA '08)

4 hours ago, kirashi said:

Unfortunately, a reinstall of Chrome won't solve the problem if it's a rogue extension located in his %LOCALAPPDATA% folder.

Oh I know. I tried explaining that to the op multiple times, he didn't seem to get that.

Once you've dabbed around in Windows for a bit, you get to realise how unbelievably easy it is to hide whatever, wherever. If you give something permission to do this, you've got no luck. You can remove it all you want, but changes made to the registry are awkward to tweak back to what they once were.

Eien nante naito iikitte shimattar  /  Amarinimo sabishikute setsunai deshou
Dare mo ga hontou wa shinjitai kedo  /  Uragirarere ba fukaku kizu tsuite shimau mono

Guys. Literally the first link says that counterfix changes your DNS servers to their own, so even if you remove their program, you'll still continue to see ads until you fix your DNS servers. 

Reset chrome to default settings. Look at your TCP/IP options in the internet options and change the DNS servers to 8.8.8.8 and 8.8.4.4 (google's DNS servers.)

First thing, check any addons you have installed to see if any has been updated recently as it's likely that has had added malware included to push adverts.

If it's possible, start chrome with no addons and see if the problem persists and if the problem has gone, then all you have to do is disable each addon to see if the problem goes away again and remove that addon.